Big 12 Shopping Title Game

Hurtlocker

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This is not a football deal.  The football games ESPN+ has are mostly FCS/D2/Sunbelt.   This will be about having the baseball and women's basketball road games on ESPN+.

Yeah I think + is the mouses way to get out of cable deals and onto smart TVs and devices.   It will replace ESPN3 or WatchESPN more than it will take content from ESPN's current channels.   The football games involved are NOT against Texas or Oklahoma.   Its like Rapelor's shit football games against the Blessed Mother of the Holy Hand Grenade or olympic sports.   That's where you'll see road games show up, which you wouldn't see now because they were either unaired or were on a local package somewhere else.

17 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

if the deal is $40 million X 6 then it is a good deal

but in your calculations the $240 - ($20 X 3 CCG) should really be $240 - ($20 X 6) because the Big 12 is getting $20 million a year now for the 3 CCGs that ESPN already owns and if those are tossed into this deal then that leaves $120 million for "other stuff" and I believe that UT and OU still get their cut so it would be $120/6/10 = $2 million more for everyone on just "other stuff" and then another $2 million per year per team for the remaining CCGs or $4 million more per year for the remaing 6 years which would be $240 million total and when added to the $2.6 billion over 13 years would bump that up from about $20 million on average per year to $22 million on average per year

because the $20 million per year average was exclusive of the CCGs and when the Big 12 added the CCGs they hoped to get $25 million or so for them and it has been reported that ESPN was paying $20 million and Fox about the same, but Fox had offered $18 or $19 for the final 3 and the Big 12 said "pass we will go to the market"

so there was a bump up from the $20 million a year 13 year average already with the CCGs the hope would be that this new deal is how you are thinking and it is $40 per year for 6 years which bumps the average over 13 years to $22 million and would bump the final years up about $4 million per year (those years will already be over $20 million because it is the later years of the contact).....the mid point year will be 2019-20 so next year when the Big 12 should get close to an actual $20 million per team from media rights exclusive of the CCG and exclusive of this new deal although the contract does not scale in a straight linear fashion of $1 million more per team per year

One of these, is not like the others: #PoachingSeason...

imgur>

If using tDoWV's data: (from tweets last night)
XII will earn $2-3m. for  XII CCG/ $2M for ESPN+ deal...
 XII members - $40.1m. XII 1st/2nd tier revenue...
Texas -  $15m. 3rd tier network earnings... (LHN)
Oklahoma - $9m. 3rd tier network earnings... (SStv)
UT: $59m. OU: $52m./ vs. B1G $51m. SEC: $41m.
So, in the end, more exposure on (olympic road games) better "bump" in $$$...

ESPN adds XII CCG(s): '19-'21-'23/ 8 XII schools gain digital net on ESPN+/ UT & OU gain revenue bump, exposure for XII road games: $4.2 million per school...
While USC ($31m.) - $2.7 million per school PACN, lost coverage on AT&T Uverse, isn't on Directv/ OU ($52m.)/ UT ($59m.) in earnings; USC would listen to XII...

Football buyouts push ASU, Arizona athletics into deficits for FY2018

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/...asu...2018/2874084002/
Mar 4, 2019 - ASU and Arizona athletic departments report large deficits for fiscal year 2018 because ... Also media rights revenue increased to $27.1 million.

Pac-12 teams are seeing drastically lower payouts than expected from ...

https://awfulannouncing.com/.../pac-12-teams-are-seeing-drastically-lower-payouts-th...
Feb 14, 2019 - Larry Scott at the 2018 Pac-12 Media Days. ... hiring a PR firm and attempting to raise media rights revenue while trying to convince themselves ...

Pre-2025: DAZN, ran by former ESPN boss John Skipper, partner with ESPN, attempt raid PAC - USC/UCLA ect. out west, to increase value of UT/OU  - XII...

ESPN, DAZN Figuring Out How To Co-Exist In Boxing Marketplace

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2019/02/28/.../DAZN-Boxing.aspx
Feb 28, 2019 - Canelo Alvarez will make the rounds on various ESPN TV and radio shows over the next two days along with Daniel Jacobs to promote their ...

