Avalanche of bad news - F cancer among it

Brisketexan

That M.D. Anderson is a great place to be. My father worked there in the mid-late 1960s. My mother's cancer surgeon up here at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, a great man, has a son who works there now, I believe in Head & Neck.

Cancer is no longer the death sentence that it was even 25 years ago. It's no picnic, for sure, but my mother beat it six times starting in 1989 before she finally just done wore out this past November.

As you help your young friend just try to keep him in good spirits, and don't let him get down. A willingness to fight means a great deal. And I don't believe in avoiding talking about what he is going through is a good thing. Talk to him about it. Let him explain things as the doctors explain them to him. Talking about it can help too.

• Like 1

That M.D. Anderson is a great place to be. My father worked there in the mid-late 1960s. My mother's cancer surgeon up here at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, a great man, has a son who works there now, I believe in Head & Neck.
Cancer is no longer the death sentence that it was even 25 years ago. It's no picnic, for sure, but my mother beat it six times starting in 1989 before she finally just done wore out this past November.
As you help your young friend just try to keep him in good spirits, and don't let him get down. A willingness to fight means a great deal. And I don't believe in avoiding talking about what he is going through is a good thing. Talk to him about it. Let him explain things as the doctors explain them to him. Talking about it can help too.

Yeah, I thought it was really cool and amazing how the kids - 13-17 - just TALKED ABOUT IT. They didn’t shy away, they asked questions, he told stories, and it was good.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

All of this. ^^^

MD Anderson has been treating my 81 year old mother for lymphoma the last 12 years. She is in remission for the 3rd time. 

I am always amazed at the patients that I see and meet there - with their grace and determination under circumstances that would try anyone’s soul. 

Good luck to your friend, Brisket. 

I’m not sure there is any empirical evidence, but I agree with Pitt Tiger - a fighting spirit can go a long way, and talking about it with friends helps.