Travel for One

Jhawk

1 hour ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Yeah, the more I think about it, Mexico seems to be a better option. Any suggestions on the best resort for a single guy in the Cozumel or Cancun area in December?

Just curious, but why the beach? That seems like the worst place to take a solo trip when the weather will be in the 70's. Especially at a resort, where you are perpetually the creepy guy at the table for 1. 

25 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Just curious, but why the beach? That seems like the worst place to take a solo trip when the weather will be in the 70's. Especially at a resort, where you are perpetually the creepy guy at the table for 1. 

I guess the beach is perfect for me because I like warm weather and good scenery. I work a very stressful job and I like to completely disconnect from the outside world when I'm not working. It really doesn't take a lot to entertain me. 

As far as the creepy part goes, I'm probably the most approachable guy you'll know. Obviously, you don't know me but I get hit on by every type of person you can imagine (I'm a straight white guy). I'm not trying to brag; I'm just comfortable in my own skin and others are attracted to that.

I hope that answers your question adequately without me coming off like a douche. (haha)

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

It's cool to say that you did it because of the political climate. If you like old cars, rum or cigars, it definitely should be on your radar. It's a cheap place to kill 2-3 days with decent beaches. The food sucks, you can't drink the water, you better bring enough money and internet service is spotty at best. Nice people and we never felt unsafe.

Having said that, one time was plenty for me. We did 48 hours, but 72 would have been perfect.

Pretty accurate. There is really good food to be had though.

• 2 weeks later...
OP, it sounds like we are in a similar situation. I've been struggling since about March to come up with a solo trip. I talked to a ton of people and finally settled on Nepal, with stops in Hong Kong (2 days on the way out) and Bangkok (tbd but likely 4 days in either Phuket or Chiang Mai on the way back).

Of everybody I spoke to, the people who had visited Nepal were the most varied, well traveled, and most passionate that I go there. I'm more than a little intimidated by it.

Other iteniraries that were strongly considered were:

Buenos Aires & Rio De Janeiro
Uraguay
Columbia - Peru - Equador (Galapagos Islands)
Mexico Mayan Ruins Tour
Thailand - Cambodia - Vietnam
Myanmar

I figured I was looking for more of an adventure than a vacation and the Himalayas will be an adventure. I'm going late Oct to mid Nov.
AUTF checking in from Kathmandu!

I've been here a couple days. Tomorrow I'm going to Pokhara and doing a short Poon Hill Trek.

Thailand is like 8 or 9 days away. Still no plans. I'm thinking Ko Samui. I was thinking the beach and Phuket, but it sounded too touristy when I got a text from a buddy back home saying he had a friend in Ko Sumui. I looked it up. Sounds perfect. Seemed like a sign.dad8e9137a4b3c9d45ce89aeccb99aca.jpg