Legendary Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama dead at 68

This was such an incredibly huge part of middle school for me, Dragon Ball consumed me for an entire minute. I can't say enough how much I loved this man's work. Not just Dragon Ball, but Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest and Blue Dragon and on and on. It's impossible to overstate his influence, which was wide and varied, from Street Fighter to Sonic the Hedgehog. Outside of maybe Superman and Batman, Dragon Ball has to be the most beloved comic in the world. RIP to the GOAT.

d62ua7i-a210240b-469a-4a21-a04e-5caa43399120.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I cannot say I was a big follower of his work, but he made an incredibly positive difference in the lives of millions of people. These are the kinds of people we should celebrate more. What a life he had and I feel for all the folks that will miss him. May he rest in peace.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I cannot say I was a big follower of his work, but he made an incredibly positive difference in the lives of millions of people. These are the kinds of people we should celebrate more. What a life he had and I feel for all the folks that will miss him. May he rest in peace.

If you have never played Chrono Trigger before, you owe it to yourself to play through at least once. It's one of the most perfect examples of an RPG around. The story is very, very Akira Toriyama, it's like a condensed example of why he was so beloved. Every character type he would flesh out in other works is represented in Chrono Trigger. The best part of the game revolves around the rivalry between Magus, the dark lord of the demon world, and Frog, the last remaining squire of Cyrus - the royal guard who Magus murdered - who was considered so weak that Magus didn't kill him, but rather cursed him to live the rest of his life as a worthless toad instead. The tale of revenge between the two is shades of Piccolo and Kamesennin in Dragon Ball, and what makes Chrono Trigger so great is that it has so many different endings, so unlike a lot of other RPGs, your actions matter and you can take the story in lots of different directions. Chrono Trigger was considered a "dream team" game because it took the 3 biggest entities in RPGs at the time -- Akira Toriyama, Square, and Enix, and somehow brought them together to make a single game. It is the "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" of RPGs.

One of the most celebrated games of all time. It was an instant classic upon release and holds up magnificently. It's also perfectly paced -- not too long, not too short. You can blow through one of the multiple endings in a day. It's available all over the place, even on phones. It's so worth trying, especially if you want to see why Toriyama was beloved.

Spoiler

My favorite way to play Chrono Trigger is to let Magus live and give him a redemption arc that mirror's Vegeta's from Dragon Ball Z. Magus is essentially the Vegeta of the game, down to his look.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Bulma was the first rude anime chick I ever seen. 

The opening gag in the series where she flashes Kamesennin accidentally and he squeezes his cane so hard it shatters and blood shoots out of his nose made me cry laughing when I was in middle school. So incredibly funny at the time.

On 3/8/2024 at 8:28 PM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

If you have never played Chrono Trigger before, you owe it to yourself to play through at least once. It's one of the most perfect examples of an RPG around. The story is very, very Akira Toriyama, it's like a condensed example of why he was so beloved. Every character type he would flesh out in other works is represented in Chrono Trigger. The best part of the game revolves around the rivalry between Magus, the dark lord of the demon world, and Frog, the last remaining squire of Cyrus - the royal guard who Magus murdered - who was considered so weak that Magus didn't kill him, but rather cursed him to live the rest of his life as a worthless toad instead. The tale of revenge between the two is shades of Piccolo and Kamesennin in Dragon Ball, and what makes Chrono Trigger so great is that it has so many different endings, so unlike a lot of other RPGs, your actions matter and you can take the story in lots of different directions. Chrono Trigger was considered a "dream team" game because it took the 3 biggest entities in RPGs at the time -- Akira Toriyama, Square, and Enix, and somehow brought them together to make a single game. It is the "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" of RPGs.

One of the most celebrated games of all time. It was an instant classic upon release and holds up magnificently. It's also perfectly paced -- not too long, not too short. You can blow through one of the multiple endings in a day. It's available all over the place, even on phones. It's so worth trying, especially if you want to see why Toriyama was beloved.

Hide contents

My favorite way to play Chrono Trigger is to let Magus live and give him a redemption arc that mirror's Vegeta's from Dragon Ball Z. Magus is essentially the Vegeta of the game, down to his look.

One of the best games. I need to play through this with the kids.