2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

• 4 weeks later...

Get to know the new Texas coaches on Tom Herman's revamped staff

ByJEFF HOWE 16 hours ago

The process Texas head coach Tom Herman underwent in December to overhaul the coaching staff is complete. The program announced the hiring of Mark Hagen as associate head coach for defense and defensive line coach on Feb. 7, officially putting a close to a shuffling of coaches that started Dec. 1.

“After taking time, looking back and evaluating the season in its totality, I am very disappointed in our performance in a number of areas in 2019,” Herman said in a statement when he fired two coaches and reassigned another two days at the conclusion of the regular season. “7-5 will never be our standard at Texas and I take full responsibility for any and all of our shortcomings and know we need to do a better job coaching across the board.  “With that said, I do believe the future is very bright, [and] have decided to make some changes to our staff as we head into bowl preparation and look to finish strong in the final weeks of fall recruiting.”

Texas finished the 2020 recruiting cycle with the nation’s No. 9-ranked class according to 247Sports and won the Alamo Bowl with a resounding 38-10 thumping of Utah. A few of the new hires — specifically defensive coordinator Chris Ash, cornerbacks coach Jay Valai and wide receivers coach Andre Coleman — made a difference on the recruiting trail or on the field to help wrap up an 8-5 campaign.

Along with Hagen, Ash, Valai and Coleman, Herman hired Mike Yurcich away from Ohio State to run and revamp the Texas power spread offense, Jay Boulware to be the program’s new special teams coordinator and tight ends coach and hired Coleman Hutzler as co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.  With the new-look staff set to coach their first game on the Forty Acres when No. 14-ranked Texas hosts UTEP (1-0) to open the 2020 season on Saturday (7 p.m., Longhorn Network), Horns247 takes a closer look at the coaches who be strolling the sideline (or coaching from the press box) at Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium for the first time.

MIKE YURCICH

Title: Offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Dec. 29

Hired to replace: Tim Beck (stripped of offensive coordinator title Dec. 1; contract not renewed)

Job in 2019: Ohio State passing game coordinator, quarterbacks coach

Other notable experience: Oklahoma State offensive coordinator (2013-18)

Prominent players coached: Justin Fields (Ohio State), Mason Rudolph (Oklahoma State), James Washington (Oklahoma State), Tyreek Hill (Oklahoma State)

Noteworthy: In Yurcich's six seasons at Oklahoma State, the Cowboys averaged 38 points and 478.3 yards per game and posted a 52-24 record (four 10-win seasons).

Herman on Yurcich: “I talked with a number of coaches as we tried to find the best fit at offensive coordinator, and Mike is a guy who really stood out. I’ve admired his work for many years, he’s very highly regarded and respected in the coaching world, and in talking at length with him, I was extremely impressed with what he’ll bring to our staff. He knows our conference well from his time at Oklahoma State and, including the run he had with Ohio State this year, has played a big part in some of the nation’s best offenses for the past several years. All of that said, what impresses me most about him is how he works with and develops players and the creative ways he utilizes all of his weapons on offense.”

Yurcich on Texas: “When looking at offensive coordinator positions, Texas is a no-brainer career move. I’m excited to work with coach Herman and the entire staff. Having recruited the state of Texas, and having coordinated in the Big 12, I’m excited and proud to represent UT Football as its next offensive coordinator.”

ANDRE COLEMAN

Title: Wide receivers coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Jan. 13

Hired to replace: Corby Meekins (reassigned to an administrative role Dec. 1), Drew Mehringer (fired Dec. 1)

Job in 2019: Texas analyst (regular season), interim wide receivers coach (Alamo Bowl)

Other notable experience: Kansas State offensive coordinator (2018), K-State passing game coordinator (2016-2017), K-State wide receivers coach (2013-2018)

Prominent players coached: Dalton Risner (K-State), Byron Pringle (K-State), Tyler Lockett (K-State)

Noteworthy: Coleman set eight then-Super Bowl records playing Super Bowl XXIX with the San Diego Chargers, including a 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

Herman on Coleman: “We are really fortunate and excited to be adding Andre to our full-time coaching staff. He’s a veteran coach who is highly respected, but working with him every day last year gave us a chance to personally see his passion for the game and love for the players. When he stepped in to coach our wide receivers, recruit and work more closely with our coaching staff and players for the Alamo Bowl, we all came away extremely impressed. Andre covers all the bases – he has a great offensive mind, is a tremendous and proven developer of players, outstanding recruiter and just an awesome person and addition to our staff.”

