Time to Peace Out (Relocate Overseas)?

Ghost of LL

I haven't given serious thought to relocating, just yet.  However, I work for a European based company.  I'm on the phone w/ folks from other "western" nations on a weekly basis.  For the first time in my life, I'm absolutely embarrassed to be an American.  Other civilized countries view us as pathetic, bigoted and stupid.   And they're right.

If tRump steals/wins reelection, I will start seriously looking at options.

'

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Nah I just did a google search. Mom was born in Falkland Islands to Canadian parents stationed there in the 1930s.

So your mom lived in Canada and in the Falkland Islands?  Don't take this the wrong way, but your mom gets around.  But just with the tips.  

Just now, Lobo said:

So your mom lived in Canada and in the Falkland Islands?  Don't take this the wrong way, but your mom gets around.  But just with the tips.  

She was something before electricity.

(She actually never lived in Canada.  Grandfather was an Anglican priest and was a chaplain for UK forces.)

that would explain her acting out ;) 

Sorry, it's the first Monday of school and I need comic relief.  A few months ago, my cousin sent me a photo of his family setting off for Antarctica from the Falklands and the caption was something like "Greetings/Bon Voyage from the End of the World."  If only I had listened to them before the rest of 2020 staring happening!  His sister, another cousin of mine obviously, got wise a year ago and started putting in for paperwork for a temporary visa to Portugal where we still have distant relative son both our mother's sides.  This was way before 2020 obviously.  She now has a really nice apartment on the water in Oporto, and I'm stuck trying to figure out how to smuggle my family into an Ontario duplex for a few months this winter.  

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I haven't given serious thought to relocating, just yet.  However, I work for a European based company.  I'm on the phone w/ folks from other "western" nations on a weekly basis.  For the first time in my life, I'm absolutely embarrassed to be an American.  Other civilized countries view us as pathetic, bigoted and stupid.   And they're right.

If tRump steals/wins reelection, I will start seriously looking at options.

'

If you do, you'll be the first person to actually say it...and then do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, After irth said:

If you do, you'll be the first person to actually say it...and then do it.

I personally know a couple who made the jump to Germany 2-3 years ago, another family that just moved to Portugal 2 weeks ago, and a third couple who are active making plans for Spain.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I personally know a couple who made the jump to Germany 2-3 years ago, another family that just moved to Portugal 2 weeks ago, and a third couple who are active making plans for Spain.

Not doubting you, but to get a residence permit in Germany:

https://www.germany-visa.org/immigration-residence-permit/moving-germany-from-us/#:~:text=The%20Schengen%20Visa%20allows%20people,countries%20in%20the%20Schengen%20Zone.&text=This%20means%20that%20you%20can,will%20need%20a%20residence%20permit.

“The standard residence permit (I think it’s 90 days) is granted for these reasons and people: Working in Germany, Attending training courses in Germany, Family reunion, Former Germans who want to return to Germany”

To be eligible for a permanent residence permit, you would need to satisfy the above requirements for a period of 5 years (be a student for 5 years, work there for 5 years). As it was explained to me by a German, for an American to get a job with a German company, the company would have to argue that they could not fill the position any other way except by hiring that specific person, on the basis of his/her expertise. In other words, not easy for Americans to emigrate to Germany. But perhaps the person who explained it to me was mistaken and I’m misinterpreting what the web site I linked to says.

26 minutes ago, Bruno Sardine said:

Not doubting you, but to get a residence permit in Germany:

https://www.germany-visa.org/immigration-residence-permit/moving-germany-from-us/#:~:text=The%20Schengen%20Visa%20allows%20people,countries%20in%20the%20Schengen%20Zone.&text=This%20means%20that%20you%20can,will%20need%20a%20residence%20permit.

“The standard residence permit (I think it’s 90 days) is granted for these reasons and people: Working in Germany, Attending training courses in Germany, Family reunion, Former Germans who want to return to Germany”

To be eligible for a permanent residence permit, you would need to satisfy the above requirements for a period of 5 years (be a student for 5 years, work there for 5 years). As it was explained to me by a German, for an American to get a job with a German company, the company would have to argue that they could not fill the position any other way except by hiring that specific person, on the basis of his/her expertise. In other words, not easy for Americans to emigrate to Germany. But perhaps the person who explained it to me was mistaken and I’m misinterpreting what the web site I linked to says.

The guy's dad was German and had immigrated to the US, possibly retaining his citizenship, and therefore easing my acquaintance's ability to move with his wife. His mom was/is American, so I'm not sure if he grew up with dual citizenship even though he was raised in the US.