Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

https://archive.org/details/gd71-11-15.sbd.cotsman.12438.sbeok.shnf/gd71-11-15d2t02.shn

Here you go.  It's from Austin, Texas...Baby!

I've been on the road a lot so far this year, which is really new to me as I've never had to travel much for work. Friday nights with bourbon, my one hitter, and the Grateful Dead are exactly what I need.  I was checking out 3/22/90 earlier today.  Solid show, but the show from the night before has the Mississippi Half Step from the Without a Net album.  I'm listening to a little of everything right now.

I am checking out Dead & Co from 5/8/23 right now.  I've always thought Eyes of the World was one they did really well and this one is pretty damn solid...I still think the 6/22/19 may have been peak Dead & Co.  I'm debating a trip to Vegas for a Sphere show.  A little microdose shrooms might be fun too. 

Holy crap! It’s up! It’s just 6 days old. I search for  this periodically. There are bits and pieces but this is the first time I’ve seen the whole thing uploaded. I’m just diving in so I’m just assuming it’s all there.

I was just about to post an old episode of Weir Here. I miss those old Wednesday night free shows from Bobby’s TRI Studios. Then Jerry’s birthday fell on a Wednesday and holy shit, what a night.

Speaking of Eyes, make sure you catch this one. Look at the smiles on the faces of the young musicians when the magic happens. Mission in the Rain is another must see.

• Haha 1

Oh, also Days Between. That’s my favorite version of that song. I never really “got it” until I heard that performance by Bobby. What a gift.

Okay, thus is the documentary, not the complete show. I’ve seen it before and it’s excellent but there’s a lot of music that’s not included. Some of the music, and some of the performers, didn’t work out as well as others. (Anytime Joe Russo wasn’t drumming, or at least participating on percussion like on Franklin’s, the music took a step back, for example.) This video has the 2-ish hour doc plus what looks to me like a funky silent glitchy replay tacked on. I don’t know what’s up with that. But the Mission, Eyes, and Days haven’t been up on YouTube before so check all those out.

That was my introduction to Lukas Nelson. He’s legit and pretty cool. I like what I’ve seen from his band.

Donna kicked ass in this show. Screw the haters.

RIP Neal Casal.

Bobby rules. I love his tone in this show and he threw down some serious licks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I wonder why they stoped playing Mission in the Rain. That’s a fantastic song.

It was a staple in JGB setlists. The Dead only played it 5 times, all in June of ‘76. The fact that Bobby wasn’t in the lineup when they played it for Jerry’s 70th might be a clue. It’s probably just a better fit for JGB and not so much for the Dead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This was the episode of Weir Here I revisited recently and was planning to share here before I got distracted. Those were such a treat. Bobby had a pretty wide variety of guests. Sometimes he didn’t perform a lot himself but it was best when he did. Then the “couch” portion of the show when they sat down and reminisced with Steve Parish was always fun and informative.

This one was with Phil. I don’t want to give away too many spoilers but it starts with a Bobby solo Sugar Mag that is just a gem in its own right. Then Phil comes on to join in and before he can even get fired up Bobby utters a typical Dead line: “This is already not going according to plan.” No Sunshine Daydream, instead they segue into a duet of Cosmic Charlie.

There are other musical guests. I won’t spoil those. But when they adjourn to the couch they reminisce about Pigpen (and a little bit about his romps with Janis). Then they come back and play a pretty solid Operator. That’s another highlight, imo. I’ll just leave it at that.

It turns out that the Move Me Brightly video has more than just the documentary. I fell asleep watching it the other night and woke up to the last song on the video: Ship of Fools sung by Neal Casal. I ‘rewound’ the video and saw that there’s more there. I’ll have to revisit it. I haven’t done that yet.

Just an example, though, here’s a poem for Jerry written by David Crosby and read by Jim Lauderdale before they play Friend of the Devil. (I don’t think it’s the greatest poem in the world but you be the judge.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk3fDgkZmfI&t=3h18m32s

Neal’s a special case. I’d never heard of him before that show, just like most of the other guest performers in that show like Lukas Nelson or Harper Simon — Paul’s kid. Neal was a fairly constant presence in that rotating lineup and eventually had just one song to sing. He nailed it. He’s featured in a number of interview segments early in the doc. I don’t remember where his song fit in the original performance. That whole thing was around 4-and-a-half hours long. (Pretty stunning when I didn’t even know it was going to happen and had no idea when it would end; Weir Here episodes were usually around 2 hrs long.)

