Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

13 minutes ago, Druggist said:

I am writing up my last paper for the class I am taking and listening to Holly Bowling’s piano versions of Dead and Phish songs.  Here is an Eyes of the World where she plays the end jam of the 6/18/74 version. 
Jerry with her right hand, Phil with her left.  Wow!

HOLY shit...that was fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

HOLY shit...that was fantastic. 

I know, right?

Right now I am watching a recording of a stream she did in the mountains in Colorado somewhere (Hardscrabble Mountain).  Weather Report Suite is up.  So pretty.  She has a ton of stuff on Spotify.  Since I am a huge Phish fan too, her style of alternating songs between the two bands works great for me.

I have a bunch of busy work to do this morning so I’m listening to a show in the background. One thing I really like about the 70’s era GD is all the “rock and roll” songs they played. I love “Around and Around, Promised Land,  Beat it on Down the Line, Big River”, etc. I have to admit that I like those much better than the Dylan songs they were playing in the late 80’s. Outside of Watchtower, Masterpiece, and Heaven’s Door, I never really liked the Dylan songs that much.

• Hook 'Em 1

Somebody please invent an accurate closed-captioning for Zoom meetings where you don't have to speak or pay that close of attention.  I'm really digging this Winterland show, but have to keep pausing it to hear what McClelland is saying.  Anyway, digging this "Eyes of the World", vocal track on the soundboard is for shit but otherwise jam is tight and all instrument/percussion tracks sound gorgeous.  

I'm continuing my spring/summer 77 binge with this one tonight. The set list is outstanding.

~Set I~ Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo Jack Straw They Love Each Other Mexicali Blues Peggy-O Cassidy Loser Lazy Lightning Supplication Brown-Eyed Women Promised Land ~

Set II~ Scarlet Begonias Fire on the Mountain Estimated Prophet He's Gone Drums The Other One Wharf Rat The Other One The Wheel Around and Around ~Encore~ Johnny B. Goode

Fantastic start to the second set.  Soundboard and jam quality.  Starts to drop off (OF FUCKING COURSE) during Estimated Prophet.  Enjoying it while kids are falling asleep and I'm slow cooking some dinner.  Queueing up "The Wheel" right now.  Vocals are solid, seems a little clunky otherwise, but this is a good show overall that I was not familiar with.  

The show had been good not great up to The Other One>Wharf Rat>Other One>The Wheel.  Goddamn that jam between The Other One and into Wharf Rat...you knew it was coming and I swear I heard them start to play it 5 times but it just kept going...and then when it finally gets there??  Goddamn. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 1:24 PM, Hate said:

Spotify has a chronological 364 hour Grateful Dead playlist.

9bcbe786d0a4b0cd48a7fc1f24e07d3e.png

Nice find.  There is also a playlist with the complete Road Trips series (minus the bonus discs).  It is weird, since none of those show up amongst the albums.  Merry Christmas!!!

Merry Christmas to my fellow Deadheads.  I'm finally ready to hang by myself after doing family stuff all day.  It was a great day and I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Now it is time to get a little weird with some bourbon, one hits, and the greatest band in the history of the world!

I have to admit that for years I have liked, not loved, Fire on the Mountain.  I've always really liked Scarlet Begonias, but FOTM was a song that I would listen to in the background.  I was listening to 5/8/77 the other night and really listened to the jam between Scarlet and Fire and everything changed.  I've listened to that jams many times over the last several days and it's one of my all time favorites.  It's just so goddamn smooth.  Check it out if you get some time tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I was listening to Scarlet Begonias.  I thought you told us to do that.  

I'm kinda like you with regard to "Fire on the Mountain."  I'll give it credit though, it was the first long-jam recording I ever got as a blossoming deadhead back in my early teens.  It never completely did it for me, but it turned me on to this other world of Dead music.  Some shows, it really does pair well with "Scarlet Begonias", other times it falls flat for me.  It's also a really interesting track in evaluating different eras of Dead singers/keyboard players.  

But yeah...my Mount Rushmore of Grateful Dead songs remains singularly unchanged for the last ~15 years (in no particular order)...Scarlet Begonias, Estimated Prophet, Standing on the Moon, and The Wheel (I know it's a JGB song, FIGHT ME!).  

I need to queue up a few songs from one show for New Year's Eve.  I don't have it in me to listen to a whole show since I don't smoke.

Tonight is 4/22/78 from The Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee.  It's a pretty solid show so far.  I haven't listened to many shows the last few days.  I was off basically from the 18th to the 4th and I pretty much ended every night with bourbon and the Grateful Dead.  I've made myself give my liver a few days to recuperate from the break.  So tonight's show is a sober one, but it's a pretty good one.

Never heard it before, but firing up 30 March 1995 at the Omni in Atlanta, GA.  Was played one week before the last full Grateful Dead show I ever saw while I was going to school in Florida (7 April 1995).  Very curious about how second set is gonna go when it gets to:  Samba in the Rain, He's Gone, That Would be Something, then Drums/Space rolling out into Visions of Johana.  Have no idea, never seen anything like that now that I'm typing it out.  Much of the other show looks familiar, so just a question on how the Omni board holds up after 25 years.  Have a feeling lots of Deadheads in Atlanta are partying tonight.  I won't be quite in synch with 'em, but having a few cocktails.  

^

Pos rep. for reminding me of that version of Reuben & Cherise.  Every couple years I search high and low for a quality version of JGB doing that.  It's harder than you'd think but this is a great one.

Ive never been much of a Dylan fan but after listening to Garcia Dylan I can understand the words.

Positively 4th Street is in heavy rotation. I just think about all the SOBs that are still in my life and the final verse about how you wish that SOB knew how much it sucked to be around them....just gold

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

I've never been a Dy,an fan either.  There are only a few Dylan songs that the GD did that I liked.  Heaven's Door, Watchtower, and Masterpiece are really the only ones I like.  I never liked Desolation Row, Queen Jane, or Memphis Blues.  If I had heard any of those it would have been my chance to go get a beer or take a leak. 

• Like 1

I thought I had already heard this show, but I realized it was the show from the day before that I had listened to. Tonight is 6/7/77 from The Winterland Ballroom.  I have no early morning meetings tomorrow so I am making this one of my drinking nights.  I have a project going on Saturday night so I won't be able to drink then.  The set list looks pretty damn good.

Tonight is just a “shuffle” night. I’m all over the map. I had to host a working meeting a while ago, so I’m celebrating its success with a couple of drinks and some of the greatest goddamn band that ever was. Right now it’s St Stephen from the Palladium in New York on 4/30/77. Earlier it was my favorite Other One>Wharf Rat from 7/7/89 and the Europe 72 version of He’s Gone. In hopes for some snow tomorrow, I did a quick 7/4/89 Cold Rain & Snow.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:47 PM, Hate said:

I've never been a Dy,an fan either.  There are only a few Dylan songs that the GD did that I liked.  Heaven's Door, Watchtower, and Masterpiece are really the only ones I like.  I never liked Desolation Row, Queen Jane, or Memphis Blues.  If I had heard any of those it would have been my chance to go get a beer or take a leak. 

Philistine.

Yeah, I know.  What can I say?  I prefer the old blues songs they played much more often in the 70's.  Round and Round, Big River, Big Boss Man,  Promised Land, Don't Ease Me In, and It's All Over Now are all songs I would want to hear before the other Dylan songs I mentioned. 

Anyway, I'm searching for a show tonight.  I may end up continuing my 77 Spring fling.  I might just listen to "Without A Net" from start to finish as I was thinking about that earlier.  I may listen to one of my shows too. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has one. 

On 1/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, Hate said:

I settled on 3/15/90 from Landover, Maryland the Cap Center.  "Walkin Blues " and "Althea" are both from "Without A Net". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3gaA4r_07Q&t=2016s

That is a great show.  I bought the Terrapin limited cds when they came out so it is one of the shows I have been listening to the longest.  
As for Dylan tunes, I really like the Tom Thumb’s on this.  Their covers are hit and miss for me.  Of the one’s bob does, I like Queen Jane and love Masterpiece, but usually skip the rest.  I don’t think there is a Jerry Dylan cover that I don’t enjoy (Quinn, Baby Blue, I takes a lot to laugh, tangled up in blue).  Lately I have really gotten into the Visions of Johanna from the 30 Trips release.  It is from 95, sounds like the Dead I saw live, and is tight as hell.  Jerry’s voice even sounds pretty good.  I think I read somewhere that Dylan was a fan of Jerry’s interpretations of his songs.

• Like 1

The 88-90 era is probably my favorite, but the Dylan and Brent songs appear way too much for me.  I'm not a fan of any Brent songs other than the jam in Blow Away.  I love the the sound they had and Brent was on fire over those years though.  I end up skipping my way through a lot of shows from that era.  

The 70's era (both early and late) are easy to listen to entire shows except for Lazy Lightning>Supplication.  I don't know anyone who likes those. 

You’re out of your mind if you don’t like Queen Jane’s. Let’s not even waste out time taking about Watchtower. I question your taste if you have a problem with one of the greatest American bands ever performing the works of one of the greatest American songwriters ever.

Yawn...I’d rather hear Don’t Ease Me In, Big River, Round and Round etc.

Edit: and I mentioned that I do love Watchtower, Masterpiece, and Heaven’s Door. I even enjoy Tom Thumb Blues...the rest I could do without.

22 hours ago, alincoln said:

I love Dylan, I love the Dead, I love JGB playing Dylan but I rarely enjoy the Dead playing Dylan.  I was likely scarred by the godawful Dylan and the Dead album and all the Dylan songs they played in the late 80s on tapes my buddies had.

dead fans seem to be the only people who hate that album. i never gave it a listen based on all the badmouthing by dead fans...picked it up on vinyl a few years ago for cheap and it's actually not bad at all. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 5:48 PM, Hate said:

I have to admit that for years I have liked, not loved, Fire on the Mountain.  I've always really liked Scarlet Begonias, but FOTM was a song that I would listen to in the background.  I was listening to 5/8/77 the other night and really listened to the jam between Scarlet and Fire and everything changed.  I've listened to that jams many times over the last several days and it's one of my all time favorites.  It's just so goddamn smooth.  Check it out if you get some time tonight. 

Man I fucking love Scarlet Fire, everything about it but especially the jam into Fire

The May '77 run of shows is so epic. Everyone knows about the 5/8/77 show, I've been listening to 5/22/77 (Dick's Picks 3) this afternoon (again) and it's easily as good. The entire show is fire - Sugaree, Help>Slip>Frank, and then the finish is just ridiculous - Estimated Prophet>Eyes>Wharf Rat>Terrapin Station>Morning Dew.

Jerry was out of his mind this night

• Hook 'Em 1

I was looking for a show tonight and I think you just posted it.  I'm going to take a look.  I was going to listen to one of my favorites until I found something.  4/30/77 from the Palladium in New York.  It an outstanding show if you haven't heard it.