Jump to content
Goo Punch

John Beilein or bust

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

I can tell you from experience that Maryland fans have a very rocky relationship with him.  He's failed to get them deep in the tournament and has underperformed their expectations basically every season.  His offense is incredibly suspect, his recruiting is very strong (Texas prototype right there). Yes, they are having a fantastic year this year, but had it played out where they were ranked 20-25th with a 1st weekend exit this season they would have called for his head in March.  Hell, if they get bounced early it'll happen regardless with how talented this team is.

shit, that sounds like good news to me. he would be a massive upgrade over Shaka, and if he isn't feeling the love in College Park then he can come on down to Austin as far as I'm concerned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure I am against hiring former A&M coaches as a matter of policy, but I'm damn sure I don't want us to hire Mark Turgeon.

Billy Clyde?  Now that might be an adventure worth signing up for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I'm gonna throw out a name that I haven't heard yet, and one that I would love to have: Mark Turgeon. Now, with that being said, I have zero clue what his situation at Maryland looks like re: his contract, his projected team for next year, etc. But he would be a huge upgrade who would bring stability to the program instantly. 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know who you guys think we're capable of getting, but Turgeon would be as good of a hire as pretty much any other realistic candidate. We aren't hiring anyone who's won a title, and we're probably not even hiring anyone who's even been to an Elite 8. Hiring a guy who has proven that he can win at a major D-1 level is as good as we can hope for, and there isn't some long and distinguished list of available candidates who fit that bill. Turgeon, Musselman, Howland, etc- this is most likely the class of coach we will be choosing from. Sucks, but it's what's out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I don't know who you guys think we're capable of getting, but Turgeon would be as good of a hire as pretty much any other realistic candidate. We aren't hiring anyone who's won a title, and we're probably not even hiring anyone who's even been to an Elite 8. Hiring a guy who has proven that he can win at a major D-1 level is as good as we can hope for, and there isn't some long and distinguished list of available candidates who fit that bill. Turgeon, Musselman, Howland, etc- this is most likely the class of coach we will be choosing from. Sucks, but it's what's out there. 

So, "bust"?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

So, "bust"?

 

that is to say that those are the types of names we will be going after assuming we don't actually get Beilein, who is by all appearances the clear best available candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it starts.  I looked at contracts yesterday and shakas contract ending in 3 years was on the low side.  His agent will be all over cdc wanting an extension as soon as the season is over.  I hope cdc has a brain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

And it starts.  I looked at contracts yesterday and shakas contract ending in 3 years was on the low side.  His agent will be all over cdc wanting an extension as soon as the season is over.  I hope cdc has a brain.  

People would burn the city to the fucking ground. He’s much more likely to get fired than an extension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 1:44 AM, hobbes2702 said:

giphy.gif

A good buddy is fairly wired into the Maryland program, and he says they’re not too happy with the guy. Didn’t say why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

A good buddy is fairly wired into the Maryland program, and he says they’re not too happy with the guy. Didn’t say why. 

What? I've said why.  He's underperformed most of his tenure, has an absolute trash offensive system, and his record in March is ATROCIOUS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

A good buddy is fairly wired into the Maryland program, and he says they’re not too happy with the guy. Didn’t say why. 

 

Don't want that Maryland/Former aggy Coach... 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teryor said:

What? I've said why.  He's underperformed most of his tenure, has an absolute trash offensive system, and his record in March is ATROCIOUS. 

Sorry I was unclear. I meant my friend didn’t detail exactly why they’re unhappy with the guy. I mean, other than the fact he’s not a great coach.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...