Coleman on Texas: “I’m excited to have the opportunity to stay on staff and coach at The University of Texas. “It’s been a lifelong dream of mine to coach at [a] school like Texas that’s one of the perennial powers in college sports with such a great tradition and get a chance to recruit the top talent across the nation. I’m looking forward to helping these guys both on and off the field and helping our program be something our fans are proud of. I’ve learned so much from Coach Herman over the past year. He’s one of the best football minds I’ve ever been around, and he’s one of the best motivators I’ve ever been around. I’m excited for the opportunity to continue to grow and learn from him at Texas.”

JAY BOULWARE

Title: Associate head coach for special teams and tight ends coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Jan. 18

Hired to replace: Derek Warehime (contract not renewed)

Job in 2019: Oklahoma special teams coordinator and running backs coach

Other notable experience: Oklahoma special teams coordinator (2013-2019), Oklahoma running backs coach (2015-2019), Oklahoma tight ends coach (2013-2014), Auburn special teams coordinator and tight ends coach (2009-2012), Iowa State special teams coordinator and running backs coach (2007-2008)

Prominent players coached: Austin Seibert (Oklahoma), Samaje Perine (Oklahoma), Joe Mixon (Oklahoma), Trey Millard (Oklahoma), Aaron Ripkowski (Oklahoma), Philip Lutzenkirchen (Auburn)

Noteworthy: Boulware redshirted at Texas in 1991 and saw action on the offensive line in 1992 before being forced to retire in 1993 (diagnosed with a cardiac arrhythmia), which led to a two-year stint as a student assistant coach (1994, 1995) and one season as a graduate assistant coach (1996) for the Longhorns.

Herman on Boulware: “Jay is a proven, accomplished coach and special teams coordinator who as a former Longhorn and Texas native, has deep roots in our state. He also has extensive experience coaching in the Big 12, having spent a decade in our league, and has worked with teams that have competed at the highest level, including a National Championship team at Auburn in 2010. Jay’s a coach I’ve been aware of for a long time, is very well-respected in coaching circles and certainly knows the recruiting landscape in our state very well. We all were really impressed in our visits with him, know he’ll do a great job building relationships and developing our players, and we’re extremely excited to be bringing him back home to Texas.”

CHRIS ASH

Title: Defensive coordinator

Hiring announced by Texas: Dec. 17

Hired to replace: Todd Orlando (fired Dec. 1), Craig Naivar (contract not renewed)

Job in 2019: Rutgers head coach (fired Sept. 29)

Other notable experience: Ohio State defensive coordinator (2014-2015), Arkansas defensive coordinator (2013), Wisconsin defensive coordinator (2011-2012), Wisconsin defensive backs coach (2010), Iowa State defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator (2009)

Prominent players coached: Joey Bosa (Ohio State), Doran Grant (Ohio State), Adolphus Washington (Ohio State), Vonn Bell (Ohio State), Darron Lee (Ohio State), Eli Apple (Ohio State), Chris Borland (Wisconsin)

Noteworthy: Ash coached Jay Valai at Wisconsin (2010) and coached with Herman at two different stops (Iowa State in 2009, Ohio State in 2014).

Herman on Ash: "After taking a hard look at a lot of options at defensive coordinator, Chris was the one that continued to stand out. We couldn't be more excited [about] what he'll add to our staff. I've witnessed firsthand Chris' skills as a game planner, his attention to detail and ability to develop players. He gets the best out of every one of them and has a history of building physical, fundamentally sound, winning defenses. He has done it at the highest level, is a tremendous all-around coach and an awesome person. I know he'll do great things, and our players, coaches and staff will really enjoy working with him. We look forward to his arrival in Austin, getting to work, and him and his family joining our Longhorn family."

Ash on Texas: "Number one, I'm humbled and extremely honored to be able to coach football at The University of Texas. I want to thank Tom Herman and Chris Del Conte for this opportunity and for their professionalism throughout the process. My family and I are very excited to move to Austin and become part of Longhorn Nation, and I'm ready to lead and serve our student-athletes.

"I have a great deal of respect for Coach Herman as a coach and a person. If I didn't believe in him, I wouldn't be making this move. I have complete confidence and faith and trust in his ability to lead and to coach, and I'm excited to be a part of this program."

