Hampton/Newport News VA

Assman

Just now, G650 said:

Downtown Hampton actually has a few pretty good spots. Venture is a really good tapas place. The pork belly is phenomenal. Goody's deli next door is decent sandwich shop. Marker 20 for getting hammered with a bunch of yachties.

But if he is out in Newport News it may be easier to head up to Williamsburg for Fat Canary or Le Yaca.

csb - My cousin is one of the partners that founded Surf Rider. /csb

Haven't been in Hampton in so long. Good to hear it's got something going on.  Gonna try Le Yaca after our next W&M football weekend. The wife is a big Francophile.  

Funny, I met a contractor/job superintendent (he lives in Poquoson) up here in Richmond who said he built a small scale boat model in the dining room @ Surfrider.

Here I was thinking this thread would get 3 replies.

It was a just a 3 day, 2 night trip, but we flew during the days so all we really had were most of 2 nights to explore.  The first night we went down to Fort Monroe and ate at Deadrise.  Pretty good seafood and it seems like it would have a kick ass view during the day.  After that we went down to Marker 20 and had a few drinks.  The next night, we ate at Venture and had some really good pizza and homemade tots.  I wish we would have had more time to explore during the day, but such is life as aircrew.  The only time we'll have "off" on a trip is if our plane breaks.

On another note, I was kind of surprised how sparse the development was in downtown Hampton.  I realize it's a small town, but with all the population on the peninsula, especially up towards Newport News, and the AF/Navy crowd, you'd figure Hampton would be ripe for new development.  The downtown has a lot of potential but it just isn't there yet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I should have sent you to the bowling alley where Iverson was involved in a melee with some of my extended family.
It still amazes me the amount of racism in that area.

You mean for Virginia beach towns where they still sell Confederate flag beach towels? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Assman said:

Here I was thinking this thread would get 3 replies.

It was a just a 3 day, 2 night trip, but we flew during the days so all we really had were most of 2 nights to explore.  The first night we went down to Fort Monroe and ate at Deadrise.  Pretty good seafood and it seems like it would have a kick ass view during the day.  After that we went down to Marker 20 and had a few drinks.  The next night, we ate at Venture and had some really good pizza and homemade tots.  I wish we would have had more time to explore during the day, but such is life as aircrew.  The only time we'll have "off" on a trip is if our plane breaks.

On another note, I was kind of surprised how sparse the development was in downtown Hampton.  I realize it's a small town, but with all the population on the peninsula, especially up towards Newport News, and the AF/Navy crowd, you'd figure Hampton would be ripe for new development.  The downtown has a lot of potential but it just isn't there yet. 

If got got some tots from Venture, your trip was worth it. Glad you hit Marker too.

Edit: There really isn't that much population on the peninsula, that's part of the problem. The Southside has the vast majority of people and money.

Edited by G650

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

You mean for Virginia beach towns where they still sell Confederate flag beach towels? 

You got it wrong, they're just proud of losing.  So so proud. 

The "South" could be such an incredible place but bass akwards rednecks are just stuck in the past dreaming of the fictitious time when everyone without an abundance of melanin owned a plantation...

Full disclosure I'm at least 50% redneck...   I put 35's on 15" rims.... and a soft southern drawl... so I have that going for me, which is nice

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Loco said:

You got it wrong, they're just proud of losing.  So so proud. 

The "South" could be such an incredible place but bass akwards rednecks are just stuck in the past dreaming of the fictitious time when everyone without an abundance of melanin owned a plantation...

Full disclosure I'm at least 50% redneck...   I put 35's on 15" rims.... and a soft southern drawl... so I have that going for me, which is nice

Yeah, but those kinds of rednecks are in the minority . The new south is a mixture of locals and lots and lots of movie ins. This ain't yer mammas and grandmamas South any more.

Do you even deep south bro?

In the cities, I agree...  In the sticks, well no, there are tons of those morons.   Economic desperation makes them look for villains to blame for the bleakness of their lives...  rolling around the Piggly Wiggly in a rascal scooter ready to fight the good fight.  

I don't think of Va. Beach/Norfolk in these terms, but head a little further west or south and get back to me.

Edited by Loco

Just now, Loco said:

In the cities, I agree...  In the sticks, well no, there are tons of those morons.   Economic desperation makes them look for villains to blame for the bleakness of their lives...  rolling around the Piggly Wiggly in a rascal scooter ready to fight the good fight.  

Not often no, but I am talking more about the cities and suburbs.  

13 minutes ago, Loco said:

I don't think of Va. Beach/Norfolk in these terms, but head a little further west or south and get back to me.

Ah, the Wiggly....

Takes me back to my Charleston days.

It was BeLo here bro. You know this.