Rickie Lee Jones

Litig8r

I just finished reading “Last Chance Texaco”.  I remember hearing Chuck E’s in love on the radio.  It was overplayed but there was something deeper than just having a good hook.  On the recommendation of a friend, I bought the album and was amazed.  I followed her music from then on but I never looked into her other than her lyrics which I often “misheard”.  The book gives a great account of her life and struggles.  You can tell what a strong person she is by following her and her family’s history.  It is a miracle she lived to be 18 much less have a recording career.  I didn’t know she and Tom Waits were a thing and damn sure didn’t know she and Dr. John were also lovers.  I always thought the cover on her first album was some kind of painting or cartoon.  It is actually a photo taken at the perfect time in the perfect light.  I didn’t know what the line "How come he don't come and P.L.P. with me down at the meter no more?" meant.  PLP means public leaning post where two people lean back to back against each other when there is nothing else to lean on.  Deeper meaning, someone you can count on.  Anyway, if you like RLJ, check it out. 

81exjIVKgLL._SL1425_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

She brushed up against the Grateful Dead family in this duet with the late Rob Wasserman, former bassist in a couple of Bob Weir’s solo projects. (This is an awesome album, btw. I can’t recommend it highly enough. There’s a lot of diversity and every track is excellent.)

• Hook 'Em 1

I still giggle that she and Tom Waits were together for so long.  That debut album is just fantastic.  I need to pick up that book.  I LOVE the groove of "Young Blood" from that album.

Her 1984 album, Magazine, is one of my favorites.  They sound, the layering, the depth, the writing, the performance.....ALL top notch.   "Juke Box Fury" is a great example.

And @WhatTheBuck.  I bought that Wasserman album the day it came out.  That Jennifer Warnes duet kills me every time I hear it.  I need to pull that out and listen to it again.  Thanks for the reminder.  

And speaking of her, Bruce Robison just did a FANTASTIC interview with Roscoe Beck about his work with Leonard Cohen and later with Jennifer on "Famous Blue Raincoat", still the best sounding album I've ever heard.  He did it as part of his "The Next Waltz" project.  If it isn't there, you can grab it from the patreon page.  Trust me, it is work whatever you want to pay to listen to it.  

• Like 1