JAY VALAI

Title: Cornerbacks coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Jan. 13

Hired to replace: Jason Washington (contract not renewed)

Job in 2019: Rutgers cornerbacks coach

Other notable experience: Kansas City Chiefs defensive quality control and assistant defensive backs coach (2018), Georgia defensive quality control coach (2016-2017)

Prominent players coached: J.R. Reed (Georgia)

Noteworthy: A four-year letter winner at Wisconsin, Valai opened a sports-performance training facility where he trained professional and amateur athletes from 2011-2016. 

Herman on Valai: “Jay is an outstanding young coach who I believe checks all the boxes when it comes to his ability to coach on the field as well as relate to, connect with and develop players. As a Texas native, he has a passion for our state, knows it well and will also be a tremendous recruiter for us. Chris Ash coached him as a player, hired him as a coach and thinks the world of him. I really enjoyed my time visiting with Jay and was really impressed by what he’ll bring to our program. We’re thrilled to add him to our staff.”

Valai on Texas: “First and foremost, this is the blessing of a lifetime. Growing up as a kid in Texas and watching Aaron Ross and Michael Huff and all these guys play, and being part of the culture that is Texas high school football, which is second to none, I’m just elated. I’m beyond proud and blessed to be able to represent all of that every minute of every day and to be joining the staff at Texas. To work with a guy like Chris Ash, who is one of the best defensive minds in football and is a tremendous human being, and with the greatness of Coach Herman who is pushing this program to the next level, it’s something I am truly blessed to be able to do.”

COLEMAN HUTZLER

Title: Co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach

Job in 2019: South Carolina special teams coordinator and linebackers coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Jan. 14

Hired to replace: Todd Orlando (fired Dec. 1)

Other notable experience: South Carolina special teams coordinator and linebackers coach (2016-2019), Boston College special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach (2015), Florida special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach (2014), New Mexico special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach (2012-2013)

Prominent players coached: Deebo Samuel (South Carolina), Dante Fowler Jr. (Florida)

Noteworthy: In his time as a collegiate coach, Hutzler has worked for Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Bob Davie and Will Muschamp.

Herman on Hutzler: "Coleman is a coach who came highly recommended by several people I have a great deal of respect for in our business. When we had a chance to sit down and talk with him, he certainly lived up to everything we had heard. He has a wealth of knowledge and experience, is high energy and has accomplished a great deal while spending much of his career coaching in big-time environments in the SEC. He'll do a terrific job developing our linebackers and helping us grow on defense. We're excited to get him on board and to get him around our team and out on the road recruiting for us."

Hutzler on Texas: "I'm so excited to join the program and work with Coach Herman and Coach Ash and the entire staff. Obviously the brand and program that is Texas Football is second to none, and I'm ready to get started. I have a ton of respect for Coach Herman and all the great things he's done. He's done a tremendous job everywhere he's been, we know a lot of the same people and just to have this opportunity to come and work for him is exciting.

"I've recruited in the state of Texas before both at Boston College and New Mexico, but I'm excited to get to the city of Austin. I've only been through as a visitor, but I've heard nothing but great things from a lot of different people, and I'm excited to get our family there and moved in and get started."

MARK HAGEN

Title: Associate head coach for defense and defensive line coach

Job in 2019: Indiana co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Feb. 7

Hired to replace: Vacant (Hagen will coach the defensive line alongside Oscar Giles)

Other notable experience: Indiana co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach (2018-2019), Indiana assistant defensive coordinator and defensive line coach (2016-2017), Texas A&M defensive tackles coach (2015), Texas A&M linebackers coach (2013-2014), Indiana special teams coordinator and defensive tackles coach (2011-2012), Purdue linebackers coach (2006-2007, 2009-2010), Purdue defensive tackles coach (2005-2005, 2008)

Prominent players coached: Robert McCray III (Indiana), Kawann Short (Purdue), Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue), Anthony Spencer (Purdue)

Herman on Hagen: “Mark came really highly recommended, is a coach Chris Ash has been very familiar with and impressed by, and is someone we all had great visits with during the interview process. He loves football and coaching, really connected with everyone and has a tremendous reputation as a coach, recruiter and as an outstanding person. He has strong ties to our state, as well, and when you look at the places he’s been, they’ve had great success developing defensive linemen and have had really productive units. We’re very excited about what he’ll bring to our staff, thrilled to have him onboard and looking forward to getting him to Austin.”