Pac-12, DAZN announce new multi-year streaming partnership ...

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa...pac-12.../113b273w5811f1ccw2v7l1ltsi
Mar 5, 2018 - With spring sport seasons in full swing, NCAA fans will have a new way of watching games live in Canada. The Pac-12 Network and DAZN ...

Edited by kopp0e

As a boxing junkie, there is a three way cold war between DAZN, TR/ESPN and PBC/Fox/SHO/CBS. I'm betting that Showtime will soon follow HBO lead and leave the boxing game all together.  Which leaves DAZN and ESPN.  ESPN has such an advantage in PR and marketability because it is the go to place for all sporting news/events.  I subscribe to both and I just had to pay $100 for a full year for DAZN. DAZN has been desperate to get more subscribers which is why they offered Deontay Wilder 100 mil for three fights with them (he turned it down). I would be wary for the Pac 12 to get into bed with DAZN because the app is off and on when streaming live.. and also they are selling rights for certain sports

This deal is basically shining a turd. Were it not for the Longhorn network, our current TV deal would leave Texas far behind Minnesota in media revenue. As cord-cutting and streaming reshape the cable money model, ESPN will be less willing and able to pay the kind of money needed for us to subsidize our conference-mates. There will likely someday be some form of premium extraction on Disney's new streaming platform-- it wouldn't surprise me to see it weaponized against cable companies on ESPN's behalf. Maximizing (1) the net marketability of our games, (2) the realization of potential revenue from said marketability, and (3) the share of the revenue going to UT should be a strategic priority.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:51 AM, Burt Macklin said:

I’d be all for us playing USC and ND every year (and OU too) and then figuring out the rest.

With new competitors like Amazon, Twitter, etc. and more entering the market all the time, we’d have no trouble monetizing our rights. I’d think we’d be especially valuable to someone like Amazon becuase they could test out college rights with us, without having to shell out billions just to enter the market, like they would if bought a whole conference. 

Yes. A confederation of blue-blood independents or semi-independents would be a tremendous foundation on which to build a stock of marketable games. Playing nationally recognized teams like ND, USC, and to a lesser degree Army and BYU, regularly would not be hard to supplement with meaningful regional and P5 opponents. The companies you mention are both adept and improving at monetizing eyeballs.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:55 PM, BurntEyes said:

They would never do it, imo, but those three with a Michigan and/or Ohio State plus a mid/Major SE draw, say UTenn or even moreso Bama would have a metric fuck ton of an Independent market presence.

Texas vs:

USC

Note Dame

Ohio State/Michigan

Alabama

Ou sux

Ever year in the "Independent" would be epic and the entire nation would have interest in just about the entire conference slate. Throw in random tier 2 regionals against Washington, Florida State, George Tech, Pitt, Maryland, Rutgers and Tech/Rice and well, I'd travel a lot for aways.

Since we are talking fantasy, I wanted to pitch mine.

Sadly, I agree this is unlikely to happen. Our leadership needs to look at all options, though, or we will slip down in comparative revenue as the B12 ladder atop which we are perched slowly sinks into mud. We are in better shape than the Pac, but not by enough or forever.

13 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

This deal is basically shining a turd. Were it not for the Longhorn network, our current TV deal would leave Texas far behind Minnesota in media revenue. As cord-cutting and streaming reshape the cable money model, ESPN will be less willing and able to pay the kind of money needed for us to subsidize our conference-mates. There will likely someday be some form of premium extraction on Disney's new streaming platform-- it wouldn't surprise me to see it weaponized against cable companies on ESPN's behalf. Maximizing (1) the net marketability of our games, (2) the realization of potential revenue from said marketability, and (3) the share of the revenue going to UT should be a strategic priority.

Yes. A confederation of blue-blood independents or semi-independents would be a tremendous foundation on which to build a stock of marketable games. Playing nationally recognized teams like ND, USC, and to a lesser degree Army and BYU, regularly would not be hard to supplement with meaningful regional and P5 opponents. The companies you mention are both adept and improving at monetizing eyeballs.

