Royal Blue Grocery Out...Sadelle's In

Landomatic

Not surprised. Rumors have been swirling for a while that Royal Blue was struggling there. It was kind of a tale of 2 joints. The coffee bar part seemed to be doing really well, but about ⅔ of the space was a grocery store that nobody ever shopped at. That's some high dollar real estate for most of the rent not returning any revenue.

Never been to Sadelle's but looks to be a better fit there. I'm a fan of one of their other restaurants, Carbone's, so if this is anything close to that level, I'm in. Existing locations in NY, Vegas (Bellagio) and Paris. And I'll always welcome any new variety in Highland Park Village.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/05-12-21-sadelle-highland-park-village-bagels-royal-blue-grocery/

Now if someone could just figure out what the hell to do with that Yo Lobster space. We liked it the one time we tried it, but it looks to be struggling big time. Every time I drive by, it's dead, when there are 30 min waits at all the other places in there. Black hole where restaurants go to die.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Not surprised. Rumors have been swirling for a while that Royal Blue was struggling there. It was kind of a tale of 2 joints. The coffee bar part seemed to be doing really well, but about ⅔ of the space was a grocery store that nobody ever shopped at. That's some high dollar real estate for most of the rent not returning any revenue.

Never been to Sadelle's but looks to be a better fit there. I'm a fan of one of their other restaurants, Carbone's, so if this is anything close to that level, I'm in. Existing locations in NY, Vegas (Bellagio) and Paris. And I'll always welcome any new variety in Highland Park Village.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/05-12-21-sadelle-highland-park-village-bagels-royal-blue-grocery/

Now if someone could just figure out what the hell to do with that Yo Lobster space. We liked it the one time we tried it, but it looks to be struggling big time. Every time I drive by, it's dead, when there are 30 min waits at all the other places in there. Black hole where restaurants go to die.

Isn't Carbone's a Julian Barsotti thing? Or is there some other Carbone's I don't know about.

Sorry should have said Carbone, which is totally different than the Carbone’s here. Carbone is from NY (they’re also opening one of those here). I ate at the one in Vegas (Aria) and it was outstanding. More of a high end Fachini/Charles kind of place.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:04 AM, Landomatic said:

Rumor I heard was that Washburne just wanted something different in there and RB got non-renewed.  Could be total BS though.

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Rumor I heard was that Washburne just wanted something different in there and RB got non-renewed.  Could be total BS though.

Yeah I’ve heard that too. About places in there in general, not about Royal Blue specifically. I’m guessing due to the changes with their other location in Dallas, it might have been on The Royal Blue end. But hey, when you have the kind of fuck you money they have at Highland Park Village, they can afford to change up their toy with new accessories whenever they want. Have also heard they’re doing everything they can to get Starbucks gone too.

Edited by Landomatic

19 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah I’ve heard that too. About places in there in general, not about Royal Blue specifically. I’m guessing due to the changes with their other location in Dallas, it might have been on The Royal Blue end. But hey, when you have the kind of fuck you money they have at Highland Park Village, they can afford to change up their toy with new accessories whenever they want. Have also heard they’re doing everything they can to get Starbucks gone too.

I would love any other coffee place other than Starbucks in there though my kids might revolt!

This thread caught my eye as we were downtown on Monday and saw there's a Royal Blue going in at the Trammel Crow building off Ross Avenue. Really didn't make a ton of sense if they couldn't keep a space in Highland Park Village to then open in a space that will be a pretty big reach to maintain as there's not just a ton of a residential down there. I guess they're thinking they'll grab some museum patrons and downtown workers?

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2021 at 4:46 PM, mdmost said:

This thread caught my eye as we were downtown on Monday and saw there's a Royal Blue going in at the Trammel Crow building off Ross Avenue. Really didn't make a ton of sense if they couldn't keep a space in Highland Park Village to then open in a space that will be a pretty big reach to maintain as there's not just a ton of a residential down there. I guess they're thinking they'll grab some museum patrons and downtown workers?

Like I said earlier, I'm not sure that it was any failing in Royal Blue's operations that caused them to lose that space.  The one on Main Street by my office seems to be doing okay.