2021 Seattle Mariners

MC Fresh Breath

Jarred Kelenic has made hard-learned adjustments, and he’s starting to flourish with the Mariners

By Adam Jude 
Seattle Times staff reporter
There it was again Thursday afternoon, another small snapshot — click, click — in a growing sequence of them featuring the new Jarred Kelenic. He pounded his hands together excitedly as he walked back to the Mariners dugout — two, three, four, five times — to celebrate another quality at-bat, and another small step forward in his maturation as a major-leaguer.

The Mariners’ 22-year-old rookie center fielder did his job in the fourth inning, lofting a ball the other way to left field for a sacrifice fly to score the Mariners’ first run Thursday against the Rangers.

The version of Kelenic the Mariners saw during his first major league call-up in May might not have been ready to deliver in that kind of moment.

“You know,” Kelenic said the night before, “the more and more I’m around this environment, you kind of have the mindset of, ‘If it doesn’t happen, if I don’t capitalize here, I’ll do it the next at-bat; if I don’t capitalize (again), I’ll do it next one; if I don’t capitalize today, I’ll capitalize tomorrow.’

“And that’s the fortunate thing while playing every day, is you get so many opportunities that — I think that’s something I struggled with early on when I first came up (in May). You know, every at-bat to me was kind of like a life-or-death situation. And now … I’m getting over stuff a lot faster.”

On Wednesday night, Kelenic scored the game-winning run on Luis Torrens’ walk-off hit against Texas, a run Kelenic created with a hustle double — click, click — to lead off the bottom of the ninth. He also was responsible for the Mariners’ first run in the sixth inning Wednesday when he drew a two-out walk with the bases loaded.

Had he been in that situation in May — bases loaded, two outs, his team trailing — he might have tried to hit the ball over Lake Washington. Looking back, he acknowledged he was trying too hard, trying too much, trying to do the impossible.

“Absolutely,” he said.

A much-hyped prospect, Kelenic was demoted to Class AAA Tacoma in early June and spent a month working through things. He was recalled to Seattle after the All-Star break. He made a couple of mechanical adjustments at the plate — he’s standing up straighter and wiggling his shoulders less — and he has been particularly productive in August.

Entering Thursday, he was hitting .278 with a .909 OPS, two homers, three doubles and four RBI in 10 games this month.

“Jarred’s a good player — I’ve said that since Day One,” Mariners manager Scott Servais said Thursday. “He got off to a rocky start here. The expectations that he put on himself, that a lot of people put on and maybe they were not really fair, but they are what they are. In today’s world, everybody knows about young players, when they’re coming to the big leagues and what everybody’s looking for.

“… Now we’re starting to see him play and flourish and be the player that we know he can be. I don’t know what his numbers are going to look like (at the end of the season), and quite frankly I don’t really care. I’m just more excited about now he is headed down the right path — the arrow’s pointed up. He understands he’s gone through some struggles, by his own admission he got kicked in the teeth a little bit. And he’s now understanding the value and how you bounce back from that.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/jarred-kelenic-has-made-hard-learned-adjustments-and-hes-starting-to-flourish-with-the-mariners/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Convince me. Show me on the field. For the hype, he needs to end up above .300 for me. Or at least be there next season. 

Despite Jarred Kelenic, Logan Gilbert, Jake Fraley, and Taylor Trammell graduating, the Seattle Mariners now have the #1 farm system in baseball per Baseball America. The venerable scouting organization released their midseason update to their “organizational talent rankings” today. The metric is both helpful and mildly misleading, as BA does not consider any player who has lost prospect eligibility by playing in enough big league games in these rankings, hence the exclusion of Kelenic, Wander Franco, and a few other top prospects from the start of the season.

By the same coin, Seattle has graduated two of its top prospects as well as a handful of other members of its organizational Top-15, yet still has improved at both the top and with depth throughout enough to impress Baseball America, who ranked Seattle dead last as recently as 2018 and started them at #2 behind Tampa Bay in 2021. The Mariners have three prospects in BA’s present league-wide Top-15 (OF Julio Rodríguez at #2, SS Noelvi Marte at #8, RHP George Kirby at #11) as well as another in the Top-50 (RHP Emerson Hancock at #50).

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/platform/amp/2021/8/16/22627137/despite-graduations-baseball-america-ranks-seattle-mariners-farm-system-1-in-mlb-mid-season-update?utm_campaign=lookoutlanding&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Future is hopefully brighter.  I guess it has to be?

48 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I mean, I keep seeing this, over and over, year after year.  Granted, this season is actually better than normal, but for having so many amazing prospects, how have we not consistently been in the top 2 of the division?  Feels very much like the Longhorns in that regard.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, I keep seeing this, over and over, year after year.  Granted, this season is actually better than normal, but for having so many amazing prospects, how have we not consistently been in the top 2 of the division?  Feels very much like the Longhorns in that regard.

Well, not to be argumentative, but our farm system has not been highly rated year after year.   Jack Z did nothing to improve it.  That was what Dipoto has been addressing.  Whether or not it pays off in the long run, we'll we will of course have to see.