Texas Men's Tennis 2024

perfectchaos007

Hi UT Tennis Fan,

It was a great day at the Texas Tennis Center yesterday. Beautiful weather, over 1,000 fans packing the stands, and a 5-2 win for the Longhorns over previously unbeaten and #1 ranked Ohio State. We won a tightly contested doubles point, settled by a tiebreaker at #1, and followed it up with 4 commanding straight set wins (#'s 1-3 singles, and #6 singles). For the full recap, including a few video clips from the Longhorn Network broadcast, please click here.

We will travel to Athens, Georgia tomorrow for Thursdays match up with Georgia, and then head west to L.A. for Sunday's match vs USC. We will then be back at the TTC in less than two weeks for the beginning of Big 12 Conference play, taking on UCF on Friday, March 22 at 7 pm, and TCU on Sunday, March 24 at 4 pm. Looking forward to another packed house! Hook'em!

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

Hi UT Tennis Fan,

Just writing with a quick reminder that we will play Georgia tomorrow (Thursday) at 5 pm eastern time in Athens, Georgia.  Click here for a link to the match preview, including links to live scoring and video.  And for a look back at our big win over Ohio State on Sunday, here is a link to a brief highlight clip put together by The Longhorn Network.

After our match vs Georgia tomorrow, we will head to L.A., where we will play USC on Sunday.  And then next weekend we will begin Big 12 Conference play for the final time.  Both matches will be at home.  We will take on UCF on Friday, March 22 at 7 pm, and then follow that up with another showdown vs TCU, this time at 4 pm on Sunday, March 24.  Mark your calendars now....you won't want to miss it!

Thanks for following, and supporting our program, and Hook'em!

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Bro, I know you from the other site. I know you were a stringer last year. Why are you only posting emails here now? What the hell happened? 

Stringer? Only posting emails here now as opposed to hornfans? Is that your question? 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

4-3 over Georgia. Doubles made the difference as it often does 

True but the team match was over at 4-1. 😉

Edited by 10SNE1

Hi UT Tennis Fan,

Our team followed up its big victory over #1 Ohio State, and gutted out a road win over Georgia in Athens on Thursday night to take our record for the season to 11-3.  The match was clinched at 4-1, but the final score was 4-3, and it took everything we had to hold on.  For the full story, including all the scores, please click on this press release.  Yesterday we made the long trip from Athens to L.A., and are now preparing for tomorrow's (Sunday's) 1 pm match with another "blue blood" program, USC.  For a full preview of our upcoming contest with the Trojans, including links to live scoring and video, please click here.

Looking ahead, next week will be another big one for us, as it will be the start of our last year in the Big 12.  We will play UCF on Friday at 7 pm.  Our women's team will be playing #1 Oklahoma State at 3:30 before that.  And in between those matches the Budweiser Clydesdales will pass by the tennis center on their parade route.  They will be available for photos between 5:30 and 7 pm in front of the East Campus Garage (by the baseball stadium).  Then on Sunday, March 24 it will be yet another huge match for us, as we will take on #2 ranked TCU in our conference match.  You may recall that we came up just short in the non-conference match a few weeks ago in Ft. Worth, and our guys are now itching for another chance!  Last year in this match, we set the TTC attendance record of over 1,300 fans, and it gave our team a massive boost in route to our Big 12 Conference title.  We expect an even bigger turnout this year, so I encourage you to come early in order to get a good seat.  Our operations and facilities teams are doing everything they can to boost our seating capacity for this match with some temporary seating.  I'll keep you posted on those efforts as we get closer to match day, but for now the best I can tell you is to plan on being there early!  If you can't make it there in person, your only opportunity to watch will be on the Longhorn Network, so if you don't have it, I'd encourage you to try to get it!  There will also be lots of promotional activities that day in conjunction with the match.  There will be a UT Athletics Block Party all day, and it will be set up right in front of the tennis center.  There will be food trucks, draft beer, a donor appreciation tent, a UT Tennis Alumni tent, and putt-putt golf and inflatables for kids (bounce house, etc.).  I especially encourage all of our tennis alumni to come out to this match, as we will be paying special tribute to Coach Dave Snyder, and the remarkable impact that he had on the UT Men's Tennis program, and the many athletes who were fortunate enough to have him in their lives.

Thanks for your continued support of Texas Men's Tennis.  Have a great weekend, and Hook'em!

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

I still don't understand the decision to red shirt Timo. Good chance he just goes pro after this season.

Was he eligible to play by the NCAA rules or coach's decision to red shirt him? Same goes for Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz. Very surprised she hasn't played this semester. 

9 minutes ago, 10SNE1 said:

Was he eligible to play by the NCAA rules or coach's decision to red shirt him? Same goes for Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz. Very surprised she hasn't played this semester. 

