Great American Coin Hunt? April 21-27

AUS-97HORN

Canecutter has provided some excellent information, but I would like to clarify one thing. All of the coins in the OP are well circulated. There's not really a problem with touching them. Your pulling them out and admiring them once in a while, (that's what she said), won't affect the value at all. Now you shouldn't clean them with anything that might scratch them, but holding them in your hand won't hurt them.

Now if they were "Proof" or in "Uncirculated" condition that would be different, but in this case, "No".

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Growing up we used to clean old wheat heads by soaking them in tacobell hot sauce. Cleaned em up great, but probably ruined them for collectors somehow.

You probably didn't hurt most of them. One thing you can do with old copper (heard this from a coin dealer, sue him if I'm wrong) is soak it in olive oil for a couple of days. I'm not talking about with some million-dollar auction winner, I mean with a handful of crusty green pennies you might find in a jar.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Canecutter has provided some excellent information, but I would like to clarify one thing. All of the coins in the OP are well circulated. There's not really a problem with touching them. Your pulling them out and admiring them once in a while, (that's what she said), won't affect the value at all. Now you shouldn't clean them with anything that might scratch them, but holding them in your hand won't hurt them.

Now if they were "Proof" or in "Uncirculated" condition that would be different, but in this case, "No".

I mostly wanted to say "dickbeaters."

• Haha 1