Native (Central) Texas Grasses

I can't keep the lawn looking decent. I really don't care enough and I can't justify using the water it takes to keep it green.

The HOA feels differently.

I'm thinking about just spreading some native Texan grass seed, letting it do what it does, and just keeping that mowed.

Any recs on a brand/seed I should use?

I can't keep the lawn looking decent. I really don't care enough and I can't justify using the water it takes to keep it green.

The HOA feels differently.

I'm thinking about just spreading some native Texan grass seed, letting it do what it does, and just keeping that mowed.

Any recs on a brand/seed I should use?
You should look at Buffalo grass and xeriscaping.
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 9:25 PM, WithoutAClue said:

Look into Habiturf, developed at the Lady Bird Wildflower Center. It's a blend on native grasses.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/lawn-care/lawn-substitutes/habiturf-lawn/creating-native-habiturf-lawns.htm

I have habiturf in my front yard and I love it. That being said any grass you put down will turn brown if not watered.

1 hour ago, Booper said:

I have habiturf in my front yard and I love it. That being said any grass you put down will turn brown if not watered.

Comment on getting it started. How much soil amendment is needed? I'm not good at starting grass from seed. 

7 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Comment on getting it started. How much soil amendment is needed? I'm not good at starting grass from seed. 

https://www.wildflower.org/learn/how-to/create-a-native-habiturf-lawn

Here is the correct way of installing. I cheated and used hydroseeding. I only have about 3 inches of soil and not great drainage so I had a couple of areas that needed reseeding. Other than that it came out great. It is a bunch grass and very drought tolerant. You have to mow it high also. I cut mine at 4”.

• Hook 'Em 1