Hampton/Newport News VA

Assman

Mi casa es su casa. Well, if you come down to VB anyway.

Where you staying specifically? Hopefully downtown Hampton, because the rest of the Peninsula frankly sucks ass.

13 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Poquoson holla.

Oof.

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I take it you did not partake of the Seafood Festival last weekend my good man.  

I did not. I will go to the Urbanna oysterfest every now and again though.

I've got several good friends in Poquoson however.

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

Mi casa es su casa. Well, if you come down to VB anyway.

Where you staying specifically? Hopefully downtown Hampton, because the rest of the Peninsula frankly sucks ass.

Oof.

Yeah you've got to go to VA. Beach or head up river towards Richmond for the best food options.  The Mariners Museum is worth the visit if you're into nautical history.

Williamsburg for sure is worth a visit. There are some good restaurants there. The Fat Canary is my favorite.

A drive worth the time is to Merrior on the Rappahanock. Outdoor oyster bar in an old marina. Old salt oysters from the ocean side of the Eastern shore.

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Fucking loyalists Guinea men. The wifes grandma was right out of those back water, thieving bastard, marshes. One of the best cooks I've ever met

Remind me never to double cross her.

My family has got a place up on the Ware River in Gloucester, and apparently one time my cousin had a raging party there with a bunch of Guinea men. Needless to say she lost her key privileges.

25 minutes ago, G650 said:

It was the Jewish Grandmother's daughter, Jewish Mother, but yes, it's closed.

I just vaguely remember the crayons. Walked in tripping balls on acid. No crayons at the table? No problem! We'll just draw on the walls with the squeeze bottles of condiments. Seems like the band was a well known band from the area, did a sort of comedy routine as part of the performance. Good times.

Just now, El Diablo said:

I just vaguely remember the crayons. Walked in tripping balls on acid. No crayons at the table? No problem! We'll just draw on the walls with the squeeze bottles of condiments. Seems like the band was a well known band from the area, did a sort of comedy routine as part of the performance. Good times.

Yeah, back in the day the Jewish Mother was the best. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

JewMom had all sorts of great bands. I saw Leslie West there once, brought his entire stage setup from Mountain. Dude peeled the fucking paint off the walls it was so loud.

Woke up one time with a substantial collection of real estate signs I had apparently gathered on my way home on foot. No recollection of said gathering, but I ended up with probably 10. And they were the good steel framed ones too.

Just now, El Diablo said:

The Cave? Was that the name of a place too? And maybe The Boathouse? Think that may have been Norfolk though.

The Cave was nowhere special. The Boathouse was an institution though. It was in Norfolk. Got torn down maybe 15 years ago, the repairs it would have needed were insanely expensive. Definitely one of the top five places I regret being gone though, along with Peppermint Beach Club and the Dome.

Saw so many acts there. Butthole Surfers a couple times as a matter of fact for you Texas folk.

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

The Cave? Was that the name of a place too? And maybe The Boathouse? Think that may have been Norfolk though.

The Cave, Peabodys, Rogues Gallery, we used to Cath the Snard Brothers at the pier (can't remember the name of the actual bar name though)

yep I believe the Boathouse was Norfolk,

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

JewMom had all sorts of great bands. I saw Leslie West there once, brought his entire stage setup from Mountain. Dude peeled the fucking paint off the walls it was so loud.

Woke up one time with a substantial collection of real estate signs I had apparently gathered on my way home on foot. No recollection of said gathering, but I ended up with probably 10. And they were the good steel framed ones too.

The night we were in there tripping and using the condiments, the sweet waitress she just laughed and wiped the walls off, reached in her apron and got us some real crayons. Great place.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

The Cave was nowhere special. The Boathouse was an institution though. It was in Norfolk. Got torn down maybe 15 years ago, the repairs it would have needed were insanely expensive. Definitely one of the top five places I regret being gone though, along with Peppermint Beach Club and the Dome.

Saw so many acts there. Butthole Surfers a couple times as a matter of fact for you Texas folk.

To an underage HS kid the Cave was pretty cool for what it was.  

I can remember the peppermint beach club, the parents hung there when they were kids, and dad was in the Navy

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

The Flaming Idiots maybe? Was that a band from around there?

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The Cave, Peabodys, Rogues Gallery, we used to Cath the Snard Brothers at the pier (can't remember the name of the actual bar name though)

yep I believe the Boathouse was Norfolk,

Snard Brothers, think that was the band I'm trying to recall. Lots of great names played the Boathouse, Robin Trower played while I was stationed there.

