Dan Neil on Culture

Bevoball

I think he quit after the 2005 season. It was just that we still had residuals left over to power us until 2009. Once Colt's group left that was that.

Mack was desperately hungry to win that championship and once he did he lost his edge. He is hardly unique in that.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, torre said:

fwiw,  Scipio stated Porter was in on the 2 minute offense for his blocking ability/recognize blitz to protect Sam.  (Scipio interview yesterday,  104.9, Chad and Kevin).

Should be noted that Maryland only rushed 3 with a spy linebacker.

1.  Exactly - why do we have our really good blocking RB in when they rush 2 or 3 and spy Ehlinger.

2.  Why the fuck can't the other three block and/or recognize a blitz?

1 hour ago, deech said:

1.  Exactly - why do we have our really good blocking RB in when they rush 2 or 3 and spy Ehlinger.

2.  Why the fuck can't the other three block and/or recognize a blitz?

He is also the one who has been in the offense for more than a summer.  That's got to be a factor.

1) He did fine.  He set up our going into half TD, and he set up our 4th down conversion on a catch and run, getting out of bounds in the process.  He made the blocks when needed and drew coverage when needed.  You guys are complaining about a guy who made the plays he was asked to.

2) Outside of the interception, Watson did well.  But Porter is a proven commodity in pass-pro.

3) If they'd have had Ingram/Watson in there, you guys would still be questioning why a new player was put in a crunch-time offense where running ability means squat.

4) He did fine.  You guys are complaining about a guy who made the plays he was asked to.

5) He did fine. You guys are complaining about a guy who made the plays he was asked to.

Edited by JBJ

18 hours ago, Blotto said:

Thats the fucking reason he gets paid $5 million a year. You think the kids at UCF knew how to win when Scott Frost showed up after an 0-12 season? Two years later they were 12-0. Check out  Urban Meyer's stints at BGU and Utah. That's what good coaches do. Shitty coaches bitch about their players trying to hard in season 2. 

Did Herman expect to walk into a top paying job, with top resources, more talent than 90% of FBS schools, with a team of trained assassins already laser focused on winning. Why the fuck did he think the job was open in the first place? The more I think about that press conference and his pussy ass excuses, the more it pisses me off. Fuck that clown.

Fair enough, but all 3 schools that you mention aren't Texas and don't come with the expectations that Texas has.  All of those teams have the advantage of the chip on their shoulder to motivate them.  Texas has the expectation to win every game they play.  I don't think it is the same situation.  And to further my point, Charlie had Louisville in a pretty good spot, sucked at Texas for 3 straight years, and then showed up at USF and seemed like all he knew how to do was coach 10 win teams.  Charlie had no clue how to meet the expectations of a Texas program.

You correctly point out that he doesn't have a team of trained assassins. These guys that have absolutely no clue how to win (and damn sure not how to win consistently) have Texas on their chest.  They are the classic "born on third base and think they hit a triple."  They read the bullshit rankings that say they are a top 25 team (or number 11 after beating a shitty ND team) and it immediately goes to their head.  They haven't earned the credibility that comes with their uniforms.  Somehow you have to make them think like the teams at UCF, BGU and Utah, that if they don't win every game no one will pay attention to them.

That comes with a culture of winning, and juniors and seniors that know that winning takes the ultimate sacrifice.  Instead, we have juniors and seniors that have one bowl win and one barely above 0.500 season to their name.  These upperclassmen have no clue how to win.  How are they supposed to set the culture of winning in the program?  Up until 2009, we had a ton of those guys in the program.  Now, I'm not sure we have any.

In my opinion, we are closer to Tennessee than the other programs you mention.  Everyone thinks we should be good, and they know once upon a time we were good.  But those days are long gone.

Last point and I will probably duck out on this topic, but I think culture might be the most important topic to discuss.

I'm not at all trying to compare Herman to Saban, and I'm not a Herman supporter, I just think this somewhat illustrates the point.  I live in SEC country so I pay more attention to it than the average Horn fan.  Everybody always talks about the Bama comparison, and it is easy to brush away as the ultimate fairy tale, but it also provides a good map to the road bumps to building culture.

Once upon a time, Alabama wandered the desert for a solid decade until hiring Nick Saban.  2007 was his first year and it was rocky to say the least.  They were in and out of the top 25 because they get the same benefit of the doubt that we do.  Losing to LSU, Miss St., Louisiana Monroe and then Auburn to end the regular season didn't have the Bammers singing his praises. 

2008 is the turning point for Saban, but it had some questionable games as well.  After starting against what would seem an easy game to get up for and pasting Clemson in Atlanta, they returned home the following week to beat Tulane 20-6.  A couple of easy wins to get their feet under them after that and they beat #3 Georgia. In typical SEC fashion, they rocket to the top of the rankings.  They celebrate their fresh #2 ranking with a 17-14 home win over Kentucky followed by a 24-20 home win over Ole Miss.  Neither of which makes the Bammers throw parades.  They seem to gain control of it all the way to the SEC Championship game, where they learn they are elite, but not the top of the heap.  They take all of that confidence and sleepwalk to a 31-17 ass kicking by Utah in the Sugar Bowl.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/alabama/2008-schedule.html

From there it has been pretty much green grass and roll tides forever.

I partly feel like I am writing all of this to get past my own anger and frustration, but I also realize it won't flip like a light switch.  It will be a steady build when (if) we ever make it back to the top.  And there will be plenty to worry about along the way.  I am still hopeful that Herman is the guy, mainly because if he isn't it means we are another 3 or 4 years away.  The performances so far don't inspire much confidence I will admit.  But after 30 years of watching Texas Football, I'm pretty sure I will watch the rest of the games this year to see what happens.

• Like 1