2018 Chicago Cubs

Disco Missile

28 minutes ago, Monster said:

Baez has less range than Russell?   I can't even tell what you're arguing at this point...the validity of your cherry-picked stats?   

But okay...if it's your lineup, and Russell is untouchable (despite his team low OPS and imo, defensive medicority), how do you get Bote onto the field?   

Russell is hardly untouchable and a better defensive SS than Baez, but I would agree that Baez is more than good enough and above average that he could overtake Russell based on offensive production he would provide over Russell. My point again is that you called Russell a below average defensive SS which is laughable when he is probably top 2-3 overall in all of baseball. 

Edited by shnsajax

27 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Russell is hardly untouchable and a better defensive SS than Baez, but I would agree that Baez is more than good enough and above average that he could overtake Russell based on offensive production he would provide over Russell. My point again is that you called Russell a below average defensive SS which is laughable when he is probably top 2-3 overall in all of baseball. 

Career-wise, I could maybe agree with your Russell defensive rank.  We'll have to agree to disagree with regards to his 2018 season.  

So when KB gets back, if Bote is still playing the way he is now, offensively and defensively....what do you do?

Edited by Monster

21 steals, zero hits. Don’t see that career line often. 

The Cubs acquired speedster Terrance Gore from the Royals for cash considerations on Wednesday.

The 27-year-old has yet to appear in the Majors this season, but in 49 career games, Gore has swiped 21 bases. Known for his speed, Gore is also seeking his first career big league hit as he's gone 0-for-11.

In 67 games at Triple-A Omaha this season, Gore is hitting .211/.304/.254 with 16 stolen bases.

Gore, 27, would give the Cubs some speed, which he provided in the postseason for the Royals in 2014 and '15. By being in the Cubs' organization before Aug. 31, he is eligible for the postseason roster.

20 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

We need Morrow back. Pen is running thin.

I wish Carl Edwards could juuust take that next step and become dominant. Either refined control or mastering a new pitch would do it. He has a ton of natural talent, but if we were relying on him to get three big outs vs LAD/BOS/HOU/NYY/CLE then I'd be less-than-convinced that he could shut them down. 

I wish Carl Edwards could juuust take that next step and become dominant. Either refined control or mastering a new pitch would do it. He has a ton of natural talent, but if we were relying on him to get three big outs vs LAD/BOS/HOU/NYY/CLE then I'd be less-than-convinced that he could shut them down. 

He can be a top 10-15 reliever in all of baseball if he figures that out. Still the pen has been outstanding this season but I don’t like having to use 4 guys for the last 6 outs.

We may have to offer Hamels a 1 year deal in the offseason. Dude has been nails and if Darvish can look serviceable suddenly things look kind of good.

4.5 game lead and Cards only .5 behind the Brewers. 3 game lead over the rest of the NL without playing well most of the season

Still questioning why Maddon would throw Chatwood over Rizzo. I'd rather see anyone other than Chatwood, hes been lucky with run support, but not yesterday and is too big of a liability with all the damn walks. This is nut cutting time, we dont need a guy who has walked 5 batters ten times this season on the mound. Just accept the $$$ loss and have him sit in the pen chewing on sunflower seeds.

• Like 1

Still questioning why Maddon would throw Chatwood over Rizzo. I'd rather see anyone other than Chatwood, hes been lucky with run support, but not yesterday and is too big of a liability with all the damn walks. This is nut cutting time, we dont need a guy who has walked 5 batters ten times this season on the mound. Just accept the $$$ loss and have him sit in the pen chewing on sunflower seeds.

There was nobody else to start with Montgomery going on the DL Friday. It has nothing to do with money.

On 8/19/2018 at 4:09 PM, Dewey said:

1 run each game, each run a solo shot, history. Darvish made it 19 pitches, didnt make 20, wants another MRI.

I think it's safe to say he isn't coming back this year and they should just shut him down and start rehab for spring training. 

Should the cubs get into the playoffs, they could still make a run spinning Hamels, Lester, and Hendricks around and around.    All three are battle tested.

But the Darvish bust makes everything a little less likely.    First bust for Theo?  Not that it was his fault.  But everything else he's touched has turned to gold.  Even his 'mistakes' seem to cause very little pain.  Darvish shutting down hurts. 

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Holy Shit, Cubs getting Daniel Murphy. Russell is going to be riding a lot of bench.

What a move. My whole deal this entire season was "we have no professional hitters in the lineup; we need a professional hitter (or two) in this lineup." Now we got one. Our downfall in the postseason and in close games is having a bunch of free swingers like Javy, Willson, Schwarber, and honestly even Rizzo and KB coming up to bat and striking out on 3 or 4 pitches. Now, with guys like Zobrist, Murphy, and Almora available, I think we have a much more well rounded lineup for those big situations. I think we really just addressed a huge need, and my optimism for this season is now at an all time high. I still don't think we're better than the AL's best, but that doesn't mean we can't beat them 4 times in 7 tries. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

What a move. My whole deal this entire season was "we have no professional hitters in the lineup; we need a professional hitter (or two) in this lineup." Now we got one. Our downfall in the postseason and in close games is having a bunch of free swingers like Javy, Willson, Schwarber, and honestly even Rizzo and KB coming up to bat and striking out on 3 or 4 pitches. Now, with guys like Zobrist, Murphy, and Almora available, I think we have a much more well rounded lineup for those big situations. I think we really just addressed a huge need, and my optimism for this season is now at an all time high. I still don't think we're better than the AL's best, but that doesn't mean we can't beat them 4 times in 7 tries. 

I couldn't agree more and after a 4 game stretch of scoring 4 runs it couldn't come at a better time. Still having Bote and LaStella off the bench as options and defensive replacement options is huge +. 

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I'm really pumped about this move and surprised it happened. 

Bote celebrating another walk-off homerun on the bench.  Good luck getting playing time on this infield.   

Rizzo, Baez, and I suppose Murphy will be daily starters?   

With one spot left for Bote, Russell, Zobrist, and oh yeah, former MVP Bryant coming back soon.  

On 8/25/2018 at 1:37 PM, Monster said:

Bote celebrating another walk-off homerun on the bench.  Good luck getting playing time on this infield.   

Rizzo, Baez, and I suppose Murphy will be daily starters?   

With one spot left for Bote, Russell, Zobrist, and oh yeah, former MVP Bryant coming back soon.  

It's a great problem to have but also gives them options off the bench down the stretch to give guys a day off here and there. 

‪Rizzo with another hr! Love how the offense is coming around since getting Hamels and Murphy. ‬

Seriously still can’t believe we got Murphy. Dude can hit and it appears contagious. Just need Bryant to get back to form.

10 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Does anyone have a 'trade deadline' for dummies I can borrow?  I thought you couldn't put a guy in your post season lineup if you traded after a certain date.  But aren't we past that date and the cubs picked up Murphy, while the Yankees traded for McCutchen...and both are eligible to play during the postseason? 

2 hours ago, spystud13 said:

"As we mentioned at the time, the Cole Hamels trade was exceptionally CBT-friendly, and therefore, we still had room under the threshold to fit Murphy," Hoyer said. "In addition, the insurance money we are receiving on Yu Darvish helped us afford Murphy's contract. But, yes, Tom [Ricketts] was very supportive of the move from a financial standpoint.

This part makes me happy.