Travel for One

Jhawk

Need to keep myself busy, don't really have much of a budget.  If you were single and wouldn't worry about spending anything from $3k-$5k on a trip, where would you go?  Extra points for multiple trips spending the same amount of money.  Would be travelling alone.

Appreciate the ideas, looking for September-November.

21 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Need to keep myself busy, don't really have much of a budget.  If you were single and wouldn't worry about spending anything from $3k-$5k on a trip, where would you go?  Extra points for multiple trips spending the same amount of money.  Would be travelling alone.

The Swiss Alps

Done mexico a ton.  I'm thinking of hopping over to paris for the ryder cup.  Maybe hit Monaco.  Columbia seems like it would be cool if I wouldn't get killed.  I just don't know the great places to go that are cost prohibitive if you travel with more than 1 person but are great as a single.  The other thing is that if I'm going to be on a plane for 17 hours or something then I probably want to do business class or better.  I don't know if there are cheap destination places that allow for you to pay up for the airfare and still be in budget.

i'd do a backpacking circuit

1) transiberia - ST P to Beijing. do some stopovers along the way in Siberia and Mongolia. Can do this in 2 to 5 weeks

2) SE asia - into Bangkok and out of Vietnam. Laos and Camboda too. Great time

3) Central America - into Mexico city and out of Panama City - some combo or part of this is a great backpacking experience

I've done them all and can comment more ^

other ideas

1) remote areas in Europe - Pyrenees or northern Spain. Eastern Europe - Romania to Croatia by car (many friends have done this)

2) Latin America - Ecuador / Columbia / Peru - into one Colombia and out of Peru for example. I have done parts of this

3) Argentina / Uruguay - i have done some of this. later in Nov and you are hitting their spring time

time you have?

choose backpacking circuits as you are alone and then can make new friends on the bus, etc. my advice. 

Edited by staboner

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Columbia seems like it would be cool if I wouldn't get killed.

You won't I was just there in March.  It's a great place to visit.  It's no different than anywhere else.  Keep your wits about you, don't act like a victim and don't do stupid stuff.   I had a Spanish speaking friend with me and that definitely helped but you can still get around.  There is very little if any Ingles anywhere other than Cartagena which sucked anyway.  

Vietnam

I spent 9 days in Vietnam by myself and two in Tokyo.  Also a great a idea.   Lots of English and it's cheap AF.  Easily the best trip I've ever taken. 

I really enjoy traveling solo mostly because I do exactly what I want and none of what I don't.  Plus you meet so many other travelers.  Other travelers will always talk to you if you are solo.  I also like traveling with friends and my kids.  I take a solo, friend, and kids trip every year.  

Edited by midtown

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Done mexico a ton.  I'm thinking of hopping over to paris for the ryder cup.  Maybe hit Monaco.  Columbia seems like it would be cool if I wouldn't get killed.  I just don't know the great places to go that are cost prohibitive if you travel with more than 1 person but are great as a single.  The other thing is that if I'm going to be on a plane for 17 hours or something then I probably want to do business class or better.  I don't know if there are cheap destination places that allow for you to pay up for the airfare and still be in budget.

Columbia, Missouri or Columbia, SC?

Kidding aside - Colombia solo was awesome.  Did Bogota and Medellin on separate trips.  I'm about 2 weeks out from Thailand solo.

What are you interested in - do you fish, scuba, etc?  Are you into history, art, etc?  I was in Paris in June and would highly recommend it.  There were solo people at practically every outdoor cafe - drinking coffee, wine, etc.  Lots of singles at museums also - Louvre, Pompidou, D'Orsay.  You could spend a week there if you are an art lover.  

If you like to drive you could do a Kentucky bourbon tour.  Hundreds of distilleries to sample, Louisville Slugger is there, Shiloh battlefield, Churchill Downs and all the horseracing farms, etc.  You could spend a week there as well.   And, it would probably only set you back around $1.5K.  For an additional $1.5K you could take me with you and that would bring you right back up to your $3K budget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

2 words: Sandals Jamaica

The only downside to that is Sandals is more of a couples resort. Double occupancy and all that. Plus, you don't want to be the only single person there. But on the upside, it's Jamaica. Tings be irie, mon.

32 minutes ago, Washpark said:

For $3k - $5k alone, you can do a lot if you are willing to stay in budget type hotels.

I spent probably 3k for my Vietnam trip and that included the use of a tour company, all 3 star hotels, boat on Ha Long Bay, an English speaking guide, airport transfers, food, beers, and in country flights.For $5k you could really ramp it up to 5 star hotels

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

COLOMBIA. God damn it.  Imma start negging.

You can do just about anything and anywhere solo.  It's whatever the fuck you want.   Also, are you flying in hookers and coke every night? Most of my solo trips run me, at most, $1k - $1.25k.   If you gave me a $5k travel budget,  I'd turn it into 5 pretty good week long trips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I really enjoy traveling solo mostly because I do exactly what I want and none of what I don't.  Plus you meet so many other travelers.  Other travelers will always talk to you if you are solo.  I also like traveling with friends and my kids.  I take a solo, friend, and kids trip every year.  

