Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

• 2 weeks later...

I’m interested to see how SAF does in the World Cup.  They had a strong showing in the West Indies on some turning pitches and Faf is in great form right now.  QdK tends to do well in UAE along with Rabada and Nortje.  David Miller was shit in the IPL the little I saw of him.  Too bad their quota system has led to AB de Villiers telling them to fuck off.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:58 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’m interested to see how SAF does in the World Cup.  They had a strong showing in the West Indies on some turning pitches and Faf is in great form right now.  QdK tends to do well in UAE along with Rabada and Nortje.  David Miller was shit in the IPL the little I saw of him.  Too bad their quota system has led to AB de Villiers telling them to fuck off.

Faf was not selected for the south african team!!!!!!

This Kohli-Shastri partnership can't end fast enough. 

The batting fail aside, so many mistakes made in run defense. 

If Hardik is not going to bowl, why keep including him in the playing XI?

Shami is not a T20 bowler and today proved it. Why he was chosen to go ahead of Bumrah in the death was baffling? Bumrah's quota should have been fulfilled. 

Even worse than Shami was Bhuvneshwar. He's no longer the 1A-1B pairing with Bumrah. Maybe play Shardul in place of Bhuvneshwar?

I don't understand what VC brought to this match. He wasn't bad, but how he got picked ahead of Chahal and played ahead of Ashwin was baffling. This match meant more than just WC opener and the team needed veteran bowlers who can bag wickets. I would have liked to see Ashwin with the new ball in the power play. 

I'm also wondering what is Dhoni's role. Is he able to give suggestions? Are they even being taken into account? I tend to believe he's just there in a ceremonial role, but I would like him to be involved because a 10 wicket loss to a hated arch rival in unacceptable. I guess Kohli and Shastri don't comprehend that concept.

I've wondered if there might be times a spinner would be better in the PP, but I don't think I have ever seen it in T20.  Seems having all those guys in closer increase the chances of cutting down singles thus building more pressure on the batsmen.  Varun is supposed to be the "mystery spinner" based on his IPL performances but he got worked pretty bad yesterday.  Still don't rate skinny over him though.

England
Australia
Pakistan
New Zealand

South Africa should have two losses after their final match with England.  Australia "should" beat both Bangladesh and West Indies to squeak ahead of the Proteas.

Unlike the Astros at least India's bats finally woke up.  But it's too little too late to make the semis.

Meh. Anyone but Pak. It doesn't really matter at this point.

Good bye to Bewda as manager. Rahul Dravid should be an upgrade and should be good national team coach. He coached the India A and U-19 teams. I hope he maintains his connections to the U-19 team as I think he'll be able to get young talent into the mix to receive early exposure and know when to bench vets who aren't in form.

Also good riddance to Koach as the captain. People conveniently forget how dependent he was on MS Dhoni for decision making and his lineups have been quite baffling. Rohit will be an upgrade captaining white ball and Rahane the same for test cricket (although not sure how long the latter will continue to play for Team India). I personally believe Koach knew that his captaincy would be in jeopardy once he realized that a new sheriff would be in town. He's a great cricket player and a top notch batsman, but his head got too big. We saw this after Koach got Anil Kumble forced out as team manager.

Edited by UDontKnow

45 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Down goes England.  If ICC hadn't screwed NZ in the 2019 WC they would have a shot to hold the ODI, Test and T20 championships at the same time.

Now I need AUS to take care of business against PAK.

I am going for pak in this one. Its sweeter if they come so close to winning, but then dont. Lol. 

But no matter - Kiwis are the team of destiny. All previous wrongs from the universe towards them must be righted under the leadership of prophet williamson. 

Edited by remoh

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Down goes England.  If ICC hadn't screwed NZ in the 2019 WC they would have a shot to hold the ODI, Test and T20 championships at the same time.

Now I need AUS to take care of business against PAK.

Mohammad Rizwan and Shoaib Malik missed their training yesterday because they have been diagnosed with flu and could possibly miss tomorrow's semifinal match versus Aussie. It's a shame the PCB can't get influenza vaccines for their players.

37 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Pooooooor Pakis. Always the chokiest of the chokers. Wouldn’t be surprised if we found out some of them fixed the match. 

I hope the final is as good as these two semi-finals and hopefully it’s not another win toss win match contest. 

Seeing Pak drop a catch to the batsman who then takes them for 18 on the next 3 deliveries resulting in a loss with one over of deliveries left to spare.

Muah Thesimpsons GIFs | Tenor

And at this point it would be a huge surprise if the toss winner does NOT win the championship match.

Indian team is getting like 2-3 day rest after each major tourney. 

ipl -> t20 wc -> kiwi bilateral

1. i think we will rarely play with the proper A team given this cadence. 

2. i getting burnt out with this much cricket as a fan!! Might give up all non-test bilateral cricket for a while. Its all very pointless anyway. 

India win the second match to take unassailable 2-0 lead in the prestigious Paytm series.  Harshal Patel is your MotM on debut.

Dravid already said no major changes expected for the dead rubber but I hope he’s just f’ing with the media. I would like to see Gaikwad get a game opening the batting and let either KLR or Rohit take a break.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

So you want to play short leg in your test debut?  Might want to reconsider.

West Indies debutant Jeremy Solozano got fucking wrecked by a hard pull shot off the bat of Sri Lanka's Dimuth Karunaratne.  He got carted off on the stretcher and loaded into the amberlamps before being taken to the hospital.

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So you want to play short leg in your test debut?  Might want to reconsider.

West Indies debutant Jeremy Solozano got fucking wrecked by a hard pull shot off the bat of Sri Lanka's Dimuth Karunaratne.  He got carted off on the stretcher and loaded into the amberlamps before being taken to the hospital.

Must be the camera angle, but he looks to be much too close. Did he think he was gonna scalp an edge off of the bat in that position? Why isn't he backed up more?