SMU 21 - Navy 10 2nd half - CBSSN

ztejas

Disappointment surrounds SMU’s loss to Navy as Mustangs miss out on AAC title contention

SMU was outscored 25-7 in the second half.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — SMU had been five-of-five on fourth downs in its last game. It had made its only fourth-down attempt of this game. In a game against Tulsa, it needed six straight fourth-down conversions to complete a magical comeback.

This time, with the season on the line, SMU needed to convert on a fourth-and-4 to James Proche in the end zone. This one, he couldn’t catch. And, as a result, SMU lost 35-28 to Navy. The loss eliminated the Mustangs from AAC title contention.

“I was not happy with the way we coached or played,” coach Sonny Dykes said. “I’m very disappointed. If you want to have a great season, if you want to make a run, then you’ve got to do a better job than we did.”

• Specifically, Dykes was frustrated with the offense. He felt SMU didn’t take advantage of specific matchups. On that final offensive drive, Dykes was critical of the play calling, noting he was unhappy to see two fade passes in a row, a play that is low percentage in nature.
  • Dykes was also critical of the officiating. He said the final throw to Proche was a “pretty clear” pass interference on Navy. On the game’s final meaningful snap, SMU’s defense was called for an offside penalty. Instead of SMU having a chance to get the ball back with a minute left, the game was effectively over.  “I thought the way the game ended [with the offside penalty] was bush league,” Dykes said. “I thought that was a bush league deal. ... It’s too bad [the referees] didn’t give our players a chance to finish the game. ... The officials took the game away from the players.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2019/11/24/smu-eliminated-from-aac-title-contention-after-comeback-effort-falls-short-vs-navy/