2018 Chicago Cubs

Disco Missile

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Thinking double digit runs again today.

And they ended up needing every one of them.  Nearly blew a 10-3 lead.  And once the Twins pulled to within one, Cubs got the leadoff batter on third with no outs and couldn't get him home.     

Bullpen has a ton of guys on the DL.  Thankfully, Morrow was pretty much nails today.  Getting Edwards back would help a lot.  Hopefully his AAA rehab goes well and he's back in Chicago soon.       

I wonder if we'll be in play for a guy like Brad Hand towards the deadline. Edwards/Hand/Morrow at the back end is relly good. 

I could see it cause they aren’t going after a starter or any hitters. So going for a big pen makes sense. However I don’t know if we have enough to get someone who isn’t a rental. Also they still need to boost the minors this year with some international signings. So in truth, I have no fucking clue.

49 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Baez is a magician, stole home with a crazy slide. How is he 3rd in all star voting at second base? Is it cause he plays other positions? I dont know anything about the two guys ahead.of him.

Albies and Gennett.  They're both having good seasons and are legit choices at 2B.  Albies is a young kid who has been a big part of Atlanta's resurgence.  Gennett's been raking the first half of the season -- over .330 with double-digit dingers and an OPS over .9.  Baez is better defensively than either of them, IMO, and is a hell of a lot more versatile.

Theo and Jed know far more than me, imo, go after a starter, even if Darvish comes back, how good or bad will he be? Chatwood is walking too many, Hendricks is allergic to the first inning...

I know we need a lefty arm in the pen, but I'd go after a starter and.move Darvish to the pen if he ever gets back. Maybe Darvish in the pen after a shit ton of rest is a good thing? Maybe they address both pen and starter. I just know trading for another starter has to be in play now.

Hendricks has more problems than just the first inning.  He hasn't been able to paint corners with consistency this season like he did the past few years for some reason -- he's close, but off just enough that hitters are laying off borderline pitches that they were previously swinging at and unable to barrel up.   This season they're waiting him out until he gets behind and has to throw something over the heart of the plate.  And it seems to me that some of his pitches (thinking mostly slider and change here) don't seem to have the kind of late movement that they did in past seasons.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it seems that way to me.    

I just don’t see who they trade for and who they give up. It will have to be someone on the major league roster if they did that. If anything we throw a million at Lackey to come in after the break and give guys like Hendricks more time to rest.

They have to trade.for a starter, who that is and what they give up, I dont know. They cant sit on this rotation as is, they cant hope Darvish comes back from an elbow injury. Guy pitched a shit ton on innings last year, has sat out 6 weeks so far, has gone for a second opinion and still isn't back, isn't close to being back. Something has to be done on the starter front.

On 7/4/2018 at 3:14 PM, Dewey said:

Baez is a magician, stole home with a crazy slide. How is he 3rd in all star voting at second base? Is it cause he plays other positions? I dont know anything about the two guys ahead.of him.

Your boy got the start. 

JA Happ was mentioned by someone today. Still don’t know who we give up.
While the Darvish signing has proven to be terrible so.far, just know with the old regime, I would already have objects to throw and burn in anticipation of a potential trade. Not so with Jed and Theo.

Glad to get the win yesterday....but the continued story is needing so many runs to win. It’s simply not sustainable. Hendricks gets the start today and he’s been good against the giants in the past. I guess I’m a little too negative after a 7-1 home stand. 

Suarez for the giants is a young guy that has been playing really well lately and have the giants as a slight favorite.

we don't have a competitive team this year unfortunately. we need another starter, we could use another reliever, and we *really* need a professional hitter or two in our lineup, and that will ultimately be our downfall imo. The pitching is above average, the defense lights out andborderline spectacular,  it our inability to have professional AB's when we need them will be too much to overcome in the postseason when every AB is hotly contested. 

assuming we can, we should make the move for machado. i've been assuming that either he or machado or harper will be a cub next year, and we may as well make the move for him now if we can. i don't think there's a pitcher we can add who would really be a difference maker in october, but adding machado to he heart of the order could help us outscore teams in the postseason.

assuming we can, we should make the move for machado. i've been assuming that either he or machado or harper will be a cub next year, and we may as well make the move for him now if we can. i don't think there's a pitcher we can add who would really be a difference maker in october, but adding machado to he heart of the order could help us outscore teams in the postseason.

If the Yankees balk at Justice Sheffield then we may have a shot with Russell +. The O’s want pitching and that front office is a disaster to work with.

Left way too many RISP early on today -- 0 for 7 on the day.  Gifting the first game of the series to SF came back to bite Chicago.  Should have taken 2 of 3.  Instead, we're on the other side of the coin.

Rizzo is really struggling -- not hitting worth a damn and made two errors in the same inning for the first time in his career on Monday.  Not sure what his problem is, but he needs to figure it out.  I thought he was on his way to breaking out of his slump several weeks ago when he heated up for a week or two, but he's gone right back to his struggling ways.  KB did have a dinger, though.  That's another guy who needs to get it in gear.

• Like 1