Kroger/Albertson's

YGIFS

Yeah, it is always jam packed.  I remember thinking after covid, they’d remove that zigzag queue for checkout.  But nope, it stayed and got bigger.  

she consistently asks what took me so long since it’s just minutes away.  I can everything we need in less than ten minutes.  But checkout lasts another ten minutes on top even though nobody had more than 20 items.  

I miss the snack department but love the wine tastings.  

Their per store sales are so strong in central Texas that Aldi is expediting its expansion plans here ahead of schedule. 

Kroger is a very well run company and grew to dominate the pure play grocery category through acquisition (Fred Meyer, Ralph’s, etc). This is just another -admittedly largest footprint - iteration. The paths to domination in grocery evolved 10 years in about 2 days during Covid March. E-commerce and first party data. Kroger is behind Amazon (Whole Foods) and Walmart in e-commerce but gaining share and launching a hub and spoke high tech ecomm only offering outside of their current footprint. Huge. And they’re kings with 1PD. If the FTC looks at anything it will be the shopper data implications of this merger first and foremost.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:13 PM, ohchaucer said:

Kroger is a very well run company and grew to dominate the pure play grocery category through acquisition (Fred Meyer, Ralph’s, etc). This is just another -admittedly largest footprint - iteration. The paths to domination in grocery evolved 10 years in about 2 days during Covid March. E-commerce and first party data. Kroger is behind Amazon (Whole Foods) and Walmart in e-commerce but gaining share and launching a hub and spoke high tech ecomm only offering outside of their current footprint. Huge. And they’re kings with 1PD. If the FTC looks at anything it will be the shopper data implications of this merger first and foremost.

Pure play e-commerce grocery is still wildly unprofitable.  By "pure play," I do not mean store pick up.  Some retailers report store pick up sales in the e-comm bucket but delivery of low margin grocery items to homes is a money pit.  People will not pay the surcharge with very few exceptions.

Store pick up is very profitable.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2022 at 12:02 PM, YGIFS said:

I don't know how our Randall's survives.  It's the literal half-way point between a higher-end HEB and a Trader Joe's.  I've never seen more than ten people at a time in there.  Nothing could ever possibly takeover the massive spot though, so I still pop in there now and again to avoid the urban blight.  

Anybody know what's happening to the one down on William Cannon?  

On 10/17/2022 at 8:24 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Hobby Lobby 

Yes, now that Brodie Oaks is scheduled to close in the next year or so, the Hobby Lobby moved from there.