Help with DLP TV

I have an old Samsung DLP TV. Ex replaced the bulb like 8 years ago but I don't remember why. It's worked great but now the color is off. Everything is green. Would that be the bulb again? I've seen you tube videos and I know I could order the bulb for like $75 and replace it myself in 15 minutes. The other thing it might be is the Color Wheel but from what I've read, when the color wheel is going out, it makes a noise. The TV isn't making a noise. It's just the color that's off. It did this about two month ago and self corrected. Now it went green about a week ago and it's not fixing itself. Any ideas?

I've had 3 Samsung DLPs and I don't believe it's the bulb.  I've replaced bulbs and it's basically an on/off. Either they work or they don't. You can try but it does sound like the color wheel is failing. Probably time for a new tv.

13 minutes ago, msbesq said:

I've had 3 Samsung DLPs and I don't believe it's the bulb.  I've replaced bulbs and it's basically an on/off. Either they work or they don't. You can try but it does sound like the color wheel is failing. Probably time for a new tv.

It probably is time for a new one. This one is over 10 years old. Was just seeing if I could solve the problem for under a hundred.

• 1 month later...

It's not the bulb, it's the DLP light engine.  It has to be replaced, don't think it can be repaired. Good luck finding parts if you try and fix it.  You're pretty lucky for your set to have lasted this long.   Mine went bad with in about 5 years.

It fixed itself for now. I won't bother fixing it, I think it's lived it's best life already. The fun part will be getting someone to take it once I do replace it. Ex picked it out cause he thought it was cool looking and I loathe it but it has worked all this time. Movers get a kick out of seeing it since it's so different looking.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by sachick

My Samsung LED DLP is still going strong at 10 yrs but is no longer our main tv, did replace the dlp chip when the screen went snowy about 5 yrs in, but got lucky, girl I used to date is an engineer at TI and she was the one that designed the chip holder. She got me a replacement for free and even came over and replaced it for me. Glad that relationship ended amicably.

In related news..my rotary phone has a contact out..when i dial the Esso station which is Atlantic 3-100  I get Atlantic 2-199 which is the Sambos diner. The phone is in the kitchen hardwired to the wall and I dont like disturbing my wife when she is cooking meatloaf. How do I order parts?