Anyway, I don’t know what Neal’s demons were but he took his own life a little more than 7 years later. I’ve never heard the cause nor the reason. From what I can gather it took everyone by surprise. There are only a few excerpts from that show that I could find before this ‘full’ video was posted. But Neal’s rendition of Fools was up there. I just never found it before because I wasn’t searching specifically by his name. You can watch it in the Move Me Brightly video but here it is standalone:

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/26/2024 at 10:52 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Just closing out a tab. Here’s another good episode of Weir Here.

Oh, and for all you slackers out there, you should watch this whole video because all of it is excellent. But here it is cued up to Bobby switching on his cool wah-wah effect and some fun banter before they launch into a very nice Crazy Fingers.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh, and for all you slackers out there, you should watch this whole video because all of it is excellent. But here it is cued up to Bobby switching on his cool wah-wah effect and some fun banter before they launch into a very nice Crazy Fingers.

Warren's vocals gave me chills.  Good stuff!

15 hours ago, dcbc said:

Warren's vocals gave me chills.  Good stuff!

Warren’s voice is a good stand-in for Brent Mydland. Ever heard him sing Tons of Steel?

Here’s a better recording that includes a long jam at the end of the song; the other guitarist is Jimmy Herring (formerly of Aquarium Rescue Unit):

https://archive.org/details/2001-04-29.paf.sbd.bertha-ashley.5877.sbeok.flacf/pf01-04-29newd2t03.flac

Well, that post was list night.  I'm not sure why it didn't get posted, but whatever,  I'm all about this very fine 4/4/88 show from Hartford tonight.  Hartford shows seem to traditionally kick ass!

On 3/24/2024 at 7:10 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Holy crap! It’s up! It’s just 6 days old. I search for  this periodically. There are bits and pieces but this is the first time I’ve seen the whole thing uploaded. I’m just diving in so I’m just assuming it’s all there.

I was just about to post an old episode of Weir Here. I miss those old Wednesday night free shows from Bobby’s TRI Studios. Then Jerry’s birthday fell on a Wednesday and holy shit, what a night.

Speaking of Eyes, make sure you catch this one. Look at the smiles on the faces of the young musicians when the magic happens. Mission in the Rain is another must see.

A story involving Luke, Dale Hansen (Ch. 8 Sports in Dallas), and the Stoneleigh P (bar w/ burgers in Dallas) came up today at lunch that had Dale calling Luke and a friend “flat bellies” (presumably you person who was still fit) back in the early’90s. 

(There was a possibility of a physical altercation due to massive alcohol consumption on Dale Hansen’s part and maybe a game or two of pool.)

Then here is jovial Luke looking for music legends and their siblings 32+ years later. 

Just funny stuff. 

Posting this a day early because I won’t have time to do it tomorrow. This will be my driving music on my way to a deeper spot in the path of totality tomorrow. (I might be ably to stay home and get 43 seconds of totality but I don’t trust that. I’m going to drive and try to get at least 3 minutes, hopefully more.)

If you want to get right to the heart of the matter, check out how the second set ends. What a combo:

That Dark Star > Sugar Mag > Caution is so badass. The Dark Star turns very Sugar Mag-ish for quite awhile before they make the segue. And the segue is really smooth. So is the segue from Sugar Mag into Caution. Phil starts playing it during the closing climax of Sunshine Daydream and Billy picks it up then off they go. That whole suite is pretty, well, sweet. Seriously, though, the jam from Dark Star into Sugar Magnolia is special.

I left for home a little after totality, while the eclipse was still going on, and threw on disc 3. The Dark Star played while things were still a little shadowy and I was still buzzing over what I’d just seen (emotionally, not chemically), then by SSDD the eclipse was over and I was grooving in full sunlight. It was pretty sweet.

I listened to Dark Side of the Moon yesterday to get ramped up for the event. This isn’t the Dead but it’s Dead family and it fits too.

25 years ago tonight.  The Grateful Dead were really rounding into shape in the spring of 89.  They took that momentum into summer to create the month of July of 89 which, imo, rivals May of 77 in a lot of ways.  This was certainly the real beginning of their third real peak.

Hard to believe this was 41 years ago, but who really cares.  I listen to music that is 200 years old and it still absolutely moves me.  The Grateful Dead will live forever...The Music Never Stops