Travel for One

Jhawk

31 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

But, having said that, I still struggle to comprehend the cost. Why wouldn't you purchase an economy fare and use miles to upgrade? Even if you have no status, that's less than $200.00 on top of the base fare. Unless you're flying a charter or small airline, miles are doled out like samples of Tide. I somewhat get it if you have a specific non-chain hotel that you are aiming for. But, it's pretty easy to get a Waldorf, Conrad, IC, Radisson Blu (Some are great), etc. through points, which are also relatively easy to accumulate. 

Timing is the biggest issue for not using miles. It's why I am giving away lots of my miles, I just don't have a lot of use for them. I'm not very flexible on dates anymore, so I need to go when I need to go, and many people are in various similar situations for whatever reason.

Just now, G650 said:

Timing is the biggest issue for not using miles. It's why I am giving away lots of my miles, I just don't have a lot of use for them. I'm not very flexible on dates anymore, so I need to go when I need to go, and many people are in various similar situations for whatever reason.

This.  This is why I struggle with using miles.

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah, you lost me. What is the correlation between timing/flexibility and upgrading a purchased economy ticket with miles? If I recall correctly, you are a BA guy. You can switch your earning on BA flights over to AA and completely bypass the "award availability" restriction. So fly on BA, earn on AA, use AA miles to upgrade your next BA flight. Award charts don't affect your ability to upgrade.

15 minutes ago, G650 said:

Um, I'd like some miles.

Just now, Spankytoes said:

Yeah, you lost me. What is the correlation between timing/flexibility and upgrading a purchased economy ticket with miles? If I recall correctly, you are a BA guy. You can switch your earning on BA flights over to AA and completely bypass the "award availability" restriction. So fly on BA, earn on AA, use AA miles to upgrade your next BA flight. Award charts don't affect your ability to upgrade.

There has to be inventory to upgrade with miles.

15 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Honestly, a lot of your travel hacks require time and effort that a lot of us do not have, or might require one to travel when it isn't convenient.

Also, when traveling at a very busy time of the year, it is almost impossible without status (which I have now lost) to get an upgrade using miles.  So sometimes, it is worth paying for business.  Also, I AirBnB rather than hotel now, but in certain cities, like Paris, even that isn't that might cheaper.  Sometimes, you want to travel at a specific time, and that will cost more.

At the end of the day, since I am a woman traveling alone, I prefer nicer hotels/AirBnB properties that I feel comfortable in.  I am willing to pay a bit more to have more space and a more comfy bed.  Becuase if the bed sucks, and I cannot sleep, the trip will be a complete waste.

However, I am all about spending money on the experiences.  I will not bat an eye at dropping money for a 3 star Michelin experience or to buy things that I enjoy while abroad.  I get joy from that.  

I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. It sounds like you are referring to Award travel. That's not what I'm referring to.

Ex: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/redeem/award-travel/upgrade-with-miles.jsp or https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/mua.aspx

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Chase Sapphire is pretty pain-free and has paid for a lot of travel for me. 

Which I use, but honestly, I have not found the points to be that great when looking for free or discounted travel.  I think a lot of it has to do with timing.  I am not as free to just jet off as I would like to be.

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. It sounds like you are referring to Award travel. That's not what I'm referring to.

Ex: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/redeem/award-travel/upgrade-with-miles.jsp or https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/mua.aspx

I am not just talking about award travel.  I am also talking about upgrading with Miles.  The upgrades have to be available to do it.  Most the time, they are not.  I am a Star Alliance person, or Skymiles.  Hell, most Skymiles airlines are going to that auction for upgrades.

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Which I use, but honestly, I have not found the points to be that great when looking for free or discounted travel.  I think a lot of it has to do with timing.  I am not as free to just jet off as I would like to be.

I got the card for a specific purpose (paying for my airfare for my honeymoon last summer), and it accomplished that goal.  I have since kept using it and it has probably paid for half of my travel (nothing major, all domestic trips) since then (just airfare, we normally do airbnb as well).  It is probably time for me to do another deep dive into spanky's thread and get a new card for the enrollment benefits. I haven't had any issues using the points, and if it's domestic I don't mind flying economy.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I got the card for a specific purpose (paying for my airfare for my honeymoon last summer), and it accomplished that goal.  I have since kept using it and it has probably paid for half of my travel (nothing major, all domestic trips) since then (just airfare, we normally do airbnb as well).  It is probably time for me to do another deep dive into spanky's thread and get a new card for the enrollment benefits. I haven't had any issues using the points, and if it's domestic I don't mind flying economy.

See, I do not do a ton of domestic travel.  Most of my travel is long haul international.  And if the flight is more than 8-9 hours, I need to be in Business or Premium Economy (real premium economy, not the fake Economy Plus the US airlines trot out), otherwise I am an outright bitch when I land.  A lot of it has to do with old sports injuries that end up making the flight very, very uncomfortable for longer haul flights.  Now, if I can go Atlanta or NYC to London/BRU/AMS, it isn't bad, but that is about as long of a flight as I am willing to do in Coach.

12 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'd row a boat across the Atlantic before flying cattle class.

Depends on the route and the airline.  I flew Delta to London, and had a whole row to myself in Economy Plus.  When that situation happens, it is no big deal, because you can make a nice bed out of three seats.

