Classic Motor Sports/Races (Indy, F1, NASCAR, etc.)

I didn’t want to clutter up the active race threads.

YouTube has thousands of old races.  I’ve been watching some old races for a project, and was looking at the Indy Car 1981 Michigan 500 and holy fuck they had a pit fire that’s fucking insane.  At one point (35min) one of the pit crew members was on fire and they couldn’t see the flames because it was methanol.

At 35:30, you can see Bruce Jenner motioning his cameraman to follow him to the fire, and I’m thinking “Bruce, you dumbass, you’re wearing a polyester shirt and jeans and you’re trying to get close to a fire whose flames you can’t see.”

Should be at the right time stamp below for the pit incident.  Bonus: Paul Page still had all of his hair (just barely)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I swear I’m not looking up Indy Car fires, but the rain-delayed 1997 Indy 500 saw Robby Gordon catch on fire.

He tried to get back in the car and restart it, but they made him get medical attention (the burns caused him to miss some NASCAR races).

Tony Stewart finished 5th.

again, should be the right time stamp below, 8:50.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Posted (edited)

One of the craziest races ever, the 1984 Formula 1 Dallas Grand Prix.  The track ran through Fair Park in Dallas, right around the Cotton Bowl for a portion of it.  The race ran on July 8th, and the ambient temperature was something like 103 degreesF.  Seriously, when you have the chance, take the time to watch this all the way through--I can't even begin to describe all the crazy stuff that happened.

It doesn't want to embed, so here's the URL:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8mf3nx

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The 1971 Indy 500, which had many interesting things going on  but is most famous for the pace car careening down pit road and crashing into a photographer stand.  Happens around 9:20 in the broadcast.

• Hook 'Em 1

After this past week dealing with tire wear i youtubed and watched(for some reason) the 2008 Brickyard that was a tire debacle where they had a competition caution like every 10 laps because the tires sucked.

Classic doodoo race

• Haha 1

If any of you all are feeling happy about whatever, and want to be depressed ..a nice little documentary about the Bettenhausens.  It’s the auto racing version of the Von Erichs 

Really well done documentary with a lot of good footage and interviews   

• Hook 'Em 1