This.  Unless you're a total weirdo, it's super easy to meet people while traveling solo.  It sucks when you travel with certain friends for the first time and then realize they make good friends but they don't make good travel friends.

And yeah $5K is a baller ass budget if you are traveling solo. Especially if you go to Mexico or South America. Holy shit, Buenos Aires or Medellin or Mexico City with $300-$400 USD a day in my pocket after airfare and hotel for a week, I'd probably end up dead.  

Edited by TornACL
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

This.  Unless you're a total weirdo, it's super easy to meet people while traveling solo.  It sucks when you travel with certain friends for the first time and then realize they make good friends but they don't make good travel friends.

And yeah $5K is a baller ass budget if you are traveling solo. Especially if you go to Mexico or South America. Holy shit, Buenos Aires or Medellin or Mexico City with $300-$400 USD a day in my pocket after airfare and hotel for a week, I'd probably end up dead.  

I'm going to Thailand for 10 days and I'm trying to imagine using $400 per day, after flight and AirBnB.  The lady boys would flock to me like my name was Rocko.

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

My SIL just spent over a month in Columbia and loved it, she stayed in Medellin. If you are thinking of Paris for the Ryder Cup, I would do a tour of France, Belgium, and Holland. Cheap and easy train rides and a shit ton to do and see. 

45 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Vegas (mentioned above) would be my pick.

How come nobody suggested a cruise outta Galveston yet? Buncha snobs...

I actually sent a pm to justhookit about a fishing trip. 

Im into anything and everything really. Just want to see and do shit with no set schedule. I’ve got a wedding in Florida to be at 10/13. Part of me is thinking about flying to Paris, doing the Ryder cup, heading to ocktoberfest and then back to west palm for the wedding and on to kc when that’s done. Would have to take my laptop with me but I would probably only pack a couple pairs of jeans, shorts, and a couple of shirts and then just buy clothes over there and toss them when I’m done. I assume they have Internet cafes around all the good brothels?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I actually sent a pm to justhookit about a fishing trip. 

Im into anything and everything really. Just want to see and do shit with no set schedule. I’ve got a wedding in Florida to be at 10/13. Part of me is thinking about flying to Paris, doing the Ryder cup, heading to ocktoberfest and then back to west palm for the wedding and on to kc when that’s done. Would have to take my laptop with me but I would probably only pack a couple pairs of jeans, shorts, and a couple of shirts and then just buy clothes over there and toss them when I’m done. I assume they have Internet cafes around all the good brothels?

I like this guy.

Me? Alone? I'd buy a drug rug at the Mexican border to go with my one change of clothes, Then I'd bus south until I got near the center of the country.

After that, every day I'd stay in a ten-dollar hotel near the bus station, have a beer at the taco stand, and take out my deck of cards. I'd pull a card.

The suit of the card I pulled would stand for north, south, east, or west.

The value of the card would stand for some multiple of distance, say 5 miles for an ace up to 65 miles for a King. So that's my trip for the next day, Mexico's lumpy, so it's ok to smidge northeast or northwest instead of, say, due north if there's a bare mountain range there. Or who knows, maybe you go for it. Anyway, the next day, you walk/taxi/bus to your next spot. Maybe it's a town, maybe it's a barn.

Pull a Joker = head straight to downtown Mexico City, stay in a fancy place, and buy another change of clothes. 

You'd meet all kinds of people. At the end of your time in Mexico, look around the rancho and smile at all your little quarter-gringo grandchildren, then keel over old and dead as a mummy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Flashpack.com has trips for individual travelers that are guided trips that look pretty cool.  I was looking at the Vietnam trip, they also do Australia, China, Thailand, Norway, etc.  Check it out.

• Like 1

Flashpack.com has trips for individual travelers that are guided trips that look pretty cool.  I was looking at the Vietnam trip, they also do Australia, China, Thailand, Norway, etc.  Check it out.
I've looked at them before. It's an expensive way to do something that you can do for free imo. Really designed for the inexperienced and those who can't or don't know what to do.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Do you like hiking?

The Annapurna circuit in Nepal is 3 weeks long and you can do some whitewater rafting before or after you are done. They also have some cool nature preserves in the country. The reason I recommend this is you can go to europe pretty much anytime in your life but to really experience Nepal you need to have at least a month and it’s a great thing to do solo. If you want more info PM me. 

It’s also easy to hop over to India or SE Asia from there if you have a couple more weeks to explore. 

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I've looked at them before. It's an expensive way to do something that you can do for free imo. Really designed for the inexperienced and those who can't or don't know what to do.

I agree.  Feels like you're overpaying for something sterile and inauthentic.  Plus it's not really "solo" traveling because you're being forced to socialize with other people.  To me, "solo" travel involves booking a plane ticket and then figuring it out when you get there.  Asking the locals, meeting people in a bar and making random friends,  spending time with yourself.

• Like 1