2020 ATP/WTA thread

ss13

10 hours ago, ss13 said:

Double breadstick for Rus in the black shorts tonight. Gonna be a lot of legs in her match with Elina tomorrow. 

Her thighs and white shorts two days ago were something to behold. 

Also, she is listed at 5’11” & 143 lbs on Wiki and Lauren Davis is listed as 5’2” on Wiki and no weight, but can’t be over 110 lbs and might be under 5’2” and under 105 lbs. it seemed like two entirely different categories of human beings who shouldn’t have been competing in the same competition. 

Go tennis!

4 hours ago, ss13 said:

And a breadstick to end it in 52 minutes, ouch. 

I blame the black shorts. 

The white shorts earlier in the week were much better!

(Let’s not even bring up Jacqueline Cristian’s nipple-icious top in Lyon.)

im fans of the #1s in each tournament and would love to see Svitolina & Kenin win tittles tomorrow/Sunday. 

This will be fun when a player forgets their towel on a changeover. 

Tennis players at the BNP Paribas Open, which starts next week, will have to manage their own towels on court, and ball kids will wear gloves while working matches at the combined men's and women's tournament in the Southern California desert.

The measures were announced Friday by tournament organizers, who are offering fans uneasy about the coronavirus a refund for this year's event or a credit for next year. The event runs March 11-22.

A chair will be placed at the back of the court for players to place their towels on for use during matches. Ball kids won't be allowed to touch or move player towels.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/28852132/ball-kids-wear-gloves-not-touch-towels-indian-wells

48 minutes ago, ss13 said:

How will they handle the ranking points, just pretend like everyone missed the tourney? 

No clue. It's definitely unfair for those players who had to defend a ton of points if they just don't give any players points this week. It hurts the players who did well at IW last year the most

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

yeah 24 hours ago that was still the case with Indian Wells. Between now and then If a Coronavirus patient is diagnosed in Dade county, that tournament is DOA too

I’m thinking the same. 

The Italian clay court tournaments will almost definitely be cancelled as well. Slim possibility if Palm Desert/Coachella Valley seems to get itself under control, Indian Wells could move into the hole in the schedule created by Italian cancellations, but I doubt it. 

This is just having a insanely disruptive effect on everything. 

I get criticized for saying this but the measures taken to protect people from this flu are way over the top. For an illness that only kills 2-3% of those infected, and almost 90% of the victims are over 60 years old, it's not worth killing the economy for. But it's too late.....

This. The virus has been in patients in the US since at least mid January 2020 and likely sooner. Only 22 deaths so far and those are old folks (more like over 80) and people with immune issues. Everyone needs to take a deep breath on this and take the recommended precautions.

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I get criticized for saying this but the measures taken to protect people from this flu are way over the top. For an illness that only kills 2-3% of those infected, and almost 90% of the victims are over 60 years old, it's not worth killing the economy for. But it's too late.....

Indian Wells is on the eastern side of Palm Desert. Everyone going back and forth between Palm Springs, Palm Desert, and the tennis center will be spreading the virus in no time. The percentage of olds vs the total population in that Coachella Valley, especially this time of year, is rather high.

I'm not worried about catching it at all, but I've got an 85 year-old mother who I'm helping through the aftermath of the October tornado, which ultimately led to my father passing away at the end of November due to complications from a disrupted life that found him in (un)assisted living long enough to get pneumonia that killed him. (October tornado indirectly claimed at least 1 victim.) I can't go and get the virus and kill my other parent less than half a year after my first parent died. I'm thinking that the spread to the olds is a major concern for the tennis tour(s), not just the health of their athletes, who would probably get over the illness in days to maybe a week or two.

I guess it would be seen as ageist to suggest the elderly need to stay at home during the outbreak. Because really, almost everyone under 50 without any underlying illnesses will make a full recovery from this flu even if they get it. Several years back, Swine flu spread across the US and infected way more people than Covid 19 has to this point, and the country didn’t shut down. My theory is because swine flu killed young kids at a high clip. Politicians and authority are mostly comprised of the elderly, so they’re panicking way more about this than they did Swine flu due to self interest. Anyways, I’m not going to cloak room this anymore but those are just my thoughts 

Edited by perfectchaos007

On 3/11/2020 at 2:59 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

I guess it would be seen as ageist to suggest the elderly need to stay at home during the outbreak. Because really, almost everyone under 50 without any underlying illnesses will make a full recovery from this flu even if they get it. Several years back, Swine flu spread across the US and infected way more people than Covid 19 has to this point, and the country didn’t shut down. My theory is because swine flu killed young kids at a high clip. Politicians and authority are mostly comprised of the elderly, so they’re panicking way more about this than they did Swine flu due to self interest. Anyways, I’m not going to cloak room this anymore but those are just my thoughts 

The difference is that everyone who comes in contact with this virus is catching the virus.

It was reported that out of a group of people who went skiing in the Alps, EVERYONE in the group tested positive for the virus. All 13 people. The doctor said that he'd never seen that before in a virus.

The oldest member of the group was 82 and it actually didn't do much to him, but of the other twelve, 4 or 5 had to be hospitalized. It is the stress that it will put on the healthcare system in the country that is the problem if it continues to spread exponentially. Pretty much everyone is going to have caught this thing by this time next year, and it won't be a big deal to most, but if hospitals are overflowing with patients, then anyone else who needs extreme medical attention will be fucked.

TL/DR... this is NOT the Swine Flu.

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

TRANSLATION:

"I'm going to load up on PEDs to get my 24th Grand Slam either in Paris on London... DON'T FUCKING EVEN THINK ABOUT TESTING ME!!"

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Holy shit. Roland Garros is moving to one week after the U.S. Open

Thiem should skip the US Open and focus on clay courts and then pounce on Rafa and win his first major. 

EDIT: That lines up with all but 2 or 3 days of Oktoberfest, it will also fall during much of the grape harvest, and they decided to jump before Indian Wells did. 

Edited by Napoleon

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

For those (like me) who need a tennis fix, lots of classic matches/highlights are being uploaded to YouTube:

Rafter looks a lot like Dominic Thiem in this photo. So much so that I was trying to see if I was seeing his hair correctly before I looked at the other person and the title of the video.

Slightly different games, I believe.

If massive testing can get up to speed, there might be a US Open without spectators, but I'm not really betting on anything before that.

England has done a worse job on keeping everyone in line than our national government, so they are going to be a wreck through this spring and still trying to play catch up into the summer. Just can't imagine Wimbledon happening.

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Simplest option would be a freeze... Gilbert just assumes that Djokovic was going to maintain #1 regardless of the tour freeze, and I think we all know how assumptions work in tennis.

I watched some of the Tennis Channel today and they need anything to get people not to forget the sport.

If anyone even comments or calls in to give their opinion, then Gilbert has a done a bang-up job.