Tottenham 2020-21: To Dare Is To Park

DeepEastTexas

35 minutes ago, midtown said:

How can we not finish these freaking games.  Esp vs lower table clubs

Too defensive of a lineup (Sissoko at RW, really?). Sat back the whole second half on a one goal lead. Its the same dumbass story against bad teams. Also, Sissoko is Jose's Cade Brewer.

48 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It's not that. See what Schulz said. We are basically playing the Tom Herman strategy, take the lead and try to hold a 1 goal lead. That is extremely hard in the EPL and continues to blow up in our faces.

that was sort of my point. playing a defensive/counter strategy in today's premier league is playing to not lose. 

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

It's not that. See what Schulz said. We are basically playing the Tom Herman strategy, take the lead and try to hold a 1 goal lead. That is extremely hard in the EPL and continues to blow up in our faces.

47 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

that was sort of my point. playing a defensive/counter strategy in today's premier league is playing to not lose. 

Additionally, the margin for error in those matches where a team employs that strategy, is incredibly fine.  It's tough to switch on and off the attacking style, and when something goes wrong late in the match (e.g. Fulham/West Ham/Crystal Palace/Wolves), you might not have a lot of time to adjust back to an all out attack to win the match.  Take into consideration rule changes, most notably VAR, and shit can go wrong quickly and further reduce the margin of error.  All it takes is one reviewed call for handball (Dier) to really ruin your day.

1 hour ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Additionally, the margin for error in those matches where a team employs that strategy, is incredibly fine.  It's tough to switch on and off the attacking style, and when something goes wrong late in the match (e.g. Fulham/West Ham/Crystal Palace/Wolves), you might not have a lot of time to adjust back to an all out attack to win the match.  Take into consideration rule changes, most notably VAR, and shit can go wrong quickly and further reduce the margin of error.  All it takes is one reviewed call for handball (Dier) to really ruin your day.

it would be one thing if we began with an attacking style and switched it off, but we don't. we always set up in a defensive formation (even when we have attacking players throughout the team sheet), are content to sit back and concede possession and hit teams on the counter. when this is successful it compounds the problem because instead of pushing for another goal we sit deeper and more compact while other teams commit more players to the attack. this puts more pressure on mediocre defenders who make more mistakes and are even less able to play the ball through accurately to our attacking players waiting to counter. i lost count of the number of times yesterday that dier, sanchez, reguilon or aurier dealt with the initial threat but gave possession right back in dangerous areas because there was no outlet between the back line and the forwards. 

this is mou being mou. it was the concern when he was announced as manager and will continue to be as long as he is manager because he has never shown a willingness to adapt to the modern game. if/when he starts to ratchet up his public criticisms of the players not executing his system vs. changing tactics you'll have a full bingo card and it'll be time for us to start waiting around for levy to make a change...which will also take too long. there is too much quality in this squad overall now to blame the player quality for the lack of results.

Edited by mr. littlejeans
grammar is hard.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mr. littlejeans said:

i lost count of the number of times yesterday that dier, sanchez, reguilon or aurier dealt with the initial threat but gave possession right back in dangerous areas because there was no outlet between the back line and the forwards. 

this is mou being mou. it was the concern when he was announced as manager and will continue to be as long as he is manager because he has never shown a willingness to adapt to the modern game. if/when he starts to ratchet up his public criticisms of the players not executing his system vs. changing tactics you'll have a full bingo card and it'll be time for us to start waiting around for levy to make a change...which will also take too long. there is too much quality in this squad overall now to blame the player quality for the lack of results.

Agree.  Yesterday's equalizer fits with the bolded portion of your post.

Also, I'd argue that we're almost there with respect to your last paragraph.  JM told the players before the Marine match that if they lost, it was their fault and not his.  He came out after the Fulham match and pretty much laid the blame at the players' feet.  He has 18 months left on his contract, if I understand correctly, which will put him squarely in the Jose year 3 disaster phase of his managing life cycle.  

3 hours ago, mr. littlejeans said:

i'd argue that dier is jose's cade brewer.

All Sissoko brings is his athleticism and work rate to help stifle counters. He's a shitty passer and is completely worthless progressing the ball. I get that Jose is playing him at RW to cover defensively for Aurier, but playing him along with Winks adds an awful lot of worthlessness against a bad Fulham team.