Private schools are indefensible

Sbbruin

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

... it’s almost like if you cherry pick a bunch of shit it looks great.

Cherry-picking implies that other pertinent data are available for 4th and 8th grade science and math performance, and that I deliberately chose to exclude some of the data.

You seem to have access to a more comprehensive analyses of 4th and 8th grade science and math measurements than does the National Science Board; please share.

So white kids are becoming a smaller portion of Texas public schools but Texas public schools are doing better lately as compared to their big-state peers.  Interesting.  

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So white kids are becoming a smaller portion of Texas public schools but Texas public schools are doing better lately as compared to their big-state peers.  Interesting.  

Probably a few thousand other variables between the two, but sure

I would certainly agree with that.  ^

But I'm being told consistently that the one variable that is to blame for the drains on our health care system, our educational system, our legal system, et. al. are the growing number of brown immigrants.  not saying you're positing that.  But if there is a categorial macro threat to our way of life, especially education, because of more children of color...shouldn't we also look at the singular effect of breadth in public education?  That which can lift up, can also destroy...no?  

On 3/14/2021 at 8:35 AM, gmr548 said:

It’s similar to healthcare. We spend a metric fuckton of money there and get garbage health outcomes. Why? Because much of what drives those outcomes is rooted outside the medical system. Same is true for education

This is one of the reasons why I sympathize with teachers. You really don't know the "outcomes based incentive" charge until it affects your paycheck. In pharmacy I'm penalized if my patients don't pick up their meds in a timeframe that suggest they're compliant. If John Doe picks up a 90 day supply of a medication every 120 days, I lose money. I can't go to their home and shove it down their throat nor can I force them to buy a new 90 day order when they already have some due to noncompliance. I'm better off giving those patients shitty service so they'll transfer out to another pharmacy than allow them to hurt my bottom line. It's fucked up but that's the game these PBMs force us to play. That's not how health care is supposed to be and I feel the same about education.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

but Texas public schools are doing better lately as compared to their big-state peers.  

Any details as to how this is quantified? Has the methodology used to rank the states changed in the last ~decade? I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Texas would rank ~48th academically ... Did the "Robinhood" policies payoff? 

I would point out we are one of the only major economies that largely farms out it's education both in funding and control to the local level. Most other nation's have a much more centralized system at the national level.

I've seen both sides of this. My eldest went to an elite private school where they used the drink from a fire hose approach to education.   He's handling college much better than most his peers, but he was only a top quartile student at his private school.  

My current junior is at a magnet public program in a terrible school district.  He's top of his class, but I worry about the transition to college in a couple of years.  The system itself is decrepit and needs an enormous injection of financial resources.

I went to Westlake, so I've seen the best public school has to offer.

I always say:  There are good rich school districts and bad rich school districts, and bad poor school districts.  But there are no good poor school districts. 

• Hook 'Em 1