Coaching Hire Crap Shoot

RomaVicta

I'm watching Harbaugh's Wolverines get stomped by Wisconsin. We would have been so happy to get him the year before Michigan did.

Rich Rod and Sumlin were also hot items when they were hired. We probably would have been okay giving them a shot. Strong was considered by many, including me, to be a great prospect (I know there were instant objections around here that were borne out).

Frankly, Jimbo could have been a great hire for the Aggies. There's a remote possibility that he will still be one. Very remote.

Had Harbaugh come here, would his results have been the same or would the talent of Texas have made him a good match here?

Who were some of the other guys who were touted as more than they were in recent years? I feel like Orlando won't be a good head coach if he gets a shot. No ill wishes, he just seems like he's more suited to running a unit than an entire enterprise.

I'm just struck by how coaching hires are like lottery tickets. 

Edited by RomaVicta

59 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Only a few teams can be elite and it’s based on monopolizing the player talent.  Harbaugh, or any winning coach, being seen as the wrong side of a crap shoot is as much a function of limited player talent resources as it is of the randomness of the hiring process.  

I couldn’t disagree with you more. There is way too much elite talent in Texas, Florida, and California alone for that to be a valid reason. It’s all about developing the players you have. We saw it here with Mack late in his tenure. You can have all the talent in the world, but if they don’t work hard and they come in feeling entitled, they’re going to be a lost cause.