Lulz I worked a summer at the Peppermint Beach Club...   epic shit hole.

What was the name of the theater on the South end of the beach that had $1 movies? &  looked like a legit old opera house inside...  I can't remember the name

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

To an underage HS kid the Cave was pretty cool for what it was.  

I can remember the peppermint beach club, the parents hung there when they were kids, and dad was in the Navy

PBC went waaaay back. Bill Deal and the Rhondels and all that shit. Closed in the early 90's. I saw Pantera there of all bands. Zakk Wylde too.

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

Lulz I worked a summer at the Peppermint Beach Club...   epic shit hole.

What was the name of the theater on the South end of the beach that had $1 movies? &  looked like a legit old opera house inside...  I can't remember the name

The Bayne one? That actually got turned into the wax museum? My grandpa actually managed that (the wax museum).

Saw BHS and STP at Strawberry Banks in ‘92. Great show.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

damn, lived there from 90-94 and can't name one memorable place to eat or thing to do. Most miserable couple of years of my life.

Sailor, right?

I don't think Va Beach or surrounding area is going to break any culinary ground, but at least when I lived there or rarely when I visit family there are good places around.  Pig pulls @ Ruddees' (if they still do that), Fried flounder @ the Beach Pub, Fish Tacos @ Baja Cantina, sandwiches from Taste Unlimited ...  I think those are still around.  Just not near where the OP was asking about.

My experience (and I'll defer to anyone who is still there) is Va Beach is SMALL town in the middle of a small city....   old boy network rules and if you're not known you'll always be on the outside looking in.  You'll be treated well, but you'll never be in the club (literally or figuratively)  I think it's hard to overstate how insulated that place can be. I'm sure it's like that in every small town, just not many people think of it as a small town...  there's a saying ...  "I'm not a local, I'm a native"

I've got an old picture of the place my parents brought me home from the hospital when I was born, it was Log cabin looking over Little Creek that my grandfather built  /csb 

Yep, sailor.

Lived over in Hampton as our boat was being built at newport news shipyard.

I agree about the good ole boy part. Once a girl found out you were in the navy they'd walk away.

Also, the strip clubs were fucking awful, not even topless.

I loved how they all had signs like:    stopless Dancing!

Yeah, I can't tell you how fucking awesome it was to grow up there in the 70s, and I still think it'd be an amazing place to raise a family, but Living there in your 20s would NOT be optimal.

All that being said, the Va Beach I grew up with is LONG gone, just how many Great Neck Fucking roads are there? I just want to go over to Bay Island!

12 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Saw BHS and STP at Strawberry Banks in ‘92. Great show.

Yeah, Strawberry Banks is another institution that is no longer with us.

11 hours ago, Loco said:

Sailor, right?

I don't think Va Beach or surrounding area is going to break any culinary ground, but at least when I lived there or rarely when I visit family there are good places around.  Pig pulls @ Ruddees' (if they still do that), Fried flounder @ the Beach Pub, Fish Tacos @ Baja Cantina, sandwiches from Taste Unlimited ...  I think those are still around.  Just not near where the OP was asking about.

My experience (and I'll defer to anyone who is still there) is Va Beach is SMALL town in the middle of a small city....   old boy network rules and if you're not known you'll always be on the outside looking in.  You'll be treated well, but you'll never be in the club (literally or figuratively)  I think it's hard to overstate how insulated that place can be. I'm sure it's like that in every small town, just not many people think of it as a small town...  there's a saying ...  "I'm not a local, I'm a native"

I've got an old picture of the place my parents brought me home from the hospital when I was born, it was Log cabin looking over Little Creek that my grandfather built  /csb 

Believe it or not, there's is actually a pretty decent food scene here now. But, as you can imagine, it's strictly at the Oceanfront and the Shore Dr. corridor. There ain't no good eatin in fucking Kempsville.

Town Center is ok too, but fuck Town Center.

The biggest thing I would say is Virginia Beach is a now small town in the middle of a bigger city now. The metro area has gone from a couple hundred thousand when we were kids to almost 2 million. And it's practically all fucking suburb. The Oceanfront and Shore Dr. are the only remotely habitable parts of the city. The other cities are pretty much the same. You have Old Town Portsmouth which is pretty cool, downtown Hampton, and everything else is just wasteland. Chesapeake is basically the most worthless city on the planet.

Rudee's is still there (pulled my wife outta there btw.), Baja, Beach Pub et al. But there is some real deal stuff too now like Terrapin, Eurasia, Esoteric... Plus good old Steinhilbers still kicking. Oh, and the spent a gazillon dollars refurbishing the Cavalier.

