Sonny Jurgensen

VirginiaLonghorn

18 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I was not a Redskins fan, but Sonny and Sam Huff were some BMF's.  Sam Huff was just a notch below Tommy Nobis and Dick Butkus.  

Sonny and Sam were the last of the old breed NFL and a great radio team.

It was evident Sam detested the changes in the game that made it soft by his standards. Sonny needled him constantly whenever an “unnecessary” unnecessary roughness penalty was called on a hard tackle. 

The Violent World of Sam Huff ... as you said ... a Bad Man. 

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
  • Like 1

Yeah growing up he was da man.  Last of the old school.  Would go out drinking and chasing skirt Saturday night, come in hung over some games and play like a fuckin' god.  He even did this in a game:

Last of the great pot-bellied QB's?
t_39971.jpg

Didn't matter.  God his throwing arm and motion were among the best in NFL history.  George Allen fucked him over, but he ended up getting some karma back by coming off the bench after Allen began to start favored Kilmer, and did a 2-minute drive for the ages as Washington beat Philly (any Redskin fan remembers that awesome game and drive).

Anyway, good to see he's still alive and kicking.  His radio broadcasts were great, he wasn't afraid to call a pussy a pussy and a good player a good player.  

Another era going into the mists of time...

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah growing up he was da man.  Last of the old school.  Would go out drinking and chasing skirt Saturday night, come in hung over some games and play like a fuckin' god.  He even did this in a game:

t_39971.jpg

"I don't throw with my stomach."--SonnyMan.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

t_39971.jpg

Didn't matter.  God his throwing arm and motion were among the best in NFL history.  George Allen fucked him over, but he ended up getting some karma back by coming off the bench after Allen began to start favored Kilmer, and did a 2-minute drive for the ages as Washington beat Philly (any Redskin fan remembers that awesome game and drive).

Anyway, good to see he's still alive and kicking.  His radio broadcasts were great, he wasn't afraid to call a pussy a pussy and a good player a good player.  

Another era going into the mists of time...

In 1971, I won a raffle for two Skins season tickets. Pregame warmups were a treat watching Sonny throw perfect balls all over the field ... which always included several behind-his-back tosses right on target and in stride.

Miami would have never achieved their perfect season had Sonny not been sidelined for SB VII with a torn Achilles tendon.  To this day, I have no doubt. 

43 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

In 1971, I won a raffle for two Skins season tickets. Pregame warmups were a treat watching Sonny throw perfect balls all over the field ... which always included several behind-his-back tosses right on target and in stride.

Miami would have never achieved their perfect season had Sonny not been sidelined for SB VII with a torn Achilles tendon.  To this day, I have no doubt. 

We all need our little fantasies.....

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Absolutely fucking right.  Not even arguable.  Even more than "what if Colt hadn't gotten his shoulder popped", and that's a metaphysical certitude.

I have no doubt that the Redskins gave up 2 Super Bowl wins with Sonny due to Allen's dislike of him and bringing in Kilmer.  None whatsoever.