Oaxaca

SimonBolivar

Oaxaca is fun. I think three nights would be good, four nights top.

Go to the markets, drink mezcal, and eat the amazing food. There are plenty of bars and restaurants in the area.

Side trips not far away (no Uber)
- Monte Alban ruins
- Visit a mezcal distillery. You can schedule a tour. A group of five of us hired a van driver to drive us around for a day trip to Ocotlán de Morelos and then hit up Mezcal El Rey de Matatlán on the way back. Friday is the day to be in Ocotlán because of the market.
- Hierve el Agua
- The Monastery of Santiago Apóstol in Cuilapan de Guerrero

• Like 1

Definitely go to Oaxaca.  Eat at Criollo.  We did a lunch there that I will never forget.  Lasted like 4 hours.  8 courses, with booze.  $40/pp.  

Mezcaloteca 

Los Danzantes

Casa Oaxaca

If you time the trip right, you can take in a soccer game in either CDMX or Oaxaca.   

If given the opportunity to eat escamoles, do so

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
9 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Thinking about heading here at end of year. Is six nights too long? Also, any recs on good places to stay.

Gracias amigos.

why?  6 nights seems kind of long.   i was there for 3.  in a way i could have stayed longer - spent a day at monte alban and another day at mitla, so left one day for kicking around town, and maybe two days in town might have felt better.  lots of restaurants, the birthplace of mole, mezcal, chocolate, silver.  theres some coolness to the place for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Where in Oaxaca?

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

why?  6 nights seems kind of long.   i was there for 3.  in a way i could have stayed longer - spent a day at monte alban and another day at mitla, so left one day for kicking around town, and maybe two days in town might have felt better.  lots of restaurants, the birthplace of mole, mezcal, chocolate, silver.  theres some coolness to the place for sure.

Not sure where yet…just have seen great things about the area/city. Thanks for the input…I’ll check out the surrounding area.