Churrascarias

Patricio Swayze

I figured I would start a thread on Brazilian churrascarias since I tried one tonight that I had not been to before.  I try not to compare the churrascarias here to the ones in Brazil, but it is kind of hard not to.  Straight up, all the American ones fall short of the Brazilian ones.

Gauchos do Sul in The Vintage.  Fairly typical in layout and style.  Seemed a bit more expensive than most that I have been to in Houston (two drinks, two people $175 including tip).  All the typical cuts, but didn't see any filet mignon wrapped with bacon nor chicken hearts.  My wife kept asking for medium well done cuts, but every single time they brought her medium rare (which is what I was eating).  Overall, I would give the place a B.

Although I haven't been to Chama Gaucha in years, it still is my favorite Churrascaria.

One thing I don't understand at all is not a single American churrascaria has the smoked mozzarella balls that are common in Brazil.  They are about the size of racquetball and stuck on a skewer over the fire.  Gets a nice smokey, meat flavor to it.  Nearly killed myself eating half a dozen of them on one visit to Brazil.  Such a simple thing, not sure why no one here does it.

Agreed on Chama Gaucha. My last company had a helluva Christmas Party there a few years back. They probably refilled my glass after every sip of wine. People were very drunk. 

I was tipped off beforehand to wait them out, and fill up on lamb and filet mignon. Good decision. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:18 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

One thing I don't understand at all is not a single American churrascaria has the smoked mozzarella balls that are common in Brazil.  They are about the size of racquetball and stuck on a skewer over the fire.  Gets a nice smokey, meat flavor to it.  Nearly killed myself eating half a dozen of them on one visit to Brazil.  Such a simple thing, not sure why no one here does it.

I assume you are talking about pan de queijo?  I swear I've had them at Fogo de Chao and Chama Gaucha and Estancia- Austin.

4 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I assume you are talking about pan de queijo?  I swear I've had them at Fogo de Chao and Chama Gaucha and Estancia- Austin.

No, pão de queijo is common.  In fact, it is pretty easy to find at grocery stores these days.  I am talking about mozzarella that is cooked over the fire along with the meat.  Looks like this:

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

No, pão de queijo is common.  In fact, it is pretty easy to find at grocery stores these days.  I am talking about mozzarella that is cooked over the fire along with the meat.  Looks like this:

spacer.png

Emporio Brazilian Grill might have it.  That's where my Brazilian friends parents eat all the time.  

https://www.facebook.com/emporiobraziliangrill/  (Their website doesn't work idk why)

Emporio Brazilian Grill might have it.  That's where my Brazilian friends parents eat all the time.  
https://www.facebook.com/emporiobraziliangrill/  (Their website doesn't work idk why)

Empório is good. I used to eat there quite a bit but it’s been a year or so since I have gone. I don’t recall them having it. It’s a very common item in churrascarias in Brazil. Don’t think I have ever been to one there that didn’t have it. It’s just so simple that I don’t get why it isn’t available in American churrascarias.

• 1 year later...
Ive never seen the mozarella and ive been to a bunch of churascarias in brazil. 

Chicken hearts is a must tho

I don’t think I have ever been to one that didn’t have the cheese. Maybe one or two small mom and pop type places. I would say at about half the places you have to ask for it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Went to Texas de Brazil tonight with my wife. Pretty meh. I try to not compare to actually being in Brazil, but it can be tough not to. Picanha was ok. Filet mignon good. No goddamn chicken hearts. I don’t understand why not. My wife ordered a caipirinha which was weak. It was funny to have the waiter explain exactly what a caipirinha is. We just pretended like we learned something new. Since it was out anniversary, we got a dessert comped. Not a single desert was a traditional Brazilian dessert.

I guess next time we will go to Chama Gaúcha. Hopefully that place is still good. It’s been a long time since I have eaten there.

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Went to Texas de Brazil tonight with my wife. Pretty meh. I try to not compare to actually being in Brazil, but it can be tough not to. Picanha was ok. Filet mignon good. No goddamn chicken hearts. I don’t understand why not. My wife ordered a caipirinha which was weak. It was funny to have the waiter explain exactly what a caipirinha is. We just pretended like we learned something new. Since it was out anniversary, we got a dessert comped. Not a single desert was a traditional Brazilian dessert.

I guess next time we will go to Chama Gaúcha. Hopefully that place is still good. It’s been a long time since I have eaten there.

I assume you don’t mess with Fogo?

Its hard to believe Chama is the best in Houston, but you do know your meat/Brazilian food. 

I assume you don’t mess with Fogo?
Its hard to believe Chama is the best in Houston, but you do know your meat/Brazilian food. 

I’m not sure if Chama is the best and it’s been many years since I last ate there. I just recall being happy with the meal.

Honestly, I think I have only eaten at Fogo twice. Once here in Houston and once in Rio. I recall the Houston meal being good but again, it’s been many years. So yeah, next time we go get churrasco, we will likely go to Chama or Fogo.

Curious about Avenida Brazil. Never been there.