Sadly, I agree this is unlikely to happen. Our leadership needs to look at all options, though, or we will slip down in comparative revenue as the B12 ladder atop which we are perched slowly sinks into mud. We are in better shape than the Pac, but not by enough or forever.

This next round of rights will be fascinating. For so long, everyone has talked about conference realignment, but if schools like UT, OU, USC, etc. decide to sign exclusive rights deals with all the new competitors in the market, then we may see a big divide within even current  P5 teams.  It may still seem unlikely now, but with where the market’s currently heading, in 4 years when we start to negotiate our rights, it may be considered the clear and obvious decision. 

TCU or Baylor won’t make much on an individual rights deal, but they’ll also get a lot less if they stay in the Big 12 without UT or OU.

Granted, you also have to consider the political factor, especially for public institutions. I doubt the Texas legislature would appreciate us leaving the other Texas schools behind. 

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This next round of rights will be fascinating. For so long, everyone has talked about conference realignment, but if schools like UT, OU, USC, etc. decide to sign exclusive rights deals with all the new competitors in the market, then we may see a big divide within even current  P5 teams.  It may still seem unlikely now, but with where the market’s currently heading, in 4 years when we start to negotiate our rights, it may be considered the clear and obvious decision. 

TCU or Baylor won’t make much on an individual rights deal, but they’ll also get a lot less if they stay in the Big 12 without UT or OU.

Granted, you also have to consider the political factor, especially for public institutions. I doubt the Texas legislature would appreciate us leaving the other Texas schools behind. 

Isn't the Big 12 the only conference that allows schools to manage their own third tier media?

23 minutes ago, DougO said:

I just wish they could bring back Big 12 No Huddle, or equivalent. ESPN's chopped up replays suck shit.

So the only place any school could make deals with "new competitors" is the Big 12. It sure would be funny if what supposedly tore the Big 12 apart (LHN) comes to put it out in front of everyone else i.e. Netflix, Amazon, etc. deals. 

1 hour ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

So the only place any school could make deals with "new competitors" is the Big 12. It sure would be funny if what supposedly tore the Big 12 apart (LHN) comes to put it out in front of everyone else i.e. Netflix, Amazon, etc. deals. 

as of now all Big 12 content is tied up

tier 1 and 2 until 2024-25

LHN until 2031(0r is it 32)

OU 3rd tier with Fox for at least a couple of more years if not until 2024-25

and the other 8 members 3rd tier now with ESPN/ESPN+ until 2024-25

between now and then in 2022-23 the Big 10 again sells the content they just sold

in 2023-24 the SEC SEC SEC sells the 16 games of the week plus the CCG that CBS has now

and in 2023-24 the PAC 12 sells their tier 1 and 2

and technically since the PAC 12 owns their tier 3 as a whole along with the near valueless PAC12n (as the latest ESPN offer valued it) they could sell that content or share it or distribute it with anyone that they want to

the SEC SEC SEC tier 2 and 3 is tied up with ESPN until 2032

the ACC everything is tied up with ESPN until 2032

and the Big 10 tier three is 50% Big 10 and 50% Fox for the BTN

12 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Isn't the Big 12 the only conference that allows schools to manage their own third tier media?

11 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

When I was talking about amazon, twitter, etc. I was talking about them buying our first tier rights when the current deal is up.

10 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

as of now all Big 12 content is tied up

tier 1 and 2 until 2024-25

LHN until 2031(0r is it 32)

OU 3rd tier with Fox for at least a couple of more years if not until 2024-25

and the other 8 members 3rd tier now with ESPN/ESPN+ until 2024-25

Don't be surprised to see ESPN make a strong push to gain PAC brands in XII fold,
ESPN now has 3rd tier rights to ACC/ SEC & XII schools, plus Ivy League & G5 leagues:

fzWNecc.jpg

& as recently ESPN offered to carry PACN on new deal into the 2030's/ Larry Scott said no...

