2018 Chicago Cubs

Disco Missile

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Fucking pissed away the division to the goddamned Brewers.

To be fair they have won their last 8 games, had the best ERA and 2nd best runs scored and best record in MLB in the month of September. They have been on fire and as much as it sucks to admit they have been playing the way you need to be playing down the stretch heading into the playoffs. 

Hopefully they get up 12-0 tomorrow so Carl Jr. can eat some innings.......(if he's even on the playoff roster)

31 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

2 hits. Two fucking hits.. 

I can't say for any kind of certainty but Chili Davis was the coach of the Red Sox last year and look at the them now. Tons of injuries but the team dropped in avg, obp, slug, ops, hr's, runs, etc. HR's dropped from 223 to 166. I know missing Bryant for half the season hurts a ton, but it still a massive drop. On the other hand Baez turned into a MVP candidate. 

I would rather face the Dodgers tomorrow, so go Rockies. 

5 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

To be fair they have won their last 8 games, had the best ERA and 2nd best runs scored and best record in MLB in the month of September. They have been on fire and as much as it sucks to admit they have been playing the way you need to be playing down the stretch heading into the playoffs. 

Hopefully they get up 12-0 tomorrow so Carl Jr. can eat some innings.......(if he's even on the playoff roster)

I'm primarily referring to how the Cubs played.  They had the division lead the entire second half and didn't do enough to close it out.  That's called pissing it away.  Bats would go completely silent at critical times.  6-5 over the last 11 regular season games isn't going to get it done in a pennant race.  

13 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Yeah they are easily the favorites to win the NL at this point, but if we can get them in a 5 game series we could easily win that too. Either way no NL team will be the Astros or Red Sox this year. Better hope for the A's or Indians to win the AL. 

6 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I can't say for any kind of certainty but Chili Davis was the coach of the Red Sox last year and look at the them now. Tons of injuries but the team dropped in avg, obp, slug, ops, hr's, runs, etc. HR's dropped from 223 to 166. I know missing Bryant for half the season hurts a ton, but it still a massive drop. On the other hand Baez turned into a MVP candidate. 

I would rather face the Dodgers tomorrow, so go Rockies. 

Um yeah-

I'm just hoping the Cubs can win tomorrow, with what theyve shown the past week or two, hell the second half, that might be the last game. Already set a record for 1 run games, all by homers, was it 9 straight? 3 hits today. Jesus.

5 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I'm just hoping the Cubs can win tomorrow, with what theyve shown the past week or two, hell the second half, that might be the last game. Already set a record for 1 run games, all by homers, was it 9 straight? 3 hits today. Jesus.

And what's crazy is that they could easily go on a run and win the NL or at least the NLDS. 

Everything is such a grind and they're trapped in making it more difficult than it should be, imo. Maybe it's the feeling of picking up slack for the pitching staff, but the staff hasn't been as bad as expected. Darvish was an absolute disaster, possibly keeping the front office from making an extra move, I dont know.

They need to get back to raking.

• Like 1

After the all-star break, this team has been a bit 'off'.   I thought Almora Jr. played with noticeably less enthusiasm after not making the all star ballot...like he really took it personally.  Then Contreras went into an inexplicable tailspin after he DID make the all star team.   Russell seemed off all year-and maybe we found out why.   Bryant got hurt and can't swing his normal swing.  Darvish's injury hurt.   Strope's unnecessary injury at just the wrong time has even the most loyal Maddon fans looking sideways.  It hasn't been a lucky year.

But it's baseball and literally anyone can beat anyone in a 1 game playoff.   Might as well toss a coin.    A five game playoff with the Brewers would be tough.  Honestly, Counsell looks like the best manager in the league this year, with the creative things he's doing with his insane bullpen.  Where a ace starter gives you a big boost once every four games, Brewers' relievers trot out there every single night and lock down those last, crucial 27-36 outs.  

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dewey said:

Everything is such a grind and they're trapped in making it more difficult than it should be, imo. Maybe it's the feeling of picking up slack for the pitching staff, but the staff hasn't been as bad as expected. Darvish was an absolute disaster, possibly keeping the front office from making an extra move, I dont know.

They need to get back to raking.

Agreed, feels like the pitching has been okay, but we rarely get that big hit with a guy on second and third.

You aren't going to win very many games scoring 1 run.

2 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

The starting pitching has covered up a hell of a lot of holes with the team. The bullpen has been ass for awhile and the hitting has been shit. Not a good combo. 

Pretty much the opposite of what we thought we had at the ASB. 

As much shit as Chili Davis gets, I think the situation is brought on by everyone, from Theo to Jed to Joe to Chili, to the players. Chili did call a hitters only meeting when the first slump was happening and we broke out the bats, nothing since.

15 hours ago, spystud13 said:

36 outs would be a bitch most nights. 

I've spoken to the accountants here at "Monster.surlyhorns.Ukraine proxy" and I've been told we meant to say "9-12" outs.

I was also told to stop posting at 4am.

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1

and for the record, while this season has been as disappointing as any season where you finish w/the second best record in the NL can be, at least we went for it. regardless of how well the moves worked, from darvish, to murphy, to hamels, to even bote, at least our club had a plan and we went for it. it could always be worse- we could be the nationals. 

and for the record, while this season has been as disappointing as any season where you finish w/the second best record in the NL can be, at least we went for it. regardless of how well the moves worked, from darvish, to murphy, to hamels, to even bote, at least our club had a plan and we went for it. it could always be worse- we could be the nationals. 

Right now the lineup appears to be auditioning for Machado or Harper this offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever happens, I like bringing Hamels in.  And I've liked all of the pitching moves. (Though Lester maybe could have gone another inning)

You've held the Rockies to 1 run in 10 innings...the pitchers have done their job.  

Edited by Monster

Pulling Hamels there is like going for it on 4th down and 10 from your own 35 yard line....with a minute to go in the game.   Sure, if you get it, you win...but it's not a high percentage play and if you don't get it, you're probably fucked.

Hope I'm wrong, but that felt like a bad decision to me...knowing what we have left in the bullpen.

Edited by Monster