Hagen on Texas: “It’s an honor and a privilege to be able to come work with Coach Herman and the UT staff. Obviously Texas Football has great tradition and history, and I’m excited to be a part of it. When you think of college football, Texas is going to be in the conversation of top programs in the history of the game. Coach Herman has done a great job the past few years, there’s a lot of great talent on the roster, and I know he’s assembled an outstanding staff.”

Edited by LTtxfan

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 1:55 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

the great thing about the season we had is that our back ups got a shit ton of playing time, and many of those were started multiple games through the season.  our DL is fucking stacked...3 starters return plus a shit ton of great back ups.  our LB corp took a hit but we'll have 2 starters back in our new scheme, and our DBs return 3 starters plus some damn good ones with experience.  we'll have Chase and Marshall at receiver, RB will be by committee with TDP, Curry and Emery finally up to speed after having his eye surgery...he was literally legally blind in his right eye last season...and 3 return on the OL.  

Brennan won't be Burrow, but no one in the nation will be Burrow given his record setting season.  Brennan is damn good though, and i'm perfectly comfortable with him.

we could drop some 25% production and STILL be one of the top 3 teams in the land.  we've got a system in place, and we're sticking to it....and confidence in what we do.  what we did last year was paradigm shifting in terms of how offense is played at this level and if you don't believe me i'll let Aranda explain what it was like to experience it first hand and just how different it is to everything else out there...start at the 13:00 min. mark.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS83OVUzUnZDag&episode=MmIyZWRlYzEtYWQ2ZS00OTQ5LThkZWEtNzVhNmQyNzY3Mjg1&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwin0tLqgrjnAhVIeawKHSz4CWcQieUEegQIBRAE&ep=6

and until you prove you can do it, after your recent history, i'll remain sceptical of any claim of future success against LSU.

@immamac are we still looking for a new motto? I nominate all this ^; it's a bit wordy and might look crowded up top on the site, but it's got potential. *Sceptial*. lol

On 2/6/2020 at 2:03 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

in no way did i say or imply it would be replicated.

but it's fucking foolish to say that we'll be an easy out due to attrition.

we reload...not rebuild.

Or maybe just this (attributed to KE)?

On 2/6/2020 at 3:08 PM, RollLeft said:

I get the feeling you really believe this.  The spiral down for you guys over the next three years will be a fucking pleasure to watch.  Hell, i think Miss St. will give you all you can handle next year.    

Newsletter, 9.95 and all that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 1:55 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

the great thing about the season we had is that our back ups got a shit ton of playing time, and many of those were started multiple games through the season.  our DL is fucking stacked...3 starters return plus a shit ton of great back ups.  our LB corp took a hit but we'll have 2 starters back in our new scheme, and our DBs return 3 starters plus some damn good ones with experience.  we'll have Chase and Marshall at receiver, RB will be by committee with TDP, Curry and Emery finally up to speed after having his eye surgery...he was literally legally blind in his right eye last season...and 3 return on the OL.  

Brennan won't be Burrow, but no one in the nation will be Burrow given his record setting season.  Brennan is damn good though, and i'm perfectly comfortable with him.

we could drop some 25% production and STILL be one of the top 3 teams in the land.  we've got a system in place, and we're sticking to it....and confidence in what we do.  what we did last year was paradigm shifting in terms of how offense is played at this level and if you don't believe me i'll let Aranda explain what it was like to experience it first hand and just how different it is to everything else out there...start at the 13:00 min. mark.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS83OVUzUnZDag&episode=MmIyZWRlYzEtYWQ2ZS00OTQ5LThkZWEtNzVhNmQyNzY3Mjg1&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwin0tLqgrjnAhVIeawKHSz4CWcQieUEegQIBRAE&ep=6

and until you prove you can do it, after your recent history, i'll remain sceptical of any claim of future success against LSU.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:03 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

in no way did i say or imply it would be replicated.

but it's fucking foolish to say that we'll be an easy out due to attrition.

we reload...not rebuild.

I'll remain "sceptial" of any claim KE makes regarding LSU football going forward

24 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

may want to get your own house cleaned up before you criticize how messy my living room is...

You let me know where I made offseason proclamations about Texas like the ones I quoted and we'll kibitz.

Takes a lot to say something so in-the-moment-recognizably-stupid on this site that I had no choice but to catalog it for future use. But you managed to pull it off. And somehow this collapse happens under the nose of the groundbreaking weight room tech that was the secret ingredient to 16-0 or whatever your record was last year

Edited by TommyGufano