Want to buy a UTV

I want to buy one of these, preferably a Kawasaki Mule, but not sure where to begin. I like to buy cars and haggle, but there isn't nearly as much information online as there is for cars. 

What's a good discount to expect from a dealer? Will these guys haggle at all or do you more or less just pay the MSRP?

Where are you located?  Do you have acquaintances that have recently purchased a UTV you could compare notes with?  Just before hunting seasons begin may not be a good time to buy.  Kawasaki Mules are great. Don't care for Polaris Rangers as much as the ride is smooth but the dust backdraft is terrible.  If you get one and you run it in S TX make sure to get a slight lift and the Essex Bigfoot Kevlar lined tires.  

I have a Kawasaki Mule that I bought in 2007.  I don't remember how much dickering I did when I bought it.  I do know that the only maintenance I've done on it is to replace the battery twice and change the oil maybe three times.  I use the shit out of it and I'm sure that it's going to outlast me.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

Where are you located?  Do you have acquaintances that have recently purchased a UTV you could compare notes with?  Just before hunting seasons begin may not be a good time to buy.  Kawasaki Mules are great. Don't care for Polaris Rangers as much as the ride is smooth but the dust backdraft is terrible.  If you get one and you run it in S TX make sure to get a slight lift and the Essex Bigfoot Kevlar lined tires.  

Buddy has a ranger, and it’s a dusty MF. It never occurred to me that others could be better.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Buddy has a ranger, and it’s a dusty MF. It never occurred to me that others could be better.

Yep.  We call Polaris "dust devils."  They're awful.  There is an after market spoiler that mounts on back of roof that keeps dust from back drafting into cab.  Kawasaki Mules don't have the dust problem. 

Edited by deadshank

Thanks for the advice. 

I want the Mule FXT because it's convertible between two row seating or a big cargo bed. The MSRP is ~$17k so I sure hope that there is room to haggle. But the Rangers are nice, too, so I can be convinced to look at other models. 

Great point about hunting season. Not really in a rush to buy it, so I can wait. Wife and I bought a small 16 acre "farm" (more of a playground) just outside of Richmond and I think a UTV would be useful eventually, especially after we get the fishing pond built. 

I actually think my next big purchase is going to be a tractor and some implements, especially a brush hog. There is a lot of grass out there that needs mowing. There is a little more info out there for tractors and it looks like the local Kubota dealer is already giving me a pretty good deal for what I want. 

If you get a crew, they are all dusty. No issues with my 900, the 1000’s look really nice. Lots of hunters / ranchers are going for the new Mule Pro. Can Am is the other one I’d look it. Performance wise ranger & Can am win, reliability seems like the Mule. Lots of people abuse the shit out of rangers & then complain they break. Drive all 3 of those & see what you like the best. If you aren’t ag exempt, you might want to look at buying out of state to save the taxes. Once you decide what you want, let us know, there are certain dealers that are known for being the best deals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk