2021 Seattle Mariners

MC Fresh Breath

23 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

That was on the previous page, just in case I'm being ignored, Jerry.

Ack, sorry - I thought the surgery aspect might be new.

If Kelenic looked ready, it might be interesting to see him and Trammel get a little extended time together. But alas, it looks like Kelenic needs some time.

I was joshing a bit, no biggie.  Now the 'is he injury prone' question comes up.  Hopefully it stops the (for me) silly Hanniger trade talk I see some of the Seattle media floating out there.  This rebuild sure seems in trouble.  Kelenic, I don't know.  I see it argued that he can't really improve much in AAA, so keep him at MLB and learning.  I see it argued that he should stay in AAA and maybe get his confidence up.  Remember, Mather admitted Kelenic would have started the season in the bigs if they weren't actively manipulating his service time.  So the org sure thought he was ready.  Too early to judge, imo, and the team is going to suck no matter what, so I'd leave him up and give him more days off here and there to absorb. 

3 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I was joshing a bit, no biggie.  Now the 'is he injury prone' question comes up.  Hopefully it stops the (for me) silly Hanniger trade talk I see some of the Seattle media floating out there.  This rebuild sure seems in trouble.  Kelenic, I don't know.  I see it argued that he can't really improve much in AAA, so keep him at MLB and learning.  I see it argued that he should stay in AAA and maybe get his confidence up.  Remember, Mather admitted Kelenic would have started the season in the bigs if they weren't actively manipulating his service time.  So the org sure thought he was ready.  Too early to judge, imo, and the team is going to suck no matter what, so I'd leave him up and give him more days off here and there to absorb. 

Honestly I’ve become accustomed to just completely asinine decisions by the front office, so I’m just along for the ride. I don’t really care who we trade or pull up from the minors anymore. Just win games. Which is a fun thought until about may each year. 

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Honestly I’ve become accustomed to just completely asinine decisions by the front office, so I’m just along for the ride. I don’t really care who we trade or pull up from the minors anymore. Just win games. Which is a fun thought until about may each year. 

Yeah, but when the org comes out and says "we're rebuilding, don't expect competitiveness," well, I don't expect wins.  I sure enjoy and root for wins, but I don't expect them much.  I usually try to enjoy certain players and how they perform.  This year's team really makes that tough at times.  0 runs last night, for example.

Am reading a Lookout Landing article on sending Kelenic down and Shed Long coming up.

Author makes the point of:

The conundrum with Triple-A this year is the pitching, stretched paper-thin everywhere, just isn’t good enough to offer much challenge to more advanced hitters, and the juicy ball, stores of which they’re still working through, continues to fly out of parks and inflate offensive numbers. Meanwhile, offense is down across the big leagues to the point where MLB has deemed it necessary to start enthusiastically cracking down on the use of banned substances

So, that makes sense to me.  Dudes just may not be able to learn as much in AAA as they aren't challenged enough.

Also, from same article:

And maybe, like fellow prospect Taylor Trammell, who has a full year at Double-A to Kelenic’s fewer than 100 PAs, the time away will give Kelenic an opportunity to reflect and adjust. Trammell said during his time in Tacoma he was able to make a slight mechanical adjustment with lowering his hands, as well as a mental adjustment of trying to focus on hitting the ball over the shortstop’s head. It’s a very brief sample size but since returning, Trammell has raised his wRC+ from the double digits to 120; most encouragingly, he’s cut his strikeouts down from around 40% to around 26%.

So, yeah, Biff, we got a chance!