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Depends on the route and the airline.  I flew Delta to London, and had a whole row to myself in Economy Plus.  When that situation happens, it is no big deal, because you can make a nice bed out of three seats.

I'd also row a boat to avoid Delta.

I had a great trip to Italy 20 years ago, back when I was a United guy, had a 772 into LHR that had literally like 30 people on it. Got a whole middle row in the back to myself to sleep across. I wouldn't no more want to do that now that punch myself in the dick though. That's a young person's game.

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'd row a boat across the Atlantic before flying cattle class.

Did it 10 years ago and didn't recall it being terrible (dfw-lhr). Did it last summer (dfw-lhr-cpt, jnb-mdr-dfw) and I wanted to murder someone when we got to Heathrow.  Ended up paying to upgrade  the last 3 legs after completing the first, and I'll never do economy again on a flight over 5 hours.  Getting old sucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yup. Last year IAH to CDG (each way) on AA, whole row in regular economy. 

This year, IAH to DOH (each way) I had no one in the middle.  DOH to CNX (each way), whole row to myself.

• 1 month later...

Did 2 weeks solo in Japan at the beginning of September. Did ANA first class there, business back all on points (not so humblebrag). Hit up Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, miyajima, totorri, and amanohashidate. Just used a JR pass for the trains and booked hostels on the hostel world app. I would say I spent somewhere around 2000 for rooms and food/drinking over 2 weeks, and I splurged here and there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 9/18/2018 at 11:30 AM, G650 said:

one thing i started doing with United is just booking trips way out in advance. maybe book two and cancel one. cancel fees and change fees, and also redeposit fees for the miles, but thats like $150/ticket. 

not perfect. but when getting flights valued at $1k, its good

21 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Looking to use up a few days of vacation before the end of the year and want to go to the beach. Also want to stay in America for a 3-day weekend. I just did San Diego last month so I guess my only real option is Florida. Any suggestions for a single guy?

The Santa Monica area is nice if you want to visit California again. Miami? 

Just now, mycox said:

The Santa Monica area is nice if you want to visit California again. Miami? 

I think I want to do something other than California since I was just there. I've only been to Miami once and maybe I was with the wrong people and did the wrong things but the people there just seemed to suck.

Then it looks like Hawaii or Puerto Rico because everywhere else will be cold.  I hear St. Simons Island in Georgia is nice, but I don't know if there is much to do for a single guy.

I don't know Florida that well, but there are a lot of nice beaches. There are also some nice beaches in Alabama.

Edited by mycox
  • Like 1

Just now, conVINCEd said:

For a single guy, go to Charleston.  You can probably find an unattractive female there, but you’ll have to put in some effort.

Just now, mycox said:

Then it looks like Hawaii or Puerto Rico because everywhere else will be cold.  I hear St. Simons Island in Georgia is nice, but I don't know if there is much to do for a single guy.

I don't know Florida that well, but there are a lot of nice beaches. There are also some nice beaches in Alabama.

I was thinking Hawaii but it looks like December is the rainiest time of year there. Puerto Rico might be an option. Never been...

4 hours ago, staboner said:

one thing i started doing with United is just booking trips way out in advance. maybe book two and cancel one. cancel fees and change fees, and also redeposit fees for the miles, but thats like $150/ticket. 

not perfect. but when getting flights valued at $1k, its good

Try Southwest or BA

17 hours ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

What about the Atlantic coast of Florida? 

Water is going to be cool if you wait much longer and the snowbirds will start getting heavy. You probably have another 4-6 weeks before both get bad, but there isn’t a whole lot going on along the coasts this time of year outside of fishing. Plus, it all depends on what you are looking for. Just sit on the beach, nightlife, fishing, etc would flip it between Miami, the Keys, a place like Anna Maria Island or Siesta Key that is close enough to bigger cities to cover several, etc. 

Leave the US and go Caribbean, Mexico, wherever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Water is going to be cool if you wait much longer and the snowbirds will start getting heavy. You probably have another 4-6 weeks before both get bad, but there isn’t a whole lot going on along the coasts this time of year outside of fishing. Plus, it all depends on what you are looking for. Just sit on the beach, nightlife, fishing, etc would flip it between Miami, the Keys, a place like Anna Maria Island or Siesta Key that is close enough to bigger cities to cover several, etc. 

Leave the US and go Caribbean, Mexico, wherever.

Yeah, the more I think about it, Mexico seems to be a better option. Any suggestions on the best resort for a single guy in the Cozumel or Cancun area in December?

45 minutes ago, midtown said:

I really don't get the draw of Havana.

It's cool to say that you did it because of the political climate. If you like old cars, rum or cigars, it definitely should be on your radar. It's a cheap place to kill 2-3 days with decent beaches. The food sucks, you can't drink the water, you better bring enough money and internet service is spotty at best. Nice people and we never felt unsafe.

Having said that, one time was plenty for me. We did 48 hours, but 72 would have been perfect.

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

The food sucks, you can't drink the water, you better bring enough money and internet service is spotty at best. Nice people and we never felt unsafe.

This is what I think about.  I'm not a mega-resort tourist hell kind of guy at all but there is a fine line between over built and almost no infrastructure.