Longhorn logo drama

Majorcholas

On 8/13/2019 at 10:32 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Try drawing a longhorn silhouette that doesn’t “too closely resemble” a silhouette  already in use. I doubt many besides UT’s are trademarked, but nevertheless, there aren’t unlimited possibilities without adding goofy eyes or nostrils.

Would adding an asterisk with a disclaimer acknowledging that the logo is trademarked by The University of Texas work?  That would look good on a helmet.

Trademark laws should allow the owner of a trademark to share that trademark with whomever they please. After all, they own it. 

imgur
/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png" />

Spoiler

On 8/13/2019 at 6:29 AM, Bullneck said:

Bush league.  

Corporate interests putting themselves ahead of kids/fun/sport.  Miami did this to Umatilla HS in Florida a few years ago for using their "U" logo.

Abernathy, TX was told this offseason to stop using the Arizona "A"

As other posters have pointed out, a trademark owner has to take reasonable action to protect against unauthorized use or the exclusive right to use may be lost.  I don't think any of us care that some random high school chooses to use the most recognizable logo in collegiate athletics - in fact it should be considered a compliment.  But most of us would care if the university lost the right to exclusive use, and all sorts of cheap and tawdry merchandise could legally be sold with the logo.  

Edit:  Huckleberry beat me to it.  

But cheap and tawdry is right in my wheelhouse.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

With the R, which isn't very distinctive, Rutgers would probably have a hard time wining against Ruston HS unless Ruston deliberately picked the Rutgers R.  But, of course, it's the litigation not the outcome.  And by gradually eliminating block Rs from high schools and other sports entities, Rutgers might actually achieve a strong trademark.  Right now, it's shit. though.

Ruston HS may have poached the Rutgers logo, but they can probably find a comparable bold font and claim it as their inspiration. Wisconsin's "Motion W", on the other hand, is truly unique. 

#11 Wisconsin Badgers | The Grit Tree

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Anyone?

I've been wondering that for years.

Funnily enough the original Bearcats (Cincinnati) got the name because of a fullback named Baehr: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Bearcats

And SHSU didnt really name themselves after anything specific at all - they just didn't want to be the Normals anymore: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Bearkat

• Like 1