Texas Women's Tennis 2024

10SNE1

1 hour ago, 10SNE1 said:

Don't see Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz in the lineup today. 😕 

Yeah very odd why she isn't playing. Perhaps illness. We took care of business against Wisconsin today, but tomorrow's match against #4 Gerogia will be a good barometer of where we're at.

21 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah very odd why she isn't playing. Perhaps illness. We took care of business against Wisconsin today, but tomorrow's match against #4 Gerogia will be a good barometer of where we're at.

Nice win over UGA

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

No tennis expert but feels like we have little depth but still capable of beating anybody if everyone is healthy. 

*anybody except UNC. 
UNC has a Super Team this year. They beat this Georgia team a few weeks ago 7-0 without dropping a single set. If they don't repeat as champs this year I will be stunned. 

Also, I need to correct myself in regards to Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz. I made the assumption she was a blue chip caliber player based on her top 800 WTA ranking and being a former top 40 junior, but her UTR rating is actually under a 10 in both singles and doubles which puts her at #8 among players on our roster. She's probably perfectly healthy, but the 6 players Joffee has been using all season are simply the best players we have on the roster, and we aren't going to see her unless a player or two gets injured. Shachf Lieberman may even be ahead of her in the lineup given her UTR which currently sits just above a 10 at 10.08.

17 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Also, I need to correct myself in regards to Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz. I made the assumption she was a blue chip caliber player based on her top 800 WTA ranking and being a former top 40 junior, but her UTR rating is actually under a 10 in both singles and doubles which puts her at #8 among players on our roster. She's probably perfectly healthy, but the 6 players Joffee has been using all season are simply the best players we have on the roster, and we aren't going to see her unless a player or two gets injured. Shachf Lieberman may even be ahead of her in the lineup given her UTR which currently sits just above a 10 at 10.08.

she's not injured.

serving for the match

...and double faults the game away.  5-5 in the 3rd set.

Chavatipon shows some guts, breaks back. Serving for the match again.

...and Chavatipon misses another chance to close out the match.  6-6, heading to a tiebreak. 

Edited by someguy
  • Like 1

Charlotte had 3 games to serve out the match (once in the first set, and twice in the 2nd set) and failed. OKST wins 4-3. Texas will play a consolation match tomorrow against Ohio State before their flight back to Austin. That loss will sting for a bit, but we'll get another crack at them in conference play.

Just now, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Damn, that breaker went poorly.

I blame someguy. 

haha, that's fair. She pretty much started tanking when I watched.  She went lost the first 6 points of the tie break, and lost 11 of the last 14 points once she was up 6-5.  Look forward to the rematch in conference play.

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Charlotte also got penalized a point to begin the tiebreaker after being overruled 2 times in the match. That + being blowing 3 service games to close out the match mentally ended her.

you could see how frustrated she was with her first serve - I don't think she got a single first serve in for one of those games she served for the match.  Missed that wide open volley too.  Tough way to lose, but onward and upward.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2023/11/9/womens-tennis-womens-tennis-signs-ashton-bowers.aspx

That was fast...barely over three months. But then again Auburn just fired their head coach two weeks ago.

Really concerned now that Maya Joint may go pro and skip college. Her WTA rise has been pretty meteoric. Was a really good junior but nothing too flashy in terms of results compared to other Americans who recently skipped college (talking about the likes of Ashlyn Kreuger, Alycia Parks, Robin Montgomerry, etc.). Ranked 1377 last fall. Then switched nationalities to Australia, moved to Australia for 5 months to train at one of their national centers, got a ton of wildcards, and now has shot up to 336. That's a 1000 ranking jump in just 5 months! Now she's back in the States and has another WC to qualifying draw of the Austin Opne.

It was a smart business decision for Maya to switch nationalities. Since the surprising sudden retirement of Barty, Australia has been desperate to find their next female prodigy as they currently have 0 players in the WTA top 100. She’s undoubtedly receiving special attention with the Australian tennis association that she would not have received with the USTA. Australian tennis seeks to fast-track the development of this 17 year old, and they’re ahead of schedule at this point as she’s the youngest Australian in the top 400. 

• 2 weeks later...