UK (And Europe) TV SERIES THREAD: Britbox, Acorn TV, PBS Masterpiece

UpperWestside

Anyone watch Steeltown Murders (on Acorntv)? A BBC miniseries released last year (4, 1 hr eps) about 3, 16 year-old girls murdered in Swansea, S. Wales in 1973, the shitty police investigation that happened at the time, and then the reinvestigation 25 years later as the use of DNA evidence began to emerge. True story, brilliantly acted, exposing the shortcomings of the initial investigation. But also a dark story, a dense tale and a plodding investigation. Critics from the WSJ and the Guardian gave it good reviews. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to after watching just the first episode.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you haven't watched Sherlock, here's an fyi as Britbox just added all seasons. Just watched ep 1 the other night and it was magnificent.

Sherlock is a 21st century adaptation (filmed from 2010 to 2017) of the Sherlock Holmes story starring B Cumberbtach and Martin Freeman. Freeman is great and they're dynamic together. Thinking for a minute about how the show contrasts with a murder mystery series I tolerated ike Hulu's "Only Murders in the Building" was amusing. Very high production values. I don't recall ever being a fan of Holmes stories when I was a kid so it's all new to me.

• Hook 'Em 2

The new season of Vera has been wonderful! Having David Leon return after almost a decade away in his new role is pretty cool. Brenda Blethyn said she would have ended the show if the producers had brought in a new core instead of getting Leon to return. The synergy between the two is just so good. Blethyn is still full of energy at 78, but whenever she is done I kinda hope Leon’s character can have his own show. He really excels at his role as the now DI Ashworth.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/27/2023 at 10:42 AM, UpperWestside said:

I grew up watching a few of the classics like Benny Hill and Are You Being Served. Now thanks to streaming and some recommendations here from @Brothahorn and in real life when I meet tourists from the UK I have watched a pretty good amount of shows. I know some of y’all can add to this list so please feel free to do so. 

Apps to use: Britbox, Acorn and PBS Masterpiece will get you the good stuff. Some shows might be on Prime as well.

Shows: 

Line of Duty: AcornTV For my money it is the best show I have watched. Adrian Dunbar and Martin Compston are great working in AC-12 together. “Letter of the Law” from Dunbar’s character will get stuck in your head. I cannot get enough of this show. If you only watch one show let it be this one.

Endeavour (PBS Masterpiece)/Inspector Morse/Inspector Lewis(Britbox)

Best series of shows on here. Just absolutely, positively superb. Endeavour just finished their final season. Bittersweet to know it is done. Will eventually watch all three series again.

Vera: They are coming back for another season which will be the 13th. Fairly incredible considering Brenda Blethyn, the character playing Vera, also films a comedy series and is just short of 80. This is an awesome, must-see show.

Shetland: Britbox. Highly underrated, but another must-see set in the Shetland Islands. One of the actors is actually from there. Douglas Henshall’s main character is just perfect for the show.

Bloodlands: AcornTV. Three seasons. You will hate one of the main characters and might hate-watch the show because of them. I know I did.

The Bay: This is a pretty good show. Combo of police work and home lives.

Midsomer Murders: AcornTV @Brothahorn recs this show and that’s enough for me.

Death in Paradise: Britbox

Beyond Paradise: Britbox

London Kills: AcornTV

Madame Blanc Mysteries: AcornTV

Darby and Joan: AcornTV

One Lane Bridge: AcornTV

Manhunt: AcornTV

Vienna Blood: PBS Masterpiece 

Astrid: PBS Masterpiece. French show with subtitles. Based around a main character that is autistic.

Miss Scarlet and the Duke: PBS Masterpiece. Very nice show based in the Victorian Period. Female private detective trying to prove she belongs.

Tin Star: This show goes hard in the paint. Highly recommend. 

The Mallorca Files: Britbox

McDonald and Dodds: Britbox

Murder in Provence: Britbox

Bancroft: Britbox

Traces: Britbox

Fortitude: This show is great. Stanley Tucci is in it.

Prime Suspect (Starring Helen Mirren)

New Tricks

Luther: Britbox

Happy Valley: AcornTV

Broadchurch: PBS Masterpiece 

The Chelsea Detective: AcornTV

Silent Witness: Britbox

Murdoch Mysteries: AcornTV

Unforgotten: PBS Masterpiece 

Foyle’s War: AcornTV

I am leaving out so many amazing shows, but this is a good starting point. Please feel free to add to this list. I will keep updating new shows y’all recommend on this post.

This was a great list. Just bumping forward.