2024 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

12 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

It is, there’s been people chasing him for $ owed for as long as Camila’s name has been known.

And her mom makes her kits. 

Her parents are Argentine (at least her dad is) and not Catholic, so they definitely don’t tithe… or pay taxes.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Danimal is on a mission and up a set & a break against C. Garcia right now. Danielle is absolutely crushing the ball and doesn’t give a shit if this is a clay court or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Jelena v. Aryna this morning, Vika v. Dani later.

Iga v. Coco already in the semis. 

Iga would rather face Keys & Gauff over any of the 4 of Jelena, Aryna, Avila, or Dani.

Keys is a hard hitter, but is as fragile as a Fabergé egg. We saw that when they played. And Gauff’s forehand is as reliable as a 1970s era FIAT.

All 4 ladies on the other side of the bracket can hit Iga off the court.

I would expect to see Iga in the final vs Collins or Aryna.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I would bet decent $ she doesn’t make it to the final. Withdrawal seems likely.

https://www.flashscore.com/match/tr0tLqcS/#/match-summary/match-summary

I know some players withdraw from 250s the week before a slam to prepare, but unless she is injured I don’t see Stearns withdrawing from her first WTA final. If she had a career title or two under her belt I could see her withdrawing, but not now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Peyton Stearns won her first WTA title (a 250, I think) — the "Grand Prix Son Altesse Royale La Princesse Lalla Meryem."

After a rough start to the 2024 season, Peyton has won 9 of her last 10 matches. The title was on clay court, so she should be rolling into Roland Garros. Not saying she’s gonna win it, but a Round of 16 is possible. Maybe even a Quaterfinal if she has some luck with the draw.

Hook’em Peyton!

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

Peyton Stearns won her first WTA title (a 250, I think) — the "Grand Prix Son Altesse Royale La Princesse Lalla Meryem."

After a rough start to the 2024 season, Peyton has won 9 of her last 10 matches. The title was on clay court, so she should be rolling into Roland Garros. Not saying she’s gonna win it, but a Round of 16 is possible. Maybe even a Quaterfinal if she has some luck with the draw.

Hook’em Peyton!

Here's Peyton's RG section. She plays a qualifier in the first round and then things get tough. Would potentially meet Sakkari for a spot in the quarterfinals if she makes it that far

image.png.8f7626a5905d57b6ee6a90f7b0b40d7e.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Both final were thrashings. 2 & 1, for Peyton, 1 & 2 for Keys. Not sure what happened to Dani. 

1) Congratulations Peyton!!

🍾🥳🎉

She’ll arrive in PARIS saying “I’ll always have MOROCCO 🇲🇦.”

Kind of “Casablanca” in reverse. 

2) Peyton is so far and away the most butch player on the WTA tour. Maria Sakkari has a poster of Peyton on her wall with a post-it in hat says “#ButchGoals” on it. 

And Peyton has a completely lack of elegant movement that she has a poster of Sakkari with a post-it that says #GraceGoals at the bottom… and that is something that absolutely no one thought that we would ever see. 

Peyton has more burly butch energy and Robocop-inspired fluidity than about 90% of the guys on the ATP tour. 

3) I love that a tan, blonde girl from Ohio, who went to college in Texas, picked up her first WTA trophy by beating an African girl on a clay court in Africa. WTF? 😬

Who saw that coming?

4) I expected Danielle Collins to completely trounce Madison Keys

Keys has such a history of collapsing and Collins has been so good this year that I expected a straight sets win with several breaks of serve, just in reverse. 

• Haha 1

Osaka looks about 25 to 30 lbs lighter than she was  when she was dodging the press 2 to 3 years ago and then stopped playing for a while. 

She was a fat load for a while before she took time off to smoke weed and then get knocked up. 

Osaka is looking pretty damned good with her shots against Italy’s #1 Butter Face, Juggs Bronzetti. Osaka’s face looks about 5 years younger than it did when she stepped away. 

Bronzetti’s game is mid, but that doesn’t keep her from a loud moan/grunt every time she hits the ball. Osaka is quiet and may only lose 2 total matches this morning.