I consider the Oceanfront a different city than VB tbh. At least that's what I tell myself so I don't jump in front of a bus.

10 hours ago, blacklab said:

Yep, sailor.

Lived over in Hampton as our boat was being built at newport news shipyard.

I agree about the good ole boy part. Once a girl found out you were in the navy they'd walk away.

Also, the strip clubs were fucking awful, not even topless.

I loved how they all had signs like:    stopless Dancing!

Oh shit, if you were a squid your opinion is not valid unless we are talking about the latest Honda CBR 1000 or homoerotic volleyball scenes.

The sTopless dancing made me lol. That takes me back, havne't seen one of those in years. Some of the cities are topless now if you ever meander back. TO be honest, you were stuck on the peninsula, which is awful. You would have had more fun on this side of the water. And I say that as the captain of the Virginia Beach hate squad.

Edited by G650

10 hours ago, Loco said:

Yeah, I can't tell you how fucking awesome it was to grow up there in the 70s, and I still think it'd be an amazing place to raise a family, but Living there in your 20s would NOT be optimal.

All that being said, the Va Beach I grew up with is LONG gone, just how many Great Neck Fucking roads are there? I just want to go over to Bay Island!

This is still very true. Great schools, very safe, very clean, surfing sailing and all that. Perfect family place.

Even as a 40 something with a kid though I chafe here.

4 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

G if you could please kick the owners of 17th street in the head I would appreciate it.
Their site has been down for years and I can’t get new gear.
Had to settle for WRV.

It's been some corporation for 20+ years. They have them in strip malls across the area, bleh. I do scope eBay for old 17th shirts every now and again though! WRV is still local at least, though I haven't been in for years, and it may as well be corporate. We've had a Whalebone up here for quite awhile now too.

I got pretty tight with Al Merrick when I lived in Santa Barbara, but even CI sold out a few years back. Hard to find any small stuff anymore. We have a local guy shaping called 757 surfboards which I totally support. I don't think the boards are all that hot though.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Cocaine is a helluva drug.....

That was Hotline...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

I know right?

I asked ye olde @Assman where he was staying to give some rec's but he hasn't responded yet.

I'd hope he gotten that hint already. There isn't anywhere that great to eat in those areas. Add Norfolk, and your horizons expand some.  Sure there are lots of little dives with traditional fried seafood, but that Hampton area, and the Peninsula (Newport News) are just not hitting on all food cylinders.

Push your limits to Route 5 and the Plantation corridor becomes an option for food and cool historical things to see within an hour or so drive of Hampton and Newport News.  Upper Shirley is a damned good choice. Winery on the James with decent wines, and uber good eats. Plus the rt. 5 drive is a pretty one with the plantations for touring.  

Poquoson has Surf Rider which all the wifes family says is great, another traditional fried seafood joint though.  Va Beach, and Williamsburg are gonna be his best bets for better and or upscale cuisine.  Is Lucky Star still operating ?  That was a personal favorite.

Because of the proximity I'd go Williamsburg, and as I already mentioned Fat Canary on Duke of Gloucester street has always been very strong.

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd hope he gotten that hint already. There isn't anywhere that great to eat in those areas. Add Norfolk, and your horizons expand some.  Sure there are lots of little dives with traditional fried seafood, but that Hampton area, and the Peninsula (Newport News) are just not hitting on all food cylinders.

Push your limits to Route 5 and the Plantation corridor becomes an option for food and cool historical things to see within an hour or so drive of Hampton and Newport News.  Upper Shirley is a damned good choice. Winery on the James with decent wines, and uber good eats. Plus the rt. 5 drive is a pretty one with the plantations for touring.  

Poquoson has Surf Rider which all the wifes family says is great, another traditional fried seafood joint though.  Va Beach, and Williamsburg are gonna be his best bets for better and or upscale cuisine.  Is Lucky Star still operating ?  That was a personal favorite.

Because of the proximity I'd go Williamsburg, and as I already mentioned Fat Canary on Duke of Gloucester street has always been very strong.

Downtown Hampton actually has a few pretty good spots. Venture is a really good tapas place. The pork belly is phenomenal. Goody's deli next door is decent sandwich shop. Marker 20 for getting hammered with a bunch of yachties.

But if he is out in Newport News it may be easier to head up to Williamsburg for Fat Canary or Le Yaca.

csb - My cousin is one of the partners that founded Surf Rider. /csb