2021 Seattle Mariners

MC Fresh Breath

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is one of my favorite things though. Your absolute disgust and horror with him is just so amusing. I’m sorry because I know it actually hurts your soul, but I just find it hysterical. Because he’s so inconsequential in the long run. 

It is just so painful.  Before the VPN quit working I managed to see him let a wild pitch get by him that any other catcher would have most likely stopped.  We had that other dude up who could at least catch l, but I think he got hurt.

MLB is trying their hardest to keep me from watching the M’s right now anyway. 

OHTANI WENT YARD!

but the Mariners won.

So apparently at the game yesterday, they showed some kid dancing on the jumbotron before and during the M's rally, and the fans were loving it.  He was dubbed Rally Kid, and it led to a neat moment after the game.

• Like 1

Man, he will remember that forever. I went to a Rangers vs Mariners game when I was a kid and went down to the first row when Griffey was in the on deck circle. I was within 10 feet of him and couldn’t utter a word, I was so star struck. He then stepped up to the plate and CRUSHED a grand slam. 

New toy! 

The Mariners announced they’re selecting the contract of catching prospect Cal Raleigh. All-Star southpaw Yusei Kikuchi was placed on the COVID-19 injured list to create active and 40-man roster space. Additionally, utilityman Donovan Walton has been recalled from Triple-A Tacoma, while outfielder Taylor Trammell was optioned to Tacoma after last night’s game.

Raleigh is now set to make his major league debut. A third-round pick out of Florida State in 2018, the switch-hitting backstop has developed into one of the game’s more promising young catchers. After a pair of quality seasons in the low minors, Raleigh entered 2021 as one of the Mariners top prospects. Each of Baseball America, Eric Longenhagen of FanGraphs and Keith Law of the Athleticslotted him among the top ten farmhands in a strong system this year.

All three outlets laud Raleigh’s combination of power potential and solid receiving skills, with Longenhagen noting that he’s rated as a strong pitch framer throughout his amateur and minor league career. The general expectation among evaluators is that he’ll develop into an average or better regular behind the plate.

The M’s would have had to add Raleigh to the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft at the end of the season, but he forced his way to the big leagues a bit early by performing well at Triple-A. Assigned to Tacoma for the first time this year, he’s hit .324/.377/.608 with nine home runs across 199 trips to the plate. Raleigh has slashed his strikeout rate to a personal-best 12.6% this year, swinging and missing at a lower-than-average 10.9% clip.

With the 48-42 Mariners hanging in the postseason picture, Raleigh will get an immediate opportunity to contribute to a playoff race. The Mariners catching trio of Luis Torrens, Tom Murphy and José Godoy has offered slightly below-average production on the season, although Torrens has been better lately after a bad start. It’s not a given that Raleigh will stick on the active roster from here on out, but his selection clears the way for him to contribute at the big league level down the stretch.

As for Kikuchi, there doesn’t seem to be much cause for concern. The 30-year-old has been feeling virus-like symptoms recently, but he’s fully vaccinated and has already tested negative for COVID-19, relays Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times (Twitter link). Assuming a follow-up test today comes back negative, he’ll be cleared to participate in the All-Star Game and return to the Mariners next week.

Not ‘some rando catcher’. 

After a pair of quality seasons in the low minors, Raleigh entered 2021 as one of the Mariners top prospects. Each of Baseball America, Eric Longenhagen of FanGraphs and Keith Law of the Athletic slotted him among the top ten farmhands in a strong system this year.

Kikuchi was purely a paperwork move to get an extra body up today. 

As for Kikuchi, there doesn’t seem to be much cause for concern. The 30-year-old has been feeling virus-like symptoms recently, but he’s fully vaccinated and has already tested negative for COVID-19, relays Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times. Assuming a follow-up test today comes back negative, he’ll be cleared to participate in the All-Star Game and return to the Mariners next week.

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I was honestly kind of hoping they would let Raleigh marinate (heh) until September.  But, if it prevents Torrens from getting behind the plate, well OK then.

also, here we go again:

Alright.  This is how it goes.  Gotta get his mind right.  And hey, 5 games over .500 after the break?  I'll take that all day, every day as an Ms fan.