Jan 21, 2019 - As part of Disney's blockbuster deal for Fox's entertainment assets, the company has agreed to divest a basket of regional sports networks.
Jan 11, 2019 - Fox confirms that it does not intend to bid for any of the Fox regional sports networks that Disney (or any entity operating on its behalf) may sell ...

Technically, OU 3rd tier is branded, at this point by Fox, but no longer owned by Fox...
As Disney purchased the Fox RSN's as part of deal that gained 21st Century Fox deal...

Ironically, the (former) Fox RSN's might be bought by the likes of Charter/ MLB, or Ice Cube's "Big3":

So, don't be surprised to see ESPN use the signing of 3rd tier rights with XII brands
as a tool that could help "move brands around" in the event PACN equity sale fails,
as currently, Oklahoma - $52m. per yr./ Texas - $59m. per yr., out-earn not only both
SEC @ $41m. per yr, but B1G @ $51m. per yr... Keep in mind, USC, the "king" of PAC
brands, is behind XII "kings" OU & UT on average between $20 to $25+ million less
than the #RedRiverRivals, not only that, but USC/ UCLA earn less than TCU & Kansas...

(If ESPN could orchestrate a merger), Look for XII brand West Virginia to place in ACC...
A possible division alignment gives option for east/west, or north/south in *PX6/SWC:

C560MBm.jpg

or

ylY9Wkk.jpg

*(vs the alternate option): 

Dm3iZGbWsAEZUQu.jpg:large

Total in division travel amount: 4,660.5 miles/ average in division travel amount: 665.7 miles per opponent...

B1G west division, from Norman to the campus of:
Oklahoma - *
Texas - 6 h 9 min. (371.9 mi)
Nebraska - 6 h 35 min (450.3 mi)
Iowa - 9 h 32 min (674.5 mi)
Minnesota - 11 h 23 min (804.2 mi)
Wisconsin - 12 h 21 min (854.2 mi)
Northwestern - 11 h 58 min (810.7 mi)
Illinois - 10 h 13 min (694.7 mi)

That's putting a real financial strain on the common fan on away trips (not counting for traveling visitors to Austin/ Norman)...
What about when one of the 7 schools (50% of B1G) with lower football attendance than Oklahoma State travels to Austin/ Norman..?
As 3 B1G west foes: Minnesota/ N'Western/ Illinois, & 4 B1G east foes: Indiana/ Purdue/ Maryland/ Rutgers, half the league...
And the issue of how much farther travel is in potential B1G east division/ Texas would travel even farther than OU in B1G west...

Total in division travel amount: 7,481.3 miles/ average in division travel amount: 1,068.7miles per opponent...

B1G west division, from Austin to the campus of:
Texas - *
Oklahoma - 6 h 9 min. (371.9 mi)
Nebraska - 12 h 44 min (822.2 mi)
Iowa - 15 h 43 min (1,046.4 mi)
Minnesota - 17 h 32 min (1,766.1 mi)
Wisconsin - 18 h 30 min (1,226.1 mi)
Northwestern - 18 h 7 min (1,182.6 mi)
Illinois - 16 h 22 min (1,066 mi)

*(And those are the in division games, not the B1G east; but B1G west "rivalries"... That's a lot of altering for a bump in tv revenue)...

Just a few things to factor along with ability of knowing UT & OU would average playing at B1G east schools of UM/MSU/tOSU/PSU 1x (maybe 2x) per decade...

Edited by kopp0e

• 3 weeks later...

Sinclair is the reported winner of the former Fox RSNs, with a “handshake agreement” to buy them for up to $10 billion

It looks like the 21 remaining former Fox RSNs have been sold to Sinclair, which only reportedly reemerged as a bidder earlier this month.
https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/sinclair-fox-rsns-up-to-10-billion.html

Amazon & Sinclair Are Reportedly in Talks to Jointly Buy 21 Fox Sports Networks

by Luke Bouma on April 26, 2019

Edited by kopp0e