WVU @ OKSTATE - 2:30 ABC

'stache

40 minutes ago, Homercles said:

And that sucked.  Take the wind out of the sails as Gundy will go conservative before the half.  

Normally, he'd just kneel 3 times after fielding the punt with a minute to go in the half.  I give him credit for actually running a 2 min offense and scoring some points.  It was conservative, but those 3 points could be big.

Edited by Monster

We were taking family photos today, at the base of the tower on the UT campus of all places...so I really didn’t get to keep track of the game.  However I damn sure knew when Texas scores the 2pt to tie because everyone around us started shouting.   That was cool.  

Shane looks the part but it seems the playbook is pretty simple.  Honestly glad I didn’t watch this game because reading the after action stuff seems like it was a lot of luck between receivers fumbles, penalties and huge runs at opportune times.  

On 9/26/2020 at 8:48 PM, Homercles said:

We were taking family photos today, at the base of the tower on the UT campus of all places...so I really didn’t get to keep track of the game.  However I damn sure knew when Texas scores the 2pt to tie because everyone around us started shouting.   That was cool.  

Shane looks the part but it seems the playbook is pretty simple.  Honestly glad I didn’t watch this game because reading the after action stuff seems like it was a lot of luck between receivers fumbles, penalties and huge runs at opportune times.  

I mean, I'm not sure if I'd call it luck.  You tend to make your own "luck" when you play well, and our defense was the best unit on the field on Saturday and it wasn't particularly close.  The strip-sack/TD, for example, wasn't luck... that was Trace Ford being a beast and making a play. The game got close, but because of how the defense was playing it never really felt in doubt... unlike the Tulsa game where (before Illingworth came in) it didn't seem certain we could even score.

The sample size is still pretty small, but it appears that our defense might be quite good. Both Tulsa and WVU will score points on people this year... and our defense completely and utterly shut both of them down.

Illingworth certainly does look like the real deal.  He has the physical tools and his poise is impressive, but it is quite clear that the playbook has been extremely simplified for him. 

I can't believe I'm sitting here saying this, but it seems like if we had a halfway decent OFFENSE we would be a serious challenger for the Big 12 title...

7 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I mean, I'm not sure if I'd call it luck.  You tend to make your own "luck" when you play well, and our defense was the best unit on the field on Saturday and it wasn't particularly close.  The strip-sack/TD, for example, wasn't luck... that was Trace Ford being a beast and making a play. The game got close, but because of how the defense was playing it never really felt in doubt... unlike the Tulsa game where (before Illingworth came in) it didn't seem certain we could even score.

The sample size is still pretty small, but it appears that our defense might be quite good. Both Tulsa and WVU will score points on people this year... and our defense completely and utterly shut both of them down.

Illingworth certainly does look like the real deal.  He has the physical tools and his poise is impressive, but it is quite clear that the playbook has been extremely simplified for him. 

I can't believe I'm sitting here saying this, but it seems like if we had a halfway decent OFFENSE we would be a serious challenger for the Big 12 title...

The offensive line lost two starters in week one and are still scrambling to figure out that situation. Illingworth had two practices before the Tulsa game so is way behind in practice reps, which he should be able to catch up in the coming weeks. Chubba is in some sort of slump which I don't think will last too much longer, he is just way too talented. Our backup QB and backup RB have both proven capable but it will take some adjustment to change from what you expected week 1. I'm not too worried about the offense, it will get things rolling soon enough. My biggest fear is that in typical OSU fashion, Sanders will come back too soon, his weaknesses (holding the ball too long and turnovers)will be amplified but Gundy will refuse to pull the trigger on Illingsworth who I think is going to be a stud. The offense will need to step up soon because as good as our defense has played they will have bad games in this conference.

51 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The offensive line lost two starters in week one and are still scrambling to figure out that situation. Illingworth had two practices before the Tulsa game so is way behind in practice reps, which he should be able to catch up in the coming weeks. Chubba is in some sort of slump which I don't think will last too much longer, he is just way too talented. Our backup QB and backup RB have both proven capable but it will take some adjustment to change from what you expected week 1. I'm not too worried about the offense, it will get things rolling soon enough. My biggest fear is that in typical OSU fashion, Sanders will come back too soon, his weaknesses (holding the ball too long and turnovers)will be amplified but Gundy will refuse to pull the trigger on Illingsworth who I think is going to be a stud. The offense will need to step up soon because as good as our defense has played they will have bad games in this conference.

Y’all are pretty fortunate to open with WVU and Kansas while he’s hurt. Sanders should get at least two more weeks of rest before he needs to play. Has there been any update on his injury? 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Y’all are pretty fortunate to open with WVU and Kansas while he’s hurt. Sanders should get at least two more weeks of rest before he needs to play. Has there been any update on his injury? 

He suited up and they said he "could" have played, but it sounds like a Gundyism. High ankles don't heal in a week. My guess is Shane plays against KU and Sanders comes back after the bye.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He suited up and they said he "could" have played, but it sounds like a Gundyism. High ankles don't heal in a week. My guess is Shane plays against KU and Sanders comes back after the bye.

Today Gundy said that Sanders would get the "majority of the snaps" by Wednesday of this week, so it sounds like he *may* be playing Saturday...?  But yeah who the hell knows at this point.