2018 Chicago Cubs

Disco Missile

I feel like this team hasn’t had more than 2-3 guys clicking on offense at any given time. Yet they lead the NL in runs scored and runs per game. When you look at where this team is now vs last year it’s encouraging. Plus the NL sort of sucks this year. Lester has been nails, Monty might be in line for a post season start they he has pitched as a starter, and if you can get two of Hendricks, Q, and Darvish pitching quality starts this team could very well win the NL again.

Baez needs a little time off as long as his elbow isn’t broken.

13 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Goddammit.  This team has been heinous lately in terms of RISP.  All kinds of opportunities today to pad the lead against LA but shat the bed, and then Wilson coughs up the lead.  Fuck me.

2017 Justin Wilson shows up. 

He really should be playing everyday now. I think Happ still has a ton of upside but Almora has earned it. 

As for Monty I don't know how the hell Joe takes him out of the rotation. Although he pitched like shit last night he got out of a ton of jams and got through 6 with only giving up the single run. Oh and speaking of...................

And while I think Happ is an above average defender in CF and everywhere he plays, Almora is a top 3 defensive cf in baseball. Almora could win a batting title in the next couple of seasons.

Happ is the new Zobrist and has still only played in 176 games in his career and doesn’t turn 24 till August. Seems like he has been around longer than that and I don’t know if he has smiled more than once in all of those games.

3 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I would tell you to go back to the Dodgers board, if you actually had one 😊.

I don't want to be one of those weirdos that has long-running conversations with themselves on their own thread.  I don't have the energy to maintain it either.

Of course we go from the Cubs playing one of their best games of the season to losing to Matt Harvey and the fucking Reds. I kind of expect Darvish to come back right before the break and Hendricks to get shutdown a week or so before it for an extend all star break.

Yeah, '16 is starting to look like an aberration for Hendricks.

The Reds are also slapping Quintana around in the first couple of innings today.  Left the bases loaded both times and must be pissed at having only scored 1.  

And now Quintana grounds into a DP with only 1 strike on him and a runner on first.  Why the hell is he hitting away in that situation?

what-the-hells-going-on-out-here.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Cubs fans . . . the following was posted on Facebook by a friend of mine from Chicago.  Thought y'all might get a kick out of it:

In early May 1987, me and a couple of friends celebrated our Senior Ditch Day by going to a Cubs game at Wrigley. It was a cold and damp day and the Cubs were not a very good team, so there weren’t too many fans at the game that day. As we sat there watching batting practice, a man with a white fishing hat came up to our group and asked if anyone of us wanted to be today’s batboy for the game. Before any of my friends could answer I yelled sure. 

The next thing I know, he is leading me downstairs to the Cub’s locker room, he sized me up and threw me a Cub’s uniform and told me where I could change. I was completely freaking out by this point. He made sure the uniform fit, told me to sit on the bench and wait for the game to start. Just then all the player were coming back into the clubhouse from batting practice. Manny Trio immediately asked me my name. Stunned, I told him my name was Packy. With Manny’s broken English, he looked at me and said Pucky? Sure, Pucky. For the next 20 minutes, Manny walked passed me several times saying, Pucky, Pucky, Pucky…over and over again. Sitting on the bench, I realized I was sitting next to Jody Davis in my Cub’s uniform. 

It was time to take the field, and I was reaching a new level of freaking out. I was walking with my head down right behind a mountain of a man, and just as we were about to walk into the dugout, Andrew Dawson turned around and said in a very intense tone, “Go get my hat”. “Yes, sir, Mr. Dawson”, I said and immediately turned around to find the hat bin. When I got to the bin, I noticed right away that there were not names labeling the hats. I am a St. Louis Cardinal fan, I stood there staring at the bin of hats with just numbers. I don’t know how, but number 8 popped into my head and I grabbed his hat and ran it out to right field where he was warming up. I got back to the dugout, and someone handed me a pair of sunglasses and told me to run them out to Ryan Sandberg. Two HOFers, in 3 minutes! I returned to the dugout again and took a seat. I was sitting next to the Red Baron, Rick Sutcliffe for most of the game. 

I had never been a batboy before, so I was figuring things out the game went, with some people forcibly reminding me to go get the bat, or give the ump more baseballs, etc. My friends were up and the stands cheering me on, and being mad at me at the same time, because out of the group, they were the Cub fans, and I was the Cardinal fan. At the end of the game, the man in the white fishing hat came up to me gave me $20 and said thanks, kid.

Today, the man in the white fishing hat passed away at the age of 97. Rest in peace, Yosh Kawano, and thank you for this great story!

36222721_10216514613442816_4965709503937904640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f39180fdcb5815cdd12af8572384f7e5&oe=5BAF68A9

Stripling has been a pleasant surprise this season.

Baez sure likes him! What a game for el mago tonight! Filling in nicely for KB at plate and on defense. He crushed that grand slam. Hope KB gets back soon!

Entertaining game tonight -- too bad about the result.  Hendricks is a shell of his '16 self.  The second inning in particular was like batting practice.  When his control is off, he's got nothing to stump hitters this season when he falls behind in the count.

It seemed like it was 50/50 Cubs fans in Dodger Stadium tonight.  Chicago definitely represented well.