PSA: PSAs are bullshit

elfenix

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2817322

Objective  To evaluate the effect of a single invitation for PSA screening on prostate cancer–specific mortality at a median 15-year follow-up compared with no invitation for screening.

Intervention  Men received a single invitation for a PSA screening test with subsequent diagnostic tests if the PSA level was 3.0 ng/mL or higher. The control group received standard practice (no invitation).

Findings  In this secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial of 415 357 men aged 50 to 69 years randomized to a single invitation for PSA screening (n = 195 912) or a control group without PSA screening (n = 219 445) and followed up for a median of 15 years, risk of death from prostate cancer was lower in the group invited to screening (0.69% vs 0.78%; mean difference, 0.09%) compared with the control group.

Conclusions and Relevance  In this secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial, a single invitation for PSA screening compared with standard practice without routine screening reduced prostate cancer deaths at a median follow-up of 15 years. However, the absolute reduction in deaths was small.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

I don't have a medical background so I'm unsure if I'm interpreting this correctly. Is it saying that a single PSA blood screening test doesn't change the mortality rate? If so, I thought the PSA screening main value was identifying drastic changes in relation to previous years' numbers.