If Timo was ineligible by the NCAA, I don't believe he would be on the roster. From my understanding, they didn't have an open scholarship for him this season, so he's redshirting. Can't the Texas ONE fund supplement tuition costs when scholarships can't? 

Hi UT Tennis Fan,

We closed out our coast to coast road trip yesterday with a 6-0 win over USC in Los Angeles. Here is the match recap. That completed a busy, and successful 8 day stretch, in which we picked up wins over Ohio State, Georgia, and USC. We will now focus our attention on Big 12 Conference play, which begins this Friday evening at 7 pm vs UCF at the Texas Tennis Center. UCF is off to a great start this season. They sit just outside the top 25 in the rankings, and have a record of 14-1. We had a close 4-3 win over them last season, and absolutely expect to be tested. I hope you will plan on supporting the team again if you are in town. Prior to our match on Friday, our women's team will be playing #1 Oklahoma State at 3:30 pm. And in between the matches the Budweiser Clydesdales will pass by the tennis center on their parade route. They will be available for photos between 5:30 and 7 pm in front of the East Campus Garage (by the baseball stadium). On Sunday, we have an absolutely massive match vs #2 ranked TCU (4 pm at the TTC). The match will be broadcast on LHN, so the only way to watch if you don't have LHN will be in person. We are expecting a record breaking crowd, so if you plan to join us I suggest you come early to secure your seat!

We will be providing lots of promotional activities in conjunction with the TCU match. There will be a UT Athletics Block Party all day, and it will be set up right in front of the tennis center. There will be a jumbo TV set up outside the tennis center, showing LHN's broadcast of the tennis match. Inside the tennis center, we will also have several large TV's set up upstairs, providing viewing for all courts if your view happens to be obstructed. There will be food trucks, draft beer, a donor appreciation tent, a UT Tennis Alumni tent, and putt-putt golf and inflatables for kids (bounce house, etc.). I especially encourage all of our tennis alumni to come out to this match, as we will be paying special tribute to Coach Dave Snyder, and the remarkable impact that he had on the UT Men's Tennis program, and the many athletes who were fortunate enough to have him in their lives. We look forward to another great weekend! Hook'em!

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

Hi UT Tennis Fan,

Our team had a very strong showing last night, and came away with a 4-0 win over Central Florida (match recap). We now have our sights set on tomorrow's 4 pm showdown with #2 ranked TCU. We are expecting a record breaking crowd, so if you are planning to come out I suggest you get there early. Should be a great atmosphere! Here is the full preview. Hook'em!

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

Hi UT Tennis Fan,

We had a great win over TCU on Sunday, in front of a crowd of close to 800 people.  We came through with a decisive win in doubles, and then took 3 singles matches in straight sets (Micah Braswell, Gilles-Arnaud Bailly, and Pierre-Yves Bailly).  With individual ranking implications on the line, the #1 singles match between Eliot Spizzirri and TCU's Jack Pinnington was played to completion, and Eliot came through with the win.  Thanks to all of your who showed up to support!  Here is the match recap, and also LHN's video highlights.

We will be on the road for the next two weekends (at BYU and Texas Tech this week, and at Oklahoma State and Oklahoma next week).  Our last home match of the regular season will be vs. Baylor on April 13, and we have some special things planned for senior day.  I'll be back in touch after the weekend.  Have a great week, and Hook'em! 

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

Hi UT Tennis Fan,

I hope you had a great week! We returned from last weekend's road trip to Provo and Lubbock with two more wins (4-0 over BYU, and 4-1 over Texas Tech). After one day off, and two days of practice, we were on the road again this morning, this time to Stillwater, OK, where we will play Oklahoma Sate tomorrow (Friday) at 5 pm (preview). After tomorrow's match we will head down the road to Norman to play Oklahoma on Sunday at 1 pm. Next weekend we will play our last match of the regular season against Baylor at 4 pm. That will be Senior Day for Micah Braswell, Cleeve Harper, Evin McDonald, Eliot Spizzirri, Eshan Talluri, and Siem Woldeab. I think you will agree that this group has put their stamp on our program in a very meaningful way, and I hope you will make every effort to be there to honor them if at all possible. Those who cannot make it to the match next Sunday (4 pm central) will be able to watch live on the Longhorn Network.

Thanks for your support, and Hook'em! 

Sincerely,

Bruce Berque

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

So weird seeing any sport with those few matches/games deciding something. 

Big 12 had only 6 mens tennis programs for about a decade. This year there are 8 thanks to UCF and BYU joining. In the SEC, only Missouri doesn't sponsor mens tennis, so it will be a big change having 14 conference opponents.