December 8, 2020. 40th anniversary of Lennon’s murder

Gil Bang

Every human being is kinda shitty.  You still upset about his Jesus remark or something?  Considering both those guys were more similar than most can even fathom.  

Whenever one of the big anniversaries of his murder come up (20, 25, 40)...I think about how much we could use John Lennon in the world today.  But it's just a fool's wish, the world turned without him, in the end he changed a few people who changed a few things in the world.  But that, as they say, was that.  

But today, 2020, 40 years later..........Oh Lord, we could really use a John Lennon right now.  Any John Lennon will do.  He'd either have withdrawn into hiding or he'd be blaring music in Lafayette Park.  Woulda been no middle ground with that man.  

Having said that, I don't think I like what I'm hearing about this Mark David Chapman fellow.  I know people like to blame his actions on salacious reading like "Catcher in the Rye" but maybe, and I'm just spitballing after 40 years here...it had more to do with serious and heavy religious indoctrination that led to an unhealthy hatred of John Lennon's worldview.  Mark was clinically depressed and seriously suicidal (I think he attempted to kill himself and got close 2 or 3 times, wish he had been more thorough).  And Mark was severely abused by his father  

Yoko gave an interview on what I think was the 25th or30th anniversary, IIRC. It was the closest I ever heard her tilt towards believing this was a conspiracy (it was the interview transcript).  She said something to the effect of she kind of "forgave" Mark and she had come to peace with the fact that the U.S. Government had just had enough of John Lennon. He wasn't taking the hints with the immigration shit, and so they found somebody that already had a problem with John and wound him up good and tight, and let him loose on John.  I kinda believe that sometimes.  

Anyway, RIP John.  Send word. 

I walked up to The Dakota last summer when we were walking around the park and was bummed that there were people smiling and taking pictures where it happened. Walked over to the imagine tribute and it made me feel a little better. We could use his voice these days. 

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Every human being is kinda shitty.  You still upset about his Jesus remark or something?  Considering both those guys were more similar than most can even fathom.  

Whenever one of the big anniversaries of his murder come up (20, 25, 40)...I think about how much we could use John Lennon in the world today.  But it's just a fool's wish, the world turned without him, in the end he changed a few people who changed a few things in the world.  But that, as they say, was that.  

But today, 2020, 40 years later..........Oh Lord, we could really use a John Lennon right now.  Any John Lennon will do.  He'd either have withdrawn into hiding or he'd be blaring music in Lafayette Park.  Woulda been no middle ground with that man.  

Having said that, I don't think I like what I'm hearing about this Mark David Chapman fellow.  I know people like to blame his actions on salacious reading like "Catcher in the Rye" but maybe, and I'm just spitballing after 40 years here...it had more to do with serious and heavy religious indoctrination that led to an unhealthy hatred of John Lennon's worldview.  Mark was clinically depressed and seriously suicidal (I think he attempted to kill himself and got close 2 or 3 times, wish he had been more thorough).  And Mark was severely abused by his father  

Yoko gave an interview on what I think was the 25th or30th anniversary, IIRC. It was the closest I ever heard her tilt towards believing this was a conspiracy (it was the interview transcript).  She said something to the effect of she kind of "forgave" Mark and she had come to peace with the fact that the U.S. Government had just had enough of John Lennon. He wasn't taking the hints with the immigration shit, and so they found somebody that already had a problem with John and wound him up good and tight, and let him loose on John.  I kinda believe that sometimes.  

Anyway, RIP John.  Send word. 

No, I'm upset that he abandoned and neglected his family and treated Julian like absolute shit. 

then you're really not gonna like it when you found out who else from New York ended up neglecting their family and treating their sons like shit.  This other guy ended up having even more influence than John, but his debut album was horseshit.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

then you're really not gonna like it when you found out who else from New York ended up neglecting their family and treating their sons like shit.  This other guy ended up having even more influence than John, but his debut album was horseshit.  

Who we talking about here?

John was an asshole at times, but he was mostly just an emotions-first kind of guy. Emotions were primary. When he was happy, he was ecstatic. When he was mad, he was furious. He was a pretty tortured guy psychologically. But by all accounts he had really put a lot of his demons to rest and had approached his 40th birthday as a centered guy -- a house husband, a father, a cook, a musician. He was a lot more centered and at peace. To me that's what so terribly tragic. I would've loved to witness what he would've done with that newfound energy and positivity. 

In some ways, much like SRV was cut down right as he had turned the corner on his demons. The timing of it all makes it all the more tragic. 

• Hook 'Em 1