Millions of Texas voter records exposed

bernorange

It’s not clear who owned the server where the exposed file was found, but an analysis of the data reveals that it was likely originally compiled by Data Trust, a Republican-focused data analytics firm created by the GOP to provide campaigns with voter data.”

Because of course.

Similar story from last year

As discovered by Chris Vickery, a cyber risk analyst at UpGuard, and reported by Gizmodo, an analytics firm hired by the Republican National Committee left the data of 198 million U.S. voters sitting out in the open on a public server. The more than a terabyte of data, owned by Deep Root Analytics, included personal identifying information like birth dates, home addresses and phone numbers as well as demographic info like ethnicity and religion.

In 2016, Deep Root earned more than $900,000 from the RNC for campaign year data and analysis on potential voters. The unprotected Deep Root database also contained data from other firms with RNC contracts, including Americans for Prosperity and the Data Trust, both well-funded conservative groups with massive data troves.

It is not fully clear if anyone made off with the exposed data during the 12 days it sat out in the open, but Deep Root doesn’t seem to think so.

And our senator is johnny on the spot with a bill to help secure our elections! 

http://grassrootsdempolitics.com/index.php/2018/08/23/gop-senators-stalling-on-the-secure-elections-act/

GOP Senators Stalling On The Secure Elections Act

Yahoo News today reported that at the request of the White House(read Trump), GOP members of the Senate Rules and Administration Committee that overseas federal elections today stalled a bill–Secure Elections Act–that enjoys bipartisan support and would have significantly shored up election system defenses against the threat of Russian hacking in the  midterms and beyond. Listed below are the shameful GOP Senators in the Rules Committee who don’t want to secure our voting machines. Notice the list includes two of the most despised U.S. Senators–Ted Cruz and Mitch McConnell–truly deplorable!!

I know I already posted this in the beto/beta thread, but it irks me how the really important shit like this gets no pub because everyone is going on about kneeling.   That is Cruz's gameplan and we need to wise up.  Every time he fans those flames, we should ignore that and ask questions about topics like this, or healthcare or education.  Bring the attention back to what type of man he really is, one who puts himself and his trajectory over anyone or anything else, including his wife and family.

I just skimmed over the text of the The Secure Elections Act.  It looks good to me.  Bringing back paper ballots to ensure vote tallies can be audited sounds like a step in the right direction.

However, it really doesn't have anything to do with the unsecured storage of voter data by some private entity.