Excel Formula Help

I'm currently adding up flight times in my logbook and need help with a certain formula.  One of my columns denotes what  I was coded as on a certain flight.  The choices are UP, FP, MP, IP, and XP.  How can I find out how many total times I was listed as an IP?  The column in question is "E".  The first cell with data is "E3" and the last is "E1125".  So of those 1122 total entries, how many times was I coded as an IP?

I'm currently adding up flight times in my logbook and need help with a certain formula.  One of my columns denotes what  I was coded as on a certain flight.  The choices are UP, FP, MP, IP, and XP.  How can I find out how many total times I was listed as an IP?  The column in question is "E".  The first cell with data is "E3" and the last is "E1125".  So of those 1122 total entries, how many times was I coded as an IP?
A count if formula should do it. In the cell you want that count, =COUNTIF(E3:E1125,"ip")
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hornbri said:

Or even easier - just add a filter to the header line, and filter to just the code you want to see and look at total results. 

This is what I ended up doing.

Thanks for the help fellas.