2018 Atlanta Braves Thread

ATLLonghorn

Another rookie with a nice debut. Bryce Wilson, a 2nd tier prospect (but probably because he’s only 6’1” and built like a linebacker), won his debut and looked the part. Mid-90s with good control...although didn’t have the best last night. 

Him and Touki flourishing into good starters would just be an added bonus on top of Soroka, Wright and Anderson who are supposed to be better. 

Guess we’ll have plenty of assets during the Winter Meetings to make a serious run next year. 

• Like 1

Little things good and bad add over the course of the year and I think that while it's not really getting attention now getting two eight inning starts out of Gausman during this crazy gauntlet stretch they've been on allowing the important bullpen guys a day off will end up paying off huge the last few weeks of the season.

12 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Keith Law said that trade would end up being the best one of the deadline. And he fucking HATES any trades with prospects going the other way. 

I wouldn’t say we gave up much in the way of “prospects” for him.  We didn’t even have to dip into any of our top-15 prospects to get him.  

Something that I didn't notice until I talked to a co-worker from Philly the other day, I knew we played 7 of our last 10 against the Phillies, but I didn't know the Phillies had to go to Coors for a four gamer in between while we get the Mets. That's such a huge advantage for us. As long as we don't shit the bed in our seven game stretch against Boston and at Arizona for the first time I actually like our chances to win the division.

I wish it was the Nats chasing us and shitting the bed constantly because I have nothing against the Phillies, but they're hanging by a thread right now. 

The Braves are 42-21 against the NL East this season. The Phillies are 25-28. The Phillies have an advantage of having more games with the Marlins and Mets left but that hasn't worked out well for them so far.

Newcomb in his three starts against teams with winning records since nearly no-hitting the Dodgers: 13.1 innings, 18 earned runs allowed. There were solid starts against the Marlins and Nats mixed in there, but his inconsistency presents a problem for the team going forward. He's clearly capable of being dominant, but not nearly consistent enough to rely on. When the roster expands they're going to need a backup starter ready to go when he pitches whether it's Touki, Wilson or someone else. 

51 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Newcomb in his three starts against teams with winning records since nearly no-hitting the Dodgers: 13.1 innings, 18 earned runs allowed. There were solid starts against the Marlins and Nats mixed in there, but his inconsistency presents a problem for the team going forward. He's clearly capable of being dominant, but not nearly consistent enough to rely on. When the roster expands they're going to need a backup starter ready to go when he pitches whether it's Touki, Wilson or someone else. 

Local Atlanta radio guys were screaming for Touki Toussaint to make a few spot starts while Newcomb goes on the DL for a bit.

Before the 7 in 11 days with the Phillies to end the season we have Boston, Arizona, SF, Washington, St Louis. The Phillies have the Marlins, Mets, Nationals, Marlins again and Mets again. That's a significant advantage for them in theory, but they're just .500 against those teams. If they stay consistent there and we can tread water with our brutal stretch the final 11 days of the season favor the Braves heavily.

Also, Toussaint starts tomorrow so we get Touki vs Mookie and dammit I love a good rhyme.

21 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Score today made the game look worse than it was. Braves had a million scoring opportunities and couldn't deliver, but the Phillies lost to the Marlins so it was a wash.

Yup, Touki hadn’t given up a hit, then they popped him for sometime like 3-4 consecutive doubles. His split/change is nasty. 

17 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Yup, Touki hadn’t given up a hit, then they popped him for sometime like 3-4 consecutive doubles. His split/change is nasty. 

It's weird that with a young pitcher his secondary stuff is better than his fastball by a wide mile but that's the scouting report on Touki. He also only started pitching like 6 years ago or something like that so for him to get a call up to the majors already is indicative of his raw potential. Hopefully he can reach his ceiling because it is quite high.

The bright spot is the only way they're getting into the playoffs is to win the division which is good to avoid the Wild Card game (fuck the infield fly rule forever). 

The future is bright if the young pitchers can pitch at the major league level. I'm about done with Newcomb. Given the relative youth of the top pitching prospects in the organization I'm willing to give him part of 2019 to prove he can be consistent, but we're no longer dealing with a limited sample size. He has yet to prove he can throw strikes consistently at the ML level. With Soroka, Wright and Touki breathing down his neck for a spot (and Allard and Gohara too even though nobody knows what the hell is up with them right now) the clock is ticking on him. Since the start of July he's been non-competitive against good teams save for the near no-hitter.