2018 Chicago Cubs

Disco Missile

Left way too many RISP early on today -- 0 for 7 on the day.  Gifting the first game of the series to SF came back to bite Chicago.  Should have taken 2 of 3.  Instead, we're on the other side of the coin.

Rizzo is really struggling -- not hitting worth a damn and made two errors in the same inning for the first time in his career on Monday.  Not sure what his problem is, but he needs to figure it out.  I thought he was on his way to breaking out of his slump several weeks ago when he heated up for a week or two, but he's gone right back to his struggling ways.  KB did have a dinger, though.  That's another guy who needs to get it in gear.

Shitty first inning by Monty but recovered nicely. Bullpen was really damn good, won’t fault them for the 6th guy getting the loss. 2 losses that had some positives in them.

This team needs a good 20 game stretch.

we never had a point during that half where all of our bats were going. in fact rizzo's bat really hasn't gotten going, contreras and schwarber have been streaky and mostly cold, and kb has been hurt. i'm really hoping that the break can do something to wake up out bats for the second half.

Edited by Goo Punch

we never had a point during that half where all of our bats were going. in fact rizzo's bat really hasn't gotten going, contreras and schwarber have been steamy and mostly cold, and kb has been hurt. i'm really hoping that the break can do something to wake up out bats for the second half.

And they lead the NL in runs, avg, slug, ops, and run differential.

16 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Just need Hendricks to stop giving up 1st inning runs. I can’t remember, but who was his catcher in ‘16?

Montero - 15 games, 95.2 IP, 2.73 ERA, .608 OPSA, 4.8 K/BB

Contreras - 12 games, 71.1 IP, 1.51 ERA, .579 OPSA, 3.35 K/BB

Ross and Federowicz each caught him twice.

i talked about how this isn't our year because we lack "professional hitters" in the lineup. Down 5-1 today with the bases loaded and one out, and Baez and Willson, our two All Star hitters, both come up and wildly strike out swinging at terrible pitches. That's why we have no chance this year. 

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i talked about how this isn't our year because we lack "professional hitters" in the lineup. Down 5-1 today with the bases loaded and one out, and Baez and Willson, our two All Star hitters, both come up and wildly strike out swinging at terrible pitches. That's why we have no chance this year. 

Yeah, that was brutal.

Carpenter continues to scald Lester.

I'm fine with winning 3 in a 5 game series, though it should have been 4. Pirates have now passed the Cards for 3rd in the division. Ready to see this team crack 20 over .500. 4 against Arizona, then travel to St. Louis for 3 and Pittsburgh for 2.

I'm such a black cloud any time I post in a Cubs thread...but I can't help but to be excited.  The weakest link is the starters not getting deep into games and come playoffs that weakness is mitigated the way managers use pitchers in the postseason.  It would still be nice to improve on that and have Darvish come back strong but in the NL I like their odds.  

Machado to the Dodgers is a bitch though...

Went to the game last night. Basically a throw away game to get the pitching staff some much needed rest. While I know so many question Joe's decisions it was pretty awesome seeing Rizzo throw 2 pitches and get the last out in the 9th. We were sitting right by the 3rd base dugout and was hilarious to see them react after he got the final out. 

Zobrist threw my kid a ball and my other son got one from the guy in front of us. 

Will try to upload a few pictures later tonight. 

• Like 2

Reports are the Cubs are one of 4 teams in it for Britton (Astros, Yankees, and Red Sox are the others). Makes sense to me as he would offer insurance on Morrow and you just go for a super bullpen as I don't see them being able to add a legit starter. My guess is that the Cubs and Astros are the two favorites since its Baltimore and they won't want to trade in the division even on a rental. Astros can offer a lot more if they want too than we can.

On 7/23/2018 at 8:45 AM, shnsajax said:

I'm fine with winning 3 in a 5 game series, though it should have been 4. Pirates have now passed the Cards for 3rd in the division. Ready to see this team crack 20 over .500. 4 against Arizona, then travel to St. Louis for 3 and Pittsburgh for 2.

Frankly the way this season has been going, I can't believe how well we're doing.
Very few things have gone right, and we're leading the division.

12 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Frankly the way this season has been going, I can't believe how well we're doing.
Very few things have gone right, and we're leading the division.

Couldn't agree more. 

Doesn't feel at all like they are playing anywhere close to quality baseball yet are in 1st place. Crazy season. It's a grind but we just need to get a few guys healthy for the stretch run